S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #121
KeLLy

1200 usd for boots only????
that's like 800 euro's.
shocked !

You must love em and skating so much!

Gosh i feel so cheap, debating wether or not i can spend 300 euro's. (and my husband looked rather shocked when he heard the price... so i'm "working" on him). Ofc, for me it is purely a hobby. I tought it was gonna be a cheap one when i started fitness skating - lol .
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #122
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Ofc, for me it is purely a hobby. I thought it was gonna be a cheap one when i started fitness skating - lol .
KeLLY, that's how it all starts, a friend talks you into trying it, "c'mon everybody's doing it" so you try it and it feels good, next thing you know you get your own skates thinking, "this will be good enough, I won't need anything beyond this" and suddenly you're hopping up the skates, getting all sweaty and nervous, "I neeed mmm-more speed" and you're slinking around on the internet hanging out with other skate fiends, "pssst, hey buddy where do you get the good stuff? I mean the really good stuff, I mean I want to go fast" and now you're hooked. KeLLy, if you're here, it's too late.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #123
speedysktr
President of Everything

oi, the customs still feel better, no question, then again I'm one of those people with the goofy feet. For a stock boot, I have yet to see it's equal. I freakin' love it.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #124
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
they look good. interested to know if stock boot works just as well for you as customs. dave Simmons really is jazzed on his new S-1 last, and feels that stock boots will meet the needs of all but a few very unusual pairs of feet.
I'm not knocking Dave's stock boots, but I'll never buy another shelf boot for myself again. I went through 7 boots and thousands of dollars until I finally went the full custom route and it was the best decision I made, for me.

KeLLy, yes, $1200USD is a lot for just a pair of boots, but if you had seen the pains (both literally and figuratively) I was going through just to skate, you'd know why I went the route I did.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #125
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I'm not knocking Dave's stock boots, but I'll never buy another shelf boot for myself again. I went through 7 boots and thousands of dollars until I finally went the full custom route and it was the best decision I made, for me.

KeLLy, yes, $1200USD is a lot for just a pair of boots, but if you had seen the pains (both literally and figuratively) I was going through just to skate, you'd know why I went the route I did.
ummm, you didn't figure it out after the third one?

There is no magic boot for anyone, that's for sure. This one is so good that I put it on and told the unit, "gee, I guess I didn't need that full custom after all" <sike!!!>

I need the custom for skates over 90 minutes or so and I can say in no uncertain terms that this new boot, as much as I love it, would bother me just like all the rest if I were outdoor skating for over an hour.
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #126
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I need the custom for skates over 90 minutes or so and I can say in no uncertain terms that this new boot, as much as I love it, would bother me just like all the rest if I were outdoor skating for over an hour.
Bingo! This is where I really needed the custom. When I'd do pack skating and hill training in excess of an hour, the shelf boots just wouldn't cut it.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #127
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
1200 usd for boots only????
that's like 800 euro's.
shocked !

You must love em and skating so much!

Gosh i feel so cheap, debating wether or not i can spend 300 euro's. (and my husband looked rather shocked when he heard the price... so i'm "working" on him). Ofc, for me it is purely a hobby. I tought it was gonna be a cheap one when i started fitness skating - lol .
How I going to pay for my custom skates.

Since I started skating last May (at 256lbs) I started getting in shape and stopped a $4 a day habit at 7-11 for the daily coke, chips, cookies and candy. Do the math. Since I skate, I don't pay for a gym. Clothing is cheaper be cause I now fit in a "normal" size. I go to the doctor less due to being healthier. It all adds up.
Oh yeah, think of all the other hobbies I could have thrown money at.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #128
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
How I going to pay for my custom skates.

Since I started skating last May (at 256lbs) I started getting in shape and stopped a $4 a day habit at 7-11 for the daily coke, chips, cookies and candy. Do the math. Since I skate, I don't pay for a gym. Clothing is cheaper be cause I now fit in a "normal" size. I go to the doctor less due to being healthier. It all adds up.
Oh yeah, think of all the other hobbies I could have thrown money at.
The next step is the set of wheels a month club... But not buying a latte a day would cover that, but I don't buy one already...Lunch is now twice as expensive...All that fruit and veggies...

So in the end it all works out...
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #129
madisonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_kev_at_oz View Post
my current freeskates:

Risport RFR Carbon boot
Roll-Line Mistral Plate
Giotto Wheels
and my fav red stoppers :P
Great looking skates. I'm looking for new boots, who sells risports here in the US?
madisonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #130
TRS-SKATER
***** Leprochaun xD

The internet does.
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #131
Nature1992
Begginer Skater

Well.. it looks damn cheap.. and it does.. it fits perfectly to my feet.. i love my skate.. Though i hate it at times because it smells like manure after a long day of skate.., theres not much ventilation inside my skates. I didn't know the brand until i actually went to the website. (i thought the word JJJ Jones was something else )
Nature1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #132
terrablader

i use Dr Scholls Super Deodorant Powder on my gear.. works great smell goes right away

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=terrablader"]Click for Youtube videos[/URL]
terrablader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #133
TRS-SKATER
***** Leprochaun xD

^Product bump??
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #134
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Finally getting around to posting pics of Napalm's new skates. We started her out with a 4x90 frame and 84mm wheels, then up to 4x90, now we're pushing the envelope and giving her a shot on the 5x84's. I figured this was the perfect set-up to take the picture with. Such tiny feet (5.5), so much rail!

JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #135
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Finally getting around to posting pics of Napalm's new skates. We started her out with a 4x90 frame and 84mm wheels, then up to 4x90, now we're pushing the envelope and giving her a shot on the 5x84's. I figured this was the perfect set-up to take the picture with. Such tiny feet (5.5), so much rail!

JB
Hey! I know those frames
The 5x84 seems way to big for Napalm! A short 4x90 might be better.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #136
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Hey! I know those frames
The 5x84 seems way to big for Napalm! A short 4x90 might be better.

Yeah it does! We'll give a report after the maiden voyage today. The 4x90 is what she was on but the frame that we have is the one off the TFS 90 and it really mounts too far back on her speedboot so we might be in the market for another 4x90 frame, hmmmmmm maybe 3x100?! JB

P.S. - Thanks again for the frame, either way they'll get there use, I love 'em.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #137
speedysktr
President of Everything

disagree. Try it and give it a few outings. Make sure you ride the wave, find the rhythm.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #138
TRS-SKATER
***** Leprochaun xD

are those wheels supposed to touch?
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #139
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

There should be about a 1/2mm gap between the wheels.
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #140
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
disagree. Try it and give it a few outings. Make sure you ride the wave, find the rhythm.
Results are in and posted in the Training Log. Looks like the set-up is a keeper. "riding the wave" - that's what we both need to do, we work too hard at it and steal our own roll. JB