S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #141
JWU42

Getting back into the swing of things after 2 weeks in a walking boot...

Friday, August 18th

6.02 - 25:50 - 14 Mph Avg - 3:55 (15.3 Mph) / 4:35 (13.1 Mph)

This was in my old rec boots. They do have some newer BSB Swiss bearings that have now been run in about 75 miles. This time of 25:50 beats my old PR by almost 90 seconds - a NOT insignificant amount.

I am going to try again with my old wheels and bearings to see what the time looks like. I assume it will return to the normal 27:20 +/-

** My first 15Mph + mile
JWU42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #142
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWU42 View Post
** My first 15Mph + mile
Congrats! May there be more of those in your future.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #143
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Did I say that? Maybe I'm tapir'd too.

Are they dark meat or white meat? JB
Hahahhahaa. Hahaha. That's good.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #144
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Btw, forgot to say welcome back Tawni. I'm glad everyone is slowly filtering back in. I was worried we would lose some people since the board was down so long (a couple of weeks are like ages). If you build it, they will come back
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #145
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Omg, I'm glad you're ok. That crossing really scares me. You're good at saves - I'm not sure what I would have done it that situation. Probably just fly across the road screaming and hoping for the best.
Thanks for the concern. I really wasn't painting pretty pictures in my head at the time of my realization. What's funny is the part about being good at saves. The only way a person gets good at anything is by repetition, in order to be good at saves, one has to frequently need "saving". JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #146
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

MVirtue: Are we communicating? I did email a return and a PM. Did you recieve? (sorry guys, personal use) JB
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #147
desertkiwi
Make It Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Btw, forgot to say welcome back Tawni. I'm glad everyone is slowly filtering back in. I was worried we would lose some people since the board was down so long (a couple of weeks are like ages). If you build it, they will come back
Thanks, Jessica. I really missed 'hanging out' with you guys, even if only virtually!

JonB, when, err, I mean IF you should meet your doom as a hood ornament on a speeding Lincoln Navigator, can I have a few sets of your wheels and your Garmin?

On a serious note, I've read where you were getting a bit miffed with the 301. Street prices have dropped to about 150.00 and I'm considering it, but wondered what your feelings are at this point?

Tawni
desertkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #148
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
MVirtue: Are we communicating? I did email a return and a PM. Did you recieve? (sorry guys, personal use) JB
I got the email and I'd PMed you back.
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #149
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwind View Post
Thanks, Jessica. I really missed 'hanging out' with you guys, even if only virtually!
We miss you too! Where's the beer?

Quote:
JonB, when, err, I mean IF you should meet your doom as a hood ornament on a speeding Lincoln Navigator, can I have a few sets of your wheels and your Garmin?
Everything except the scooter wheels, I want a complimentary set mailed to everybody on the forum and the rest of them buried with me. Yes, I own that many.

Quote:
On a serious note, I've read where you were getting a bit miffed with the 301. Street prices have dropped to about 150.00 and I'm considering it, but wondered what your feelings are at this point? Tawni
Well, mixed feelings. I still think there's something awry (like a weak internal battery) but the outcome is a blessing in itself. I don't wear it on my wrist anymore, but strap it to the top of my helmet. I set the signal beep for one mile intervals so I can keep track of my distance, but I can't look at my speed until the review at the end. It helps me keep myself more aware of my "form" and my heart rate/general exertion level, which is where I need to concentrate anyway. One day, I would like to put it back on my wrist though to actually function as a training assistant instead of a scribe. JB
Old August 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #150
JWU42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWU42 View Post
Friday, August 18th

6.02 - 25:50 - 14 Mph Avg - 3:55 (15.3 Mph) / 4:35 (13.1 Mph)

This was in my old rec boots. They do have some newer BSB Swiss bearings that have now been run in about 75 miles. This time of 25:50 beats my old PR by almost 90 seconds - a NOT insignificant amount.

I am going to try again with my old wheels and bearings to see what the time looks like. I assume it will return to the normal 27:20 +/-
Sunday, August 20th

6.02 - 25:45 - 14 Mph Avg - 4:09 (14.45 Mph) / 4:26 (13.55 Mph)

I am using the same wheels as last time - stolen off my wife's K2 Mod 8.5 - but now switched to newly greased (white lithium) Powerslide Abec-7's. The thought was the speed improvement mostly to wheels and bearings but it appears that maybe it is a combo of these wheels, 2+ weeks rest, and improving technique?!?

