S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 22nd, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Speed limited..

I guess talent means nothing. All of our group and every one else is now shut down to a crawl. Hunting a new place to play. I never thought Chamions Roller World would ever do anything like this. We hit no one and self regulate our speed if traffic gets too thick. The floor was very light today and we were all called down while going slow. Out of there.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default I sort of understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I guess talent means nothing. All of our group and every one else is now shut down to a crawl. Hunting a new place to play. I never thought Chamions Roller World would ever do anything like this. We hit no one and self regulate our speed if traffic gets too thick. The floor was very light today and we were all called down while going slow. Out of there.
On Friday night a kid turned abruptly across the traffic flow just in front of me. I dodged them but ended up clipping a lady's skates, who went down, then I went down myself and slid out under two kids. No injuries, but the lady had a few stern things to say to me... and probably rightly so; I was going too fast given the circumstances.

Maybe you should wait it out and see if it blows over?
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:43 AM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
On Friday night a kid turned abruptly across the traffic flow just in front of me. I dodged them but ended up clipping a lady's skates, who went down, then I went down myself and slid out under two kids. No injuries, but the lady had a few stern things to say to me... and probably rightly so; I was going too fast given the circumstances.

Maybe you should wait it out and see if it blows over?
Several years ago I had a head on with a wrong way skater. Fractured skull in twoplaces. How about going after wanna be skaters and other offenders instead of the regular best you have crew? Yeah... well too far to drive to creep along(1 hour and 20 minutes). I should skate handicapped, clip ons with sandals... with the nastiest greasiest slimyest bearings dripping with lube....
Old April 23rd, 2018, 03:40 AM   #4
wyodinosaur

That stinks that they don't recognise talent and judge accordingly. I would be mad too.

Maybe they had some incident and are now over-compensating for it. It might go back to normal after a while.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Several years ago I had a head on with a wrong way skater. Fractured skull in two places. How about going after wanna be skaters and other offenders instead of the regular best you have crew? Yeah... well too far to drive to creep along(1 hour and 20 minutes). I should skate handicapped, clip ons with sandals... with the nastiest greasiest slimyest bearings dripping with lube....
It probably comes down to the legislation regarding public liability and personal injury in your location and to what degree the rink's insurance can mitigate that. From the rink owner's point of view, it doesn't matter who is the most regular or more proficient skater, only who is accountable in the event of an accident and pays the bill. If the risk is too high, then there's no choice but do something about it.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:24 PM   #6
amohrfeld

You could go Thursday night.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:27 PM   #7
wired

Quote:
It probably comes down to the legislation regarding public liability and personal injury...
I seriously doubt that.

If rink owners were liable for the inherent risks of skating there would be no skating rinks. It is far better for skaters to think about skating than dream up paranoid political conspiracies.

Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:35 PM   #8
wired

Quote:
I guess talent means nothing.
To those operating a rink that is definitely true!

What matters is the gate, rentals, sales and concessions. The $$$.

If you are in any way impeding that your "talent" is an obstacle to the enterprise.

OTOH if you delight rather than scare the funding sources you will likely find a much better reception. Your demeanor, socialization, appearance and everything else about you play into acceptance rather than rejection.

I'd say give it some time and try again. Maybe alone or with a smaller group. Start slow, demonstrate your skills. Only pick up the speed when it starts clearing out at the end of the session.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day skating. In general I find even a bad day skating is better than a lot of other days...

Old April 23rd, 2018, 03:22 PM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
To those operating a rink that is definitely true!

What matters is the gate, rentals, sales and concessions. The $$$.

If you are in any way impeding that your "talent" is an obstacle to the enterprise.

OTOH if you delight rather than scare the funding sources you will likely find a much better reception. Your demeanor, socialization, appearance and everything else about you play into acceptance rather than rejection.

I'd say give it some time and try again. Maybe alone or with a smaller group. Start slow, demonstrate your skills. Only pick up the speed when it starts clearing out at the end of the session.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day skating. In general I find even a bad day skating is better than a lot of other days...

They know the group is talented. We are 6 to 10 people usually. Skate cleanly. I have been going there for 8 years.
I got in about an hour of skate time in slo mo... its my cardio time. Too slow for cardio so Im not wasting my time, I left and drove the hour and 20 minutes home. Seeking a closer rink that can work, not expecting good results from the hunt. I may have to go to outdoors. It was not a good day. Wasting skate time is a bad thing.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:42 PM   #10
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I seriously doubt that. If rink owners were liable for the inherent risks of skating there would be no skating rinks. It is far better for skaters to think about skating than dream up paranoid political conspiracies.
The last decent skating rinks in the Sydney metro area closed about 15 years ago. It wasn't about attendance, but not being able to afford the insurance or the legal bills any more.

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003...064184502.html

No paranoid conspiracy, just the facts of life here.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 10:01 PM   #11
jotson

Quote:
I should skate handicapped, clip ons with sandals... with the nastiest greasiest slimyest bearings dripping with lube....
I hear the light-up wheels will give you a good workout

Hope you find a good rink nearby - they have been dropping down over the years.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 02:28 AM   #12
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default Try this one....

http://www.news.com.au/finance/small...4947b093d2576f
Old April 24th, 2018, 02:35 AM   #13
wired

Quote:
No paranoid conspiracy, just the facts of life here.
Thanks for the link!

Interesting way you interpret the article.

No laws changed. No large payment awarded. So nothing like you claim.

The last paragraph completely destroys your argument "The facts are simple enough. The plaintiff must have known . . . that falls occur to skaters..." I can't imagine that after a appeals court issues such a ruling that any contingency lawyer would take any case like the original or subsequent 18 in 12 months. Sounded like a gravy train, but no gravy so the train is now stopped. Fully. And unlikely to start again. Since the link was 15 years ago are the dockets jammed with such? I seriously doubt it.

The meat in the story is "rising property prices". In many cases a rink or other entertainment venture is a real estate deal. Buy inexpensive property on the outskirts of town and get the attendees to pay it off by the time you retire. Live off the income not devoted to debt service and cash out when the property becomes more valuable. Not hard to figure and for many of the rinks that close pretty much what happens.

Renting property to run a roller rink is a dicey proposition. Too much improvement to another person's property to be a viable return.

Old April 24th, 2018, 05:53 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Rink drama/poor management. Stuff just pops up. It is like the frog in the hot water. If it is too hot, the frog jumps out. But if you turn up the heat slowly, the frog will stay in the water until it is cooked. Management is the frog here. Be cool, go slower, and gradually bring the speed back up. Gotta try and fight smart with stuff like this.
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:28 AM   #15
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Really?? I was skating there last week and had planned to go down tomorrow night for the retro session. Their site says the same "Closed due to the safety concerns of our staff" message on all the session times, and the Contact Us page is missing.

I hope it blows over and they open again soon.
Old April 24th, 2018, 07:18 AM   #16
leshomes

Angry Closed permanently

Quote:
Really?? I was skating there last week and had planned to go down tomorrow night for the retro session. Their site says the same "Closed due to the safety concerns of our staff" message on all the session times, and the Contact Us page is missing.

I hope it blows over and they open again soon.
I read an article that the rink has shutdown permanently, google is showing opening hours as permanently closed. I guess the social warriors won.
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #17
quantoo

Default I think some people need to take a spoon full of cement and harden up

people are too precious these days.political correctness has gone too far.
No wonder grizzly adams f2c3ked off from the human race.
Got 2 get me a dogs are the best people T shirt one day.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #18
ursle
Street Skater

So much Lounge Lizzard drama.

Just skate outdoors, it's free.

If the ground's frozen, skate on ice

It's free.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:35 PM   #19
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

About a week ago, a couple of cops were ambushed and killed. On a lunch break I believe.

No one lost their business.

No statues were torn down.

No riots, broken windows, or burning cars.

There were reports of crickets chirping.

Now 2 lesbians get their panties in a bunch and all this happens.

A backlash to this sh*t is coming.

And when it does, I will be ready with my popcorn.
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #20
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
I read an article that the rink has shutdown permanently, google is showing opening hours as permanently closed. I guess the social warriors won.
It's a small rink and only lightly attended, so it was probably just making ends meet. This might have been the last straw, but I really hope they survive.