S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #1
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Default Redwood Roller Rink

Redwood Roller Rink in Redwood City, California will be closing its doors September 30th, 2017.

Thank you to the Pollard family for giving us a place to skate for over 40 years.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #2
larryoracing

Smile The PWR House of Singles Skating in the Early 70'S

My first memories of Roller Skating reminds me of the Champions who converged at Redwood City. Names like Joe Cartensen, Joanne Dillenger, Karen Marshall and possibly Dennis Collier.

If you skated singles and W/C you skated out of Redwood City and for Jim Pringle.

Many followed afterwards, like Kenny Orcutt, Denny Brown, Dale Cartensen, Lori Chamberlin and Gail Hudson (?).

I never competed at Redwood City, but everybody knew who skated their. They were the absolute best in the World. A force to be reckoned with.

Recently a lady approached at at the 2017 SW Pacific Regionals. It was Mrs. Pollard. I forgot her first name, but she introduced herself. She said "Larry I will be visiting Monterey next week". She did not know me but heard me talking to Mrs Heater, which I forgot her first name...Pat?

We live in small world and I asked if Mrs. Heater was related to Jim Heater? I was told it is his wife. I said " Mrs Heater, Jim use to judge me on my proficiency test 40 years ago, along with Al Nichols". She replied "he use to judge me also...lol"!

The skating family is very large and many ways very small. We are all a part of it, if you know somebody or not...but eventually you will... cross paths and be remembered.

Sincerely,

Larry O and I hope all the skaters can find a new home.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Motterman

I skated for Pringle at Redwood City in the late 80's, early 90's... some of the best times at that rink.

I miss pretty much everybody from that time... Paying for the years of stress on the knee, but back then it was worth it.

Heard about the rink closing and figured people might find their way here.

Best to all!
Motterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Motterman

Brenda Pollard Sturges
August 15 at 6:35pm

After a long and great run, I would like to announce that my mom, Suzie Pollard, is retiring. Please come and join our retirement celebration on Saturday, September 30, 2017 at the rink for an all day skate from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Redwood Roller Rink will be closing its doors on October 1st, so please come for a final skate and help us give my mom the send-off she deserves.

We would like to thank the city of Redwood City, the local community and our customers for their support throughout the years as well as the artistic club, derby and speed skaters that have passed through the rink’s doors and enriched our lives.

More details will follow in an official press release.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Motterman

https://thesixfifty.com/the-final-da...ca-d9b6fa0d718