S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 18th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Rey

Default I need a sport mount for derby

Hi, I'm new here. Finally got on the skatelog forum. =)

I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing to sport mount my avenger mag to my bont hybrid boot.

Suggestions, please?

Thank you!!
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Rey

Wanted to add, I haven't actually bought them yet, was going to tonight.

However, if there is store owner here who's also a pro at mounting, I'd like to chat with them. =)

Thanks again.
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

We don't do business out in the open. One of our vendors will likely contact you by PM. Easiest to buy and have mounted by same vendor.
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #4
kimmie

Sent you a PM. Try DVW or Doc
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Rey

Yes, I would love to buy from the person who will be doing the mounting.

I need recommendations on those who have experience and knows what they're doing.
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

This way comes

What's your idea of a sports mount?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Rey

I've never tried a sport mount, but I imagine they put the axles where your pressure points are or closest to.

I sure hope I like it.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Rey

I'm so glad to be here, I can talk to those who actually like to talk about gear. =)

There is hardly anyone in my league who skates on a short plate, and when I asked about it on our group, I was pretty much told that it doesn't work for derby.

Now having stalked this forum and other websites, I know that is not true...

Also, back to the Bont boot:

Leather or Carbon?
Thin leather or thick leather?

I wish I could just walk into a store and try them on,

Right now I skate on a rebels and my feet ache super bad in them.

I am hoping the bont can help. The rebels are really holding me back and can't wait til I can chuck 'em.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Both sport and short mounts are shorter than a normal plate. As a skater gets better, a long plates's slower reaction becomes a burden. A shorter plate reacts more quickly. This is generally welcome as a skater gets better. The contrast is best seen when one skates a shorter plate and realizes that their longer plate seems sluggish in comparison.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Wicked View Post
I'm so glad to be here, I can talk to those who actually like to talk about gear. =)

There is hardly anyone in my league who skates on a short plate, and when I asked about it on our group, I was pretty much told that it doesn't work for derby.

Also, back to the Bont boot:

Leather or Carbon?
QRL in my opinion. The carbon is a race boot for race day. A little less comfortable. The fiberglass construction of the QRL is fine and more liveable day in and day out.

Thin leather or thick leather?
Leather is fine. Thick is a bit less comfortable.

I wish I could just walk into a store and try them on,

Right now I skate on a rebels and my feet ache super bad in them.

I am hoping the bont can help. The rebels are really holding me back and can't wait til I can chuck 'em.
The Bont QRL offers unmatched control and connection between skater and skate.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Rey

With the mount I have now, I feel like I'm being held back and can't turn as quick as I'd like.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Rey

What is the difference between the Racer leather and the hybrid leather?

Just the thickness of the leather, correct? and that extra stitching on the side of the racer, right?
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #13
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
With the mount I have now, I feel like I'm being held back and can't turn as quick as I'd like.
The DA45 provides much more, and easier turning. Once accustomed to it, just a flick of the ankle will provide better turning than your best effort on a 10 degree plate. When tuned with softer cushions, it turns DRAMATICALLY better than a normal 10 degree plate.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
What is the difference between the Racer leather and the hybrid leather?

Just the thickness of the leather, correct? and that extra stitching on the side of the racer, right?
The thickness yes. I don't know of any extra stitching. The thin Kangaroo leather has proven to be very durable. Some think it is too thin, compared to some cow leather boots, but the roo leather has done very well, and is more comfortable in the normal, thin, configuration. I think Bont did a good job picking the standard thickness. When people thought that it was too thin, Bont responded with a thicker version, but it does not seem it was really necessary.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Rey

See that thread in the middle of the racer, I don't think the hybrid has it.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Oh, you meant the QRL has an extra stitch. Yeah, looking at mine now, a 2011 version, and it has that middle stitch. Guess the Hybrid does not need it.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Armadillo

Quote:

...Right now I skate on a rebels and my feet ache super bad in them.

I suspect you have never had the suspension of your current skates fully
optimized to give you their maximum turning performance potential.
The factory setups typically suck, but that does not mean that it can't be upgraded to dramatically improve their level of performance.

Seems like everyone is in such a hurry to dump their initial skates without ever giving them any decent amount of suspension tuning effort.
I did the same thing with my first plates Chicago Panthers, which barely turned, so badly that I never even could learn how to properly balance and control my turning efforts. These were also too short for me by 1/2" or so, but that did not help.

They ended up with a friend, who wanted to try them and had skated every plate under the sun, including Royals and Roll Line Rings.
He put a lot of effort into super optimizing their suspension setup (which I never did) and he now claims they perform better than any other skates he has ever put on his feet, bar none.

He has stuck with these Panthers now for around 2 years now. He used to change plates every 2-3 months looking for something better, but that process has ended with the Panther plates.

Meanwhile, I went on to rolling longer more forward mounted plates in the 5-15 KP range, while also proceeding to learn what it takes to seriously tune any plates for reaching their max. turning performance, regardless of their action steepness or KP angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
The DA45 provides much more, and easier turning. Once accustomed to it, just a flick of the ankle will provide better turning than your best effort on a 10 degree plate. When tuned with softer cushions, it turns DRAMATICALLY better than a normal 10 degree plate.
This statement, to a large extent, is an inaccurate exaggeration of the true comparison between plates with shallower action & steeper kingpins (0-15) relative to plates with steeper action shallower kingpins (20-33+), like DA45s and other 30 KP plates.

The best analogy I can give you is that of adjusting the burner of a gas stove. On some stoves, the flame goes from a very low level to a very high level when you rotate the valve knob through only a small angle of its full twist range (think less plate lean DA45), but on other gas stoves, you must rotate the knob through a bigger portion of its turning range to control the flame level (think more plate lean DA10).

Each can have their advantages. If you only want to quickly reach a high flame level point just below full flame (think sharp turn), the first stove can reach that a bit quicker. However, it is also more prone to overshooting or undershooting the exact flame level you really want, because the knob rotation must be more precise in the narrower adjustment range (think less plate lean gives more turn).

The 2nd stove gives you more precise control of the flame level (sharpness of skate turning), but it demands a bit more knob turning time (think further plate leaning) to reach the desired flame level, but with less likelihood of over or undershooting the desired level.

So, getting off stoves and back to plates, for people capable of controlling their ankles over a little more plate lean range than the "just a flick of the ankle" amount, many DA5-DA15 plates can be suspension tuned to give similar sharpness of turning to DA45 plates, especially those that have more deck height for better wheel clearance, like Sure Grip Novas. It only requires a bit more plate lean to reach that similar level of turning sharpness.

On the plus side for the DA5-15 plates is the fact that their suspension geometry affords them greater stability at speed and they are less prone to over steering effects.

Based on the PIC below, how much more sharply do you really think a plate needs to be able to turn? It is a "normal" 7 kingpin Nova plate with a suspension that, rather simply, has been fully optimized for maximum turning response. It has all four wheels down in good grip contact with the floor too, despite this sharp turning radius. It has no loosey-goosey wobble at the neutral position either - full snap back to neutral from any truck displacement amount.

-Armadillo
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #18
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Exclamation

Wicked, it occurs to me that we jumped into this and that so quickly, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome .

Now that your thread has been graced by the resident nut-case, it is worth mentioning to not be alarmed if he gets jumped on by various other posters. He has a long history of being disruptive, lying, and recommending worthless and sometimes dangerous skate modifications.

If someone were to jump down his throat merely for his post here, you would likely deem it excessive. Understand that there is a LONG ANNOYING history behind it. The more responsible, credible majority here are so tired of his cr*p.

If you stay active after getting your new setup sorted out, you will get what I mean. But don't be alarmed if things heat up seemingly for no reason. There is reason. You just won't see it right away.
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Wicked, it occurs to me that we jumped into this and that so quickly, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome .

Now that your thread has been graced by the resident nut-case, it is worth mentioning to not be alarmed if he gets jumped on by various other posters. He has a long history of being disruptive, lying, and recommending worthless and sometimes dangerous skate modifications.

If someone were to jump down his throat merely for his post here, you would likely deem it excessive. Understand that there is a LONG ANNOYING history behind it. The more responsible, credible majority here are so tired of his cr*p.

If you stay active after getting your new setup sorted out, you will get what I mean. But don't be alarmed if things heat up seemingly for no reason. There is reason. You just won't see it right away.
Straight from the mouth of Mr. Character Assassinator himself, who is
so full of opinions, but with very few facts or PICs to back them up.
When what he posts is proven wrong, and he has no response - he just attacks the messenger.
The PIC above speaks louder than all the hot air he will ever blow.

-Armadillo
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

You are too late with your evil plans. Wicked has been whisked away to a realm where you cannot touch her. The realm of the DocSk8 Forum.

Bwahaha hahaaa

( Well, you know. When dealing with a nutcase, I may as well get in character. Plus my maniacal laugh is FUN. )