S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 12th, 2018, 02:21 PM   #1
AZSHOT

Default What is the best rink in San Diego?

Hi, I'll be going to San Diego for a business trip. Are there any big, well maintained rinks you can recommend? I'll be staying north of La Jolla, so anywhere up the coast would be fine.

My preference is adult nights and not tripping over a bunch of kids with their rolling dam things. Thanks!
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 02:57 AM   #2
netplaceus
David

SkateWorld

6907 Linda Vista Rd, Kearny Mesa Shopping Center, San Diego, CA 92111
Adult night Tuesday 8PM

North of that: (60 miles or so)

Epic Rollertainment 39809 Avenida Acacias Murrieta, CA 92563
Adult night Wednesday 8PM

More north: (90 miles or so)

Fountain Valley Skating Center 9105 Recreation Circle Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Adult night Thursday 8PM

I sometimes go to all 3 every week! I think all 3 are fun, don't really have a favorite. SkateWorld and Fountain Valley have one big floor, Epic Rollertainment has an island in the center. but it's is still way cool place to skate.
Traffic is not too bad as most of it is after rush hour. Check their websites for times and pictures. All are average (decent) size. Have fun!
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:26 PM   #3
AZSHOT

Thanks.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 03:13 AM   #4
Boarddesign

Super bummed since moving here… Skating is no so good here. I should say skating rinks not so good. I've been to all the ones you suggested (I think, if the one up north is right on the 405 and has a grey coated floor?), none of them were good. I moved here from Ventura, it is one of the best I've ever seen and has some ultra talented young jammers. oh well…
Boarddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 06:16 PM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Anywhere up the coast would be fine???????

Well, that statement is kind of vague and leaves the possibilities unlimited...lol!

I think mention is made of Fountain Valley Skating Center. A couple of years ago when I just got back into skating, Fountain Valley had a Blue/grey coated plastic floor with a huge dip/wave down one side of the floor.

Well, they fixed that, stripped the floor, took the big wave out and recoated the
floor with clear plastic. That floor is fine and just about as good as any floor you could find, these days...lol!

There are many skating rinks up the coast.

1) I'm guessing about 70 miles up from Fountain Valley is Northridge Skating Center. That floor has be one of the best skating floors in the world.
A year or so ago, they put in a brand new Maple Wood floor in. That is the ultimate! They made a decision not to plastic coat the floor. It is all natural wood and a 'dream' to skate on.

2) There are other skating rinks also, Like San Bernadino. It's about 30 miles east of Fountain Valley Skating Center. It is a big floor and skates fine. It doesn't look fine, and the building is kind of old and rustic but the floor is fine.

3) I heard about another skating rink, that I have never gone to. It's actually three skating rinks under one roof. And the floor(s) is/are different. It's kind of a particle board floor(s) . I have never been there. It's just up the freeway from Fountain Valley skating center. I hear it's where the Anaheim Ducks Ice Hockey team practices when they want to do Roller Skating Hockey practice, when they are not skating on ice.

4) Another Skating rink which is small is Glendale. It's a smaller rink with a perfect floor and is up about 60 miles north of Fountain Valley Skating center.
More inland rather than up the coast.

5) Mention has been made of Ventura Skating Center/Skating Plus. Fine floor, big and they sell beer there! How about that. Be careful when drinking and skating. That can become dangerous if you are not careful...lol! That rink is probably 100 miles north of Fountain Valley Skating Center, on the coast...lol!
Probably to far north to drive to. Getting to the outer limits..lol, but it is along the coast...lol!!!!

6) The last skating rink is probably 24 miles NE of Fountain Valley Skating. It is Holiday/Orange Skating center. Big floor and probably full of Jam/type skaters.

I skate there for Artistic Dance and Figure Skating competitions. In fact ,we have a competition there next week.

Most of these rinks are a good distance from San Diego, but they are "up the coast"...lol! and good luck and thanks for listening.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
6) The last skating rink is probably 24 miles NE of Fountain Valley Skating. It is Holiday/Orange Skating center. Big floor and probably full of Jam/type skaters.
Larry O
In 11 years, I have never seen any appreciable Jam or JB type skaters at Holiday. A one off here and there only.