I was using an old set of Labeda Highways that were probably worn down to 74mm when my times were in the low to mid 27' range. I haven't pushed it yet with my speed boots as those were what I wrecked in and I am still fighting a bit of a mental battle there
JWU42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #151
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

August 20

Publix FFW 10k race - 24:something, 2nd overall female. I got schooled by another teenager from Team Florida. What are they feeding these 14 year old girls? I got dropped by the lead pack in the first half of the race at a turnaround (this seems to be my m.o.), skated by myself for a while, then hooked up with an older guy and another teenage girl. I had a good race, but I really need to get over this getting dropped thing. Anyway, I was really excited about the turnout. I was a little worried this one would be cancelled because only 14 people showed up last year, and they cancelled the series finale at Cypress Gardens. But the field today was mostly speedskaters, so someone must have spread the word. I like to think maybe it was via one of my bulletin boards.

If any of you remember last year, we were all griping about the course at Ft. Desoto. They had us skate most of the race through this crappy gravelly parking lot, then we got handed some attitude when we complained about it. This year, they put the course entirely on the bike path, which was such a huge improvement. The only complaints we had were the turnarounds - they were a little confusing, and we had to come to a complete stop at one point to turn around. This really isn't the FFW team's fault - there just wasn't any other way to do it. I also caught wind that the course was a bit too long. It seems like every one is a different distance. But, who cares. At least they changed the course and were more friendly this year. Cool awards and good food too.

I ran the 5k afterwards and got 1st in my age group with 23:48. I was especially happy about that because that's a decent time considering I just skated and it was hot as hell out (9am). Afterwards, I went & laid out on the beach (Ft. Desoto voted the #1 beach in America!!) and had a staring contest with some gulls and a pelican. They won - I feel asleep and got a lovely tan. Great day.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #152
online inline

Hey Jessica, sakted a 10K race, ran a 5K race, went to the beach... you call that a day? I sure hope you have something stenous planned for the rest of the day!

As long as i opened my big yapper... I skated 26 miles race pace on the course that will be next Sunday's marathon. Went well, though tuckered out. The course is more of an obstacle course than anything else, and i skated the rough section up and back.

Skated 22 miles yesterday with one of my trianing partners, which was coincidentally on the other half of this same course, so now i have the whole thing covered.

Skating is going quite well, and i'm very pleased to have navigated through some major major hurdles in the early season - three injuries, equipment breakdowns, getting dropped by my two training partners on some key tme trials, etc. But all that;'s behind me now, and glad it is.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #153
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Skated the Fort DeSoto race in just over 30 min. I had to leave right after so I haven't yet seen where I placed. I'm happy with the improvement over my first race The Ramble which was 10 miles in 52:01.
I'm a little concerned with the numbers from my heart monitor-max 191 average 184. Not sure if if it's bad to push it up that high or not. Part of it is inefficient technique which in due time I'll take lessons to help. Mostly still paying for smoking 1-1 1/2 packs of cigs for the last 4 out of 5 yrs. Quit cold in the beginning of Feb so I suppose I've made pretty good progress so far. Frustrating still because I used to be in top shape through martial arts and kickboxing. Probably never get to that level again but hopefully I'll can eventually get most of it back. Step by step.
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #154
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Default Fort Desoto

Jessica; BHerrick
Congrats to you both, sorry we weren't able to make it this year, We were kind of looking forward to the comparision to last years times, although there wouldn't be much to compare due to the course changes. We had a great time with my son and his girlfriend non the less. Tomorrow it should be back on skates. JB
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM   #155
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.
Thumbs up

Glad to see Jessica and Jon J. at Ft. DeSoto this morning. Congratulations of your age group 1st in the 10K skate and high finishes in the 5K run. My Central Florida Trail Bladers buddies also took age group 1st. Congratulations Brodie from Orlando and Shawn from Lakeland.

I hope to explore the rest of the Ft. Desoto trail system the next time I'm in the area. The trails are a little rough, but it looks like a very interesting layout. Trails everywhere you look.

Thanks to Publix Food Stores for sponsoring this series of Family Fitness Weekends and all the skaters who turned out. Bryan from Ft. Myers, thanks for posting your participation. I'm sure we passed each other on the trail without knowing it. Of course I have trouble recognizing anyone when all I see is there backs after the start.

Ken

LezSk8 Central Florida!
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:26 AM   #156
NWGlenn

Sun. 08-20 AM: Out to Clear Creek Trail geared up and hit the pavement at 8:30am, 30 2.8mi laps / 84 mi. finished @ 2:52pm. Elapsed time 6hr 22min for overall avg of 13.193mph. Thought about pushing for two more laps just to over the a2a distance but figured "don't get greedy, the Skate Goddess will rap you!"
Really neat thing was holding 12 min laps almost to 42 miles. The Fifteenth lap was 13min. 'Looks like I've hit another sweet spot; now if I can just extend it a few more segments...see stats following. Frosting on the cake was improving last Sunday's 70mi / 5hr 25min with today's 70mi 5hr 9min.

5 lap / 14 mi segment times:

1) 60m / 14mph
2) 60m / 14mph
3) 61m / 13.77mph
4) 62m / 12.548mph
5) 66m / 12.727mph
6) 73m / 11.506

Carrot for the a2a mule 87mi / 13.193mph = 6 hr 35+min. Hey Speedy!! this is beginning to look doable... if the hills & the pavement & the weather don't kill me.

PM: Session skate w/#1 son & his half the clan. Hopefully mvirtue and Madeline.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM   #157
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Saturday: Skated 40 mile solo "time trial" 3 hr 10 min, HR 154.

The new boots are breaking my feet in nicely. Under ezeefits, all the blisters seem to be healing.

That makes a roughtly 4.5 hr NYC 100K - Prospect Park just CAN'T be as hilly as that route. And hopefully, there will be packs.

Will I see anyone there?

Thanks,
Dev Gnoll
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM   #158
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Aug 18 Off.

Aug 19 Off. Team pool party at our place.
Aug 20
Early PM: 20 minute spin on the mtn bike in the driveway.
Evening: Session with Madeline and NWGlenn & crew.
Worked with Madeline on gliding and sculling. In the process Madeline discovered the difference between the inside and outside edge. Worked on getting my relay partner to bend his knees more. I worked on sculling and edge drills. We had a new DJ so the break downs for the races were different. It was 10 and under so Madeline had no challengers The DJ then handicapped the speedskaters and hockey players by having us start on the wall. The hockey player had an amazing start and I worked my way through the other skaters trying to catch him. I ended up riding NWGlenn grandson out in turn 2 so I disqualified myself.

Aug 21
Where: Seahawk stadium parking lot
What: 25 minutes of drills, drills and more drills
Conditions: Clear, 57F, 6MPH, dry

Dang! It's not easy just doing drills! I got my HR up into the 150s and kept wondering when the time would be up. I added slaloming to the repertoire. I can now do about 50m on just my left skate swaping edges to keep forward momentum and about 20m on my right.

Aug 21
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM   #159
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Hey Jessica, sakted a 10K race, ran a 5K race, went to the beach... you call that a day? I sure hope you have something stenous planned for the rest of the day!
You bet - it was an evening full of couch surfing and digestion. Whew, what a workout.

Jon B. - missed ya I'm glad you had a good weekend though.

BHerrick - have I met you yet? If so, sorry for not remembering. If not, why??

Dev - wish I were going, but I just can't afford it. Good luck though.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:12 PM   #160
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Saturday, watched the elimination races at Mears Park in downtown St. Paul. Pretty interesting........ Joey Mantia pulled out a huge lead with a few laps to go, that's really dominating.....

Sunday, did the St. Paul inline marathon. Almost nothing went the way I expected, but still manage to cut almost 5 minutes off last year's time. It's a very fustrating race, but I kept telling myself to go on and "there's no way I can do worse than last year".

The only happy moment of the race, at the 2nd inbound leg, with a few miles to go. I passed an advanced skater (probably got dropped early). Minutes later, we're going downhill, him probably 40 to 50 feet behind. Because I was still dealing with the ankle pain, I actually took a few seconds to coast, giving my ankle some rest. He's was skating downhill furiously, trying regain his position. At the bottom of the hill, with less than 10 feet away, he shouted "on your left" (it's kind of tricky because we're both weaving through the open skaters). I almost replied "no way, you're not going to pass me!". I kicked into high gear (I had enough rest by the time we hit the bottom of the hill), and left him in dust while going up the next incline. A minute later, he's nowhere to be seen.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote