S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 30th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #1
maltoch

Default best quad skate bearing in the world

hi, if you re in a shop ...and you can buy all you want....which bearings set you will take.

maybe it is possible to vote.
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #2
fierocious1

Default If you are a world class speed skater..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoch View Post
hi, if you re in a shop ...and you can buy all you want....which bearings set you will take.

maybe it is possible to vote.
Whatever your sponsor can afford... otherwise, $1.50 for a pair of little used inlines skates at the goodwill store that has standard sized 8mm bearings will do just fine. Been using them for over 2 years with no lube added and no issues. If they roll good smoothly, roll'em...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #3
maltoch

if you roll around the house maybe...but if you roll everyday...you search the best.
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #4
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Fafnirs
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #5
fierocious1

Default I see this thread over and over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoch View Post
if you roll around the house maybe...but if you roll everyday...you search the best.
The question is asked over and over many times a year. YOu could put all the bearings you can find on a simulator and not find enough difference between the cheapies and the high end ones to amount to much. If you want to impress me with bearings, skate in the rain with stainless bearings. We used lots of bearings in equipment that gets multiple washdowns a weekly in food factories. Bearings were dying all the time no matter that they were greased regularly. Still they died. We as a group voted to try stainless bearings on equipment as an experiment, trying to eliminate loss of man hours due to bearing failure. We succeeded by finding bearings that were stainless. Long life with no lubrication at all. They outlasted all the greased bearings hands down.
Dry skating would not be affected much from one brand to another. You are not taking any of the bearings beyond their design parameters anyway. Unless maybe you are skating on the cheapiest... coned outer shell crap bearings... used in ultra cheap inlines for little kids.
If you skate outdoors, do your maintenance or your bearings will die( get ones that are tear down friendly). if indoors, skate the crap out of them and don't look back. One bearing is just as fast as the others.
I don't have time to clean bearings, I run them till they die and chunk them. Put in a new set(sorry, fresher set) and go again. I have enough goodwill used (lightly used) bearings to last me till I die already. Been running the set I have now on the 3rd set of skates, over 2 years with no attention at all. They roll really well.
If you want to make improvements, buy wheels. You will get much more improvements per dollar spent on wheels. The difference in the performance of wheels is much broader than the difference in performance of bearings. So you have much more to gain in wheels than in bearings. Pick the hardness for grip that you wish to attain, and color if you need color matching, fully metal hubbed not hub capped crap, in other words......... Corey Scott's are the best all around. If you get specific for speed only you may want to buy Shamans or something else. But Scott's cover just about everything very well and you could do no wrong getting a couple of sets in differing duros with out pigment.
Also others will tell you there is much to be said for a well set up pair of skates. Set up for YOU. The way you skate, the way you move and how you corner or carve. A boot that fits, a plate that turns with you, wheels that grip or slip as you like... to your preference. It is a package that comes together. AS the variables are tamed, you tune less and skate more. Things begin to work together with you not making you work for it. Also money spent is not everything. My skates could be built for less than $600 but the machine work and tuning can't be bought, as well as the test time it takes to sort it out. Skating is a commitment to freedom and fitness. The freedom to forget life's issues when enjoying your skate time. Fitness from enjoying that freedom..
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #6
maltoch

fafnirs ok. i know they are well known.
and next you will choose ?
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Comedy time. :P

13302s. 6900s, 167s 688s 607s 608s 627s.... If you can make it fit, roll it. This whole sk8 bearing thing is 1000% bull$hit.

If you are a TOP level international speed sk8r and need that extra millisecond, well, good luck finding it in bearings, but do keep trying. If you are doing anything else, you are wasting your money on big bang bearings.

I have baffled way to many national level inline speed sk8rs just by swapping shields between brands and ABEC ratings. You only think you can tell them apart because you know they are different. I have caught so many sk8rs just putting ABEC 7 shields on ABEC 1s. Amazing how fast those ABEC 1s were when they had ABEC 7 shields in them.

Until I can see dynamic engineering data that shows otherwise.. You know graphs, numbers REAL instrumented data, I am not buying the hype. I have done enough double blind tests to know better..
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:36 AM   #8
fierocious1

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
13302s. 6900s, 167s 688s 607s 608s 627s.... If you can make it fit, roll it. This whole sk8 bearing thing is 1000% bull$hit.

If you are a TOP level international speed sk8r and need that extra millisecond, well, good luck finding it in bearings, but do keep trying. If you are doing anything else, you are wasting your money on big bang bearings.

I have baffled way to many national level inline speed sk8rs just by swapping shields between brands and ABEC ratings. You only think you can tell them apart because you know they are different. I have caught so many sk8rs just putting ABEC 7 shields on ABEC 1s. Amazing how fast those ABEC 1s were when they had ABEC 7 shields in them.

Until I can see dynamic engineering data that shows otherwise.. You know graphs, numbers REAL instrumented data, I am not buying the hype. I have done enough double blind tests to know better..
That's what I'm talking about!
Old May 31st, 2016, 02:00 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Yeap, a LOT of people mistake that a fafnir bearing is the best when thats not really the case. It only rolls so well because most skate wheels are crap for alignment, so the loose internal clearances help keep things rolling without the bearings fighting against one another.