I have only been to Northridge on a Friday or Saturday. Excellent Black music that I have never heard, but good stuff, and some very good skaters. Bring your A game. This place pulls out the best in you. As opposed to how Fountain Valley has gone the last several years, TERRIBLE rap music that makes you want to curl up and die. Certainly not skate.
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:14 AM   #7
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
In 11 years, I have never seen any appreciable Jam or JB type skaters at Holiday. A one off here and there only.

I have only been to Northridge on a Friday or Saturday. Excellent Black music that I have never heard, but good stuff, and some very good skaters. Bring your A game. This place pulls out the best in you. As opposed to how Fountain Valley has gone the last several years, TERRIBLE rap music that makes you want to curl up and die. Certainly not skate.
I agree about Fountain Valley, but I'm not into rap. Between Fountain Valley and Skateworld and Epic, I like Epic the best. Largely because they play a variety of music and it's not as crowded. They also have a real DJ not the general staff running a programed script. Somehow to me the place feels more like a skate family. They also CARE about safety, clean floor, excellent condition, well maintained. Oh, and you don't see those stupid skate mates on adult night. Talk about a vibe killer!

I like the music at Epic myself and they have verity. It's like 10% slow in beginning, 70% high energy, 20% slow romantic "baby making" music in the end, often 30 or 40 minutes after normal closing time! It's a really nice wind down, couples love it. They almost never kick you out at the 11PM closing time. The food, drink selection and quality at Epic is crazy good for a skate center.

Northridge, never been but skate friends tell me it's wonderful. Many people go to all 4 places every week!

What's best? Depends allot on the music you like, if you don't like black music, or more R&B, rap, you may like Fountain and Nortrige a little less.
It is what it is. I'm tired of people bitching about the music, it's not right or wrong, it's what you enjoy. I try to got into all of it.

Tuue , the San Diego skate scene is not as good as LA as a whole, but we all still love it!
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:32 AM   #8
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarddesign View Post
Super bummed since moving here… Skating is no so good here. I should say skating rinks not so good. I've been to all the ones you suggested (I think, if the one up north is right on the 405 and has a grey coated floor?), none of them were good. I moved here from Ventura, it is one of the best I've ever seen and has some ultra talented young jammers. oh well…
Sorry, San Diego can't compete with Ventura these days. It's to bad too because San Diego started with an arguably richer history of skating then LA
ever had. That being said, you will still find some unbelievably talented skaters here! Once you settle in and make new friends I think you will feel much better.
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
What's best? Depends allot on the music you like, if you don't like black music, or more R&B, rap, you may like Fountain and Nortrige a little less.
It is what it is. I'm tired of people bitching about the music, it's not right or wrong, it's what you enjoy. I try to got into all of it.
Wednesday at Holiday in Orange, we have all request. We get some 70's, a good amount of 80's, and some 90's and new stuff too. Good mix. Not into the black vibe so much, but when I get up to Northridge, get ready to bring it. The music is great. Nothing I know, just grab the beat and go. The problem at Fountain Valley largely boils to one guy. Used to be a floor guard, is now a manager. The dude is cursed. He walks by, flowers wilt, babies cry, and dogs growl. He has NO taste in music whatsoever.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:32 AM   #10
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Wednesday at Holiday in Orange, we have all request. We get some 70's, a good amount of 80's, and some 90's and new stuff too. Good mix. Not into the black vibe so much, but when I get up to Northridge, get ready to bring it. The music is great. Nothing I know, just grab the beat and go. The problem at Fountain Valley largely boils to one guy. Used to be a floor guard, is now a manager. The dude is cursed. He walks by, flowers wilt, babies cry, and dogs growl. He has NO taste in music whatsoever.
LOL! I know who you are describing so well...

Last edited by netplaceus; May 19th, 2018 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spell
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote