S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
hdmx539

Cool Beginner equipment *can* hold you back.

As I lamented in this thread, wondering if it was me or my skates, I have determined it wasn't me, but it was, and it wasn't my skates, but it was.

Let me explain. The R3s are, clearly, fine for some folks. There are plenty of girls in my fresh meat group that are doing fine on their R3s, even *stock* R3s with the same wheels that came with the R3s. And so I thought it was me. I was in a bad place with derby when I posted last week, I was about to quit. In that same thread I posted an update that I am using another pair of skates I happen to have as an interim pair of skates while I went for my Bonts I've got on order. The G80s support me better, being a heavier skater, and so I realized that what was holding me back *was* the R3s I was using.

Last night finally, FINALLY, I got 27 in 5. (Well, 27.5, hehe) I also scrimmaged, and not ONCE did I fall on my rear end. I did fall forward once, but it was a "normal" derby fall, it was different. I was able to take pushing, shoving, and I kept up with the pack when we all skated 40 in 10 minutes as one large pack. When someone tried to swing me out off the track, I put my foot out to the side and was actually able to get purchase to hold myself AND PUSH BACK. The R3s, comparatively speaking, feel like I'm pushing my foot into wet mud.

The big thing for me was breaking that 27 in 5 barrier I simply could not do before. I'm encouraged now. I can learn to play derby, my head is in the game rather than worrying about my equipment. I can't wait for my new skate build!
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Glad your alternate setup is working well for you.

I always push for better equipment. Sometimes, upgrading equipment can really help. But, that is not always the case. Every once and a while a bone stock, untuned pos R3 shows up in top level D1 play. Equipment isn't always everything.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Glad your alternate setup is working well for you.

I always push for better equipment. Sometimes, upgrading equipment can really help. But, that is not always the case. Every once and a while a bone stock, untuned pos R3 shows up in top level D1 play. Equipment isn't always everything.
Yup. Totally agree. There are plenty of ladies in my league who are doing quite well on R3s. Which is why I wondered why I couldn't get better.
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Fancy-Kerrigan

I'm happy for you. Keep us posted......I just love happy endings (or beginnings)
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Urbanpixie

Several years ago, I got so much better, noticeable so that many people commented to me "You got so much better!" when I switched out my stock R3 wheels for Sugars (we were playing on super slippery polished concrete and I'm super light and just slid everywhere), and my laps went up from from 23/5 to 28/5.
Urbanpixie is offline   Reply With Quote