S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 14th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #21
JHB
Shuffling Member

Back in the late '80s-early '90s when I was speedskating competitively, I used what is now known as the Sure Grip Gripper toe stops (my rink sold them as "speed skate stops"; I have no idea who the mfr. was back then). I ran the trucks on my Prolines fairly loose, so I had to take my Dremel tool to each new pair of stops and relief-cut them in the rear corners, so I didn't get wheel bite while cross-stepping in the turns.

SG also has a Mini Gripper stop, which are probably a bit lighter than the regular Grippers since they're smaller. I used a set of them when I built my wife's quads last year.
Old July 14th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #22
idiveintoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
Back in the late '80s-early '90s when I was speedskating competitively, I used what is now known as the Sure Grip Gripper toe stops (my rink sold them as "speed skate stops"; I have no idea who the mfr. was back then). I ran the trucks on my Prolines fairly loose, so I had to take my Dremel tool to each new pair of stops and relief-cut them in the rear corners, so I didn't get wheel bite while cross-stepping in the turns.

SG also has a Mini Gripper stop, which are probably a bit lighter than the regular Grippers since they're smaller. I used a set of them when I built my wife's quads last year.
JHB, Thanks for your input . I'll look into the mini gripper stop even though the weight isn't an issue and I understand the biting. My problem was that my wheels would bite into the plate due to looseness of the trucks. I've since replaced the bushings to the newer urethane type since my ol rubber ones needed replacement which has made a difference. I didn't have a problem with the Hugger stop design at the time but they're old, seemingly hard and slip when stepping off on them. It would be nice if my local rinks had them in stock so I could see them first hand. At the present I'm undecided as to the stops I'll get as well as wheels since I feel like mine slip while moving around corners, especially when leaning, shuffling my feet and gaining speed. Everyone's thoughts, input and experience is greatly appreciated.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #23
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiveintoit View Post
GraySk8ter, This is off topic from my toe stop thread but, I've been eyeing those wheels I have my Ol Fanjets which are shown in a previous part of this thread. If I recall correctly they originally were a somewhat solid white urethane like yours without the red and have turned to a tye dyed butterscotch look in color and seem a little slick, especially when scooting around a corner on a wood floor and doing some footwork to keep on track. How do your red & white tires feel when shuffling around compared to your Naturals?
I believe you can buy Faster tires and use your Fanjet hubs with them. Contact Faster(info@fasterskates.com) to be absolutely sure. Tires run about $80 U.S. To answer your question: Both sets of wheels do admirably, but the harder naturals have just a bit more roll. I use them on an asphalt floor that is coated with urethane and a wood floor that is also coated with urethane. The toe stops are Snyder stops and are very good and obtained easily. The stops will run about $25 to $30.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #24
JorisKB

If you are not looking for toe starters, but actual toe stops that require a 180 switch to be usefull, but can actually stop you (I dunno how this can brake shorter than a good parallel slide though) , in Roller Derby, there are 2 good toe stops models :
- Atom-Bionic Super stoppers ;
- Roll Line amber round (figure) stopper (they make them in imperial threading)

You might want to flat the last ones since they come round.
Roll Line also makes a nice "hockey" stopper in imperial thread that is bigger (but not as big as traditionnal rink hockey stoppers) and comes flat.
Old August 13th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #25
dvw
Secretary of Skate

You can still get the Power Trac cutaway "toe starts". Sure Grip still makes them, hollow shaft and all. There are some old stock ones still around, but some of them have gotten a little crusty.

They also still make the blue Nova stops. Those are pretty solid.
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #26
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Yep. I agree.

Kids........ Who stops for kids?. Bahahahahahahaha.
My thoughts too. If you need to brake for kids then you are not really skating speed. There should be no need to brake when skating speed. The only time I put a toe stop on any of my skates is when I skate session.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #27
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
My thoughts too. If you need to brake for kids then you are not really skating speed. There should be no need to brake when skating speed. The only time I put a toe stop on any of my skates is when I skate session.
Who needs toe stops?

the only time I put on stoppers... is never... not even when playing derby.

During races I've had people run on stoppers only to fall behind me when I use a lateral start.

Anyone that puts a toestop in a prime location for runing on them isn't going to have the front axle in a good position for skating fast, and I'll pass them even if they do get off the line faster.

I dont brake for anyone unless absolutely needed. Theres almost always a way out or around someone
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #28
Gee

Well, if you do not like putting the sling around the wheel or truck...

Old December 14th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #29
AZSHOT

I'm shopping for toe stops today, started for my wife's Riedell 265s that have worn out 30 year old ones. Then decided to get a new set for my 695s too.

Why toe stops for speed skating? I don't know about today, but I've always used them since the 1970s. And the speed skates always had them. And I like to turn around to stop. And I run when taking off on my toes. And i like the feel of bumping the toe when shuffle sesson skating. Enough reasons for me! The real question is why not? Do you take your spare tire out of the trunk too, to save weight, and because you'll "probably not use it?" Not I.

AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #30
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Thread resurrection:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
I'm shopping for toe stops today, started for my wife's Riedell 265s that have worn out 30 year old ones. Then decided to get a new set for my 695s too.

Why toe stops for speed skating? I don't know about today, but I've always used them since the 1970s. And the speed skates always had them. And I like to turn around to stop. There's edging skills to stop in reverse if you like to flip around to stop for some reason. T stops,Plow stops, powers stops and hockey stop can all be done going backwards and are faster (excluding T stops) , they also add in edging which give control of direction on the fly which a toestop cannot, since all it can do is slide.And I run when taking off on my toes. And i like the feel of bumping the toe when shuffle sesson skating. Enough reasons for me! The real question is why not? Do you take your spare tire out of the trunk too, to save weight, and because you'll "probably not use it?" Not I.
1 car has no spares, 1 car has the spare
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #31
AZSHOT

I was taught to brake smoothly to a controlled stop, not lock them up!
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #32
MainUsSk8
Skateboard'nRollerskater

Default Sure grip has the hugger style stops.

I found the hugger style stops on the sure grip sight. They come in red,black,blue and white. I think they are Crest Stoppers. I still have some in red. But I think I'm gonna scoop up one of each here soon.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #33
fierocious1

When I built my plates, plates were not made to take toe stops. So far I have not missed them. Skates are a little lighter and like Mort said, you can bend the plates over as far as you like and not drag them by accident.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote