S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 15th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile What’s on your mind?

Today three thoughts came to my mind.

1) I went to one of our International coaches and said “Do you know what we need?” She said “what?” I said we need a World Competition involving our adult skaters.

We have over 600 adult skaters who compete in Artistic Figure Skating. That is over 1/3 of the skaters who compete in America. We need a World meet where the best adult skaters compete from all around the world.

a) She thought for a second and said “Larry, no other country has adult Skaters”. She said they do not cater to adults/only the young children.

“Well” I said, “maybe we should start one on our own”. She replied “maybe we should”…LOL!

2) Next topic:

a) I was told the other day by one of our coaches for Saturday Afternoon Classes, that she teaches Outside Back Edges on the figure circles, because that is one of the basic elements if you ever want learn to jump or spin.

As an example an Axel is landed on the ROB edge. So, by practicing that edge on the Figure circle one learns how to land an axel on the ROB edge.

b) I spend hours practicing forward edges on the figure circles and down the main straight away down the rink. It’s amazing how practicing the basic things, brings strength, poise and balance to your skating. People notice and comment on how your skating is improving.

c) So I have been practicing the LOF edge, and the ROB edge and everybody knows how to do a waltz jump, right?

d) So, what is an axel, LOF edge on takeoff, LOB on Landing, and the landing is no more than a simple waltz jump, right? Well the only thing missing is the LOF forward loop at the beginning.

e) Many people actually practice and put this jump into their routine….a forward LOF, single rotation fwd loop jump. You take off on the LOF edge, do one revolution in the air and land on LOF edge, with a bunny hop landing, which means you land on your right toe stop, and push off onto the LOF landing edge/left foot.

e1) Put all four elements together and you have bone-a-fide axel jump. Pretty simple when you break it down into its individual pieces. It’s hard if you try to do them all at once, but by breaking down each element on its own, the jump becomes simple to master and understand.

3) How to improve your skating?

After Nationals our head coach asked “what place did you get?” I said “Next to last”. He said “I would go home, not practice any dances and just practice the boring stuff, like edges, Chasse’s and run steps”. I have done that for the last 6 weeks and my skating has improved enormously. See you at Nationals…lol!

Larry O

P.S. When you think about it, what differentiates a good skater from a bad skater. The good skater just has better basics, be it, looks, style, height in jumps and plain old good skating edges and footwork.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #2
Nostalgic

I've always thought of the Axel as a waltz jump followed by an OB loop. The "Super Waltz Jump".
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
That reminded me of what my instructor told me before I went to Regionals. He first asked me if I knew the difference between a good skater and a great skater. I said that the great skater could do more. He said that only a small part was the volume of content. He said the real answer is POLISH! The great skaters are polished skaters. They have the toe points and cleaner and more solid edges. They had the best posture, etc. He said that if I wanted to compete at Nationals that I had to watch the skaters from California and see how polished they were and I had to polish my skating even more.

So your assessment of good vs bad is pretty much what my instructor was saying about good and great. Thanks Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

P.S. When you think about it, what differentiates a good skater from a bad skater. The good skater just has better basics, be it, looks, style, height in jumps and plain old good skating edges and footwork.
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Slinkydog

I completely agree with you, adult skaters need something akin to a worlds event. They represent such a large portion of skaters after all.

Your statement about figures and basics improving overall skating is also what I've experienced. After a few weeks of practicing the basics, I've noticed an immense improvement.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:33 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile All great stuff and thanks for the comments?

(1) “I've always thought of the Axel as a waltz jump followed by an OB loop”

(1a) The "Super Waltz Jump".

Wow, Nostalgic that is quite a thought!

Imagining the waltz jump followed by and OB loop, reminds me of the song “Can you take me higher” by the group “WAR”. The jump starts off soft, but it gets bigger with the grand finale of an OB loop… simply amazing and a completely different way of looking at the historical single Axel jump.

(2) In comparison a typical single forward loop jump takes you to one level or ‘plane’, but descends upon landing to a simple ½ turn waltz jump. In one sense this simple landing is referred to as a “HIP Switch”, where upon switching the high Right Hip, on the LOF, to the low Hip on ROB landing., where the hip is now to the inside of the circle/lower side, low hip.

(3) The “Ancient One” said:

“They had the best posture, etc.”

“He said that if I wanted to compete at Nationals that I had to watch the skaters from California”…, ‘and see how polished they were’ … and “I had to polish my skating even more”.

(3a) No doubt that every era had its “Hay Day” of talent and at one time and probably many more,... California probably set high standards of excellence and technical achievement. I never was that good…lol!

But if you wanted to win you had to skate clean, everybody had the same stuff. Make one little ‘bobble’ and you got second. You were allowed one fall and you still could get third. End of story!

Everybody else went home, until next year and they were all VERY good/THE BEST, but only the excellent ones/the polished ones and poised skaters won the coveted honor of going to Nationals representing California and probably Redwood City under auspices of Jim Pringle.

AND YOUR WELCOME JIM!

(4) Slinkydog said:

“Your statement about figures and basics improving overall skating is also what I've experienced”. After a few weeks of practicing the basics, I've noticed an immense improvement.

(4a) I will add one little more comment I heard the other day in “jest”. If you go home and practice the same things you did before, don’t expect to get any better next year/you are just doing the same things that made you mediocre the year before.

(4b) You better go home and practice something you are weak in. Are you weak in your swings? Are your “Chasse’s”...like run steps? Can you tell the difference between your Chasse’s and your run steps or do they look the same?

(4b) Do your lobes have that up and down feeling, or do you “rock over” too soon and cut off the top of the lobe…in essence chopping off the figure and making a “B” line across the top of the figure, where actually there was a curve in the middle of the road…lol?

(4c) Does your stroking emulate the music you are skating too? Do your run steps emulate the beats of a March, A Tango and the Blues?

(4d) Are you stretching those run steps where you feel the pain and tension in the back of your thighs while skating. Do you skate on a bent knee, and stretch your toe points. What’s the difference between a progressive stroke and a “stretching” the toe point?

(5) Does your skating resemble a picket fence where your head stays the same height as you skate by it, or is your head going up and down as you stroke up and down around the corners of your dance.

These are just a few of the points beat into my head on a daily basis by my “pros” who want me to skate better. In essence to Win!

I will close with the question of what is a stroke or push. Does it start with four wheels, and then go to three wheels, then two and finally one wheel leaving the floor, getting every last once of power from that push?

I was told today “I would like to see you skate these dances big”…wall to wall, with power. “Can you do it?” Yes I can.

Larry "O", and best wishes to you all in 2017-2018.

It's going to be a great year!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
(1) “I've always thought of the Axel as a waltz jump followed by an OB loop”

[B](1a) The "Super

Wow, Nostalgic that is quite a thought!

Imagining the waltz jump followed by and OB loop, reminds me of the song “Can you take me higher” by the group “WAR”. The jump starts off soft, but it gets bigger with the grand finale of an OB loop… simply amazing and a completely different way of looking at the historical single Axel jump.

(2) In comparison a typical single forward loop jump takes you to one level or ‘plane’, but descends upon landing to a simple ½ turn waltz jump. In one sense this simple landing is referred to as a “HIP Switch”, where upon switching the high Right Hip, on the LOF, to the low Hip on ROB landing., where the hip is now to the inside of the circle/lower side, low hip.

I will close with the question of what is a stroke or push. Does it start with four wheels, and then go to three wheels, then two and finally one wheel leaving the floor, getting every last once of power from that push?

I was told today “I would like to see you skate these dances big”…wall to wall, with power. “Can you do it?” Yes I can.

Larry "O", and best wishes to you all in 2017-2018.

It's going to be a great year!
Guessing on both subjects: The waltz followed by the loop makes more sence because you've already done the hip switch int the waltz. But I only do the axel off skate.

remeber just guessing....

A stroke keeps all four on the floor. The rest is not stroking it's just picking up your foot.