As long as a bearing is kept clean and oiled with good lubricants to keep wear to a minimum and constantly polish the raceways (which is why running with no seals/shields is foolish)

There are ways to purposely build a beqring setup for quad or inline skating to try and "maximize" performances, but its like chasing after a tiny swiss miss marshmallow when theres a bag of jumbo campfire marshmallows behind ya you can have.
Old May 31st, 2016, 02:24 AM   #10
fierocious1

Default if

drag was so big of an issue for a set of bearings to slow a person down while skating, you would see it in the form of heat and could measure the difference with a digital thermometer after a few laps. Friction creates heat. Bearings that do have heat in motors or other devices get their heat from the motors and devices themselves. When the bearing does fail from lack of lubrication, heat is then created in the bearing and the bearing can actually melt down, if there is enough HP to keep the motor running with the friction. I have seen large electric motors self destruct from bearing failure and it is a bizarre sight to behold! What happened to the worst motor failure I have witnessed is that the bearing failed and the sensor that was in the motor detecting motor temperatures was bypassed by a technician. This resulted in heat increasing so much and the motor's horsepower was so much it did not stop but kept running. The heat kept climbing until the shaft heated up enough to bend. And bend it did! After the destruction and fire, the end of the motor was gone, bell housing gone. Opposite end broken apart. Gearbox water jacket/housing blown apart. In the end the shaft was bent about 30 degrees at the bearing race. When the shaft hit the floor it was red hot! The motor was a 350hp DC electric motor, 100% duty cycle.... Bad to the bone!
That is what friction and heat does. Skates bearings do not make that kind of heat, ever...
I tore down a motor last week with bearings in it not much bigger than what we use in skates. The old grease was turned to almost a solid. It stalled the bearing and produced so much friction that it slowed the motor. Just enough to slow the motor down to keep it from reaching running rpm, which overheated the windings in the motor. Killing the motor. I shot degreaser in the bearings and gave them a spin.... smooth again.... funny how that works.... The bearings did show some heat but the old grease killed the motor...not the bearings
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:41 AM   #11
quantoo

Default i have a least favorite quad bearing but havent tried any crapp

6 ball bones swiss. didnt think these rolled as good as a 7 ball bones .but they are reliable. everyone says mind over matter but i swapped around a couple of times in the same wheels ,same session the difference in my imagination was i had to work wisker harder.
like the sg 8 balls not that reliable the first gen 1's,but i really like these ceramic stealth sport bearings they haven't let me down.
Depends on grease or oil or dry,Tried various oils, hate grease.
I just use bones speed cream. dunno whats in it could be supermarket oil as far as i know. im just goin to keep using it cos i trust the product and it makes my wheels roll faster that any wheel in the universe including top fueler's, aircraft landing wheels and land speed record cars{in my mind}.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:49 PM   #12
bub

Thumbs up

Hi Guys I have tried the QUBE 8 Ball okay and the Ceramic okay but I am skating on the Qube Gold and really like these they roll really smooth and I've had them for 2-3 years no problem or any cleaning or lube
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:55 AM   #13
leshomes

Fafnirs or Qube 8 ball, I'm not good enough to tell the difference in Deanos or Scott's.

Last edited by leshomes; June 1st, 2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: auto correct!
leshomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #14
jbprophoto
Old Skool Quad Skater

Bones Swiss bearings are currently the best in a non ceramic set-up in 7mm.

I also like 7mm Bionic Swiss which you can't buy anymore for around AUS$100 per set. Bones Swiss at AUS$175 are noticably better than Bionic Swiss, more effortless and noticably smoother and just a nicer skate experience all round. Are they $75 AUS better ? Depends if you want the best or not and how fussy you are? If you want the best then Bones Swiss are as good as it gets, but you won't get as much out of them for the extra $$ if you are not a fairly experienced skater with good feeling in your feet and good feeling through your wheels.
jbprophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #15
amohrfeld

We were working on a Porsche wheel bearing a few years ago. There was significant friction from the shield. We removed and machined the shield so it no longer rubbed. The bearing spun forever after the modification. My point: you are more likely to see issues in the shield than in the balls.

That said, I can feel a difference when rolling on new or recently cleaned bearings.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #16
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbprophoto View Post
Bones Swiss bearings are currently the best in a non ceramic set-up in 7mm.

I also like 7mm Bionic Swiss which you can't buy anymore for around AUS$100 per set. Bones Swiss at AUS$175 are noticably better than Bionic Swiss, more effortless and noticably smoother and just a nicer skate experience all round. Are they $75 AUS better ? Depends if you want the best or not and how fussy you are? If you want the best then Bones Swiss are as good as it gets, but you won't get as much out of them for the extra $$ if you are not a fairly experienced skater with good feeling in your feet and good feeling through your wheels.

Have you tried Fafnirs
Old November 12th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #17
jbprophoto
Old Skool Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Have you tried Fafnirs
I had the old Fafnirs 25 years ago and they were really good but can't get the current ones in Australia. I assume you are implying they are really good and you can still buy them new elsewhere ? What sort of cost in US $$ is a set ??
jbprophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 04:58 AM   #18
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

You cant get new ones.
I brought up a few sets over the years.
Bone swiss are a good bearing but nothing comes close to a fafnir.
Loose tolerance quality bearings only problem with some is the chamfer on them bitch to get out even with a puller.
I've got bone swiss and bone ceramics GMN nsk ksk nachi cube 8 ball labeda super bearings and hands down fafnir is a better Skate bearing.
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #19
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
You cant get new ones.
I brought up a few sets over the years.
Bone swiss are a good bearing but nothing comes close to a fafnir.
Loose tolerance quality bearings only problem with some is the chamfer on them bitch to get out even with a puller.
I've got bone swiss and bone ceramics GMN nsk ksk nachi cube 8 ball labeda super bearings and hands down fafnir is a better Skate bearing.

If you swapped the Fafnir bearing balls for matching size Si3N4 ceramic balls, would it become a better than Fafnir bearing?

If so, then I highly doubt that any all steel Fafnir's are really better than the best currently in-production Si3N4 ceramic ball bearings are.

-Armadillo
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:29 AM   #20
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Just a quick one.
Ceramic bearings are a wank.....