S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
azzkabam

Default wheel suggestions?

I'm looking into getting new wheels, but have no idea what to get. I hate the ones I have now. I have the ones that came with my skates, Riedell dart. What would you guys suggest for wheels? Thanks.
azzkabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Spend a few dollars and get something like some Sure Grip zombies.
Whatever came with your skates are probably plastic, Hot Lips is the only known human who thinks these are useful!
The combination of your wheels and whatever rock hard cushions are on your plates probably has a lot to do with your speed problems when you "sticky" skate.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
azzkabam

Yeah, I'm starting to think my skates are a bit of a problem. I need to learn more about skates and all of the components. I havnt changed anything on my skates yet. But I always feel like I'm sliding around.

But some of the other girls suggested Jukes and poisons, I believe.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Jukes are okay if they are round, not sure how Atom are doing with the whole round wheel concept at the moment? Been out of the loop.
Sure grip wheels are just generally better quality.
Your skates aren't helping but you can do stuff to make them useable until you know what you want out of a pair of skates, but new wheels and cushions are a must.
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
azzkabam

Ok. But what do the cushions do and what ones would you recommend? I really appreciate your advice, thanks
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #6
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkabam View Post
Ok. But what do the cushions do and what ones would you recommend? I really appreciate your advice, thanks
Here are two links for you to read. One shows the anatomy of your skates, the other discusses bushings in relation to skating and what they do for you.

Anatomy of a skate from Sin City

Bushings help with making a tighter and sharper turn on skates. Sometimes folks go with a "general rule of thumb" that heavier skaters are on harder bushings, while lighter skaters are on softer bushings. As a heavy skater myself, on beginner skates (Riedell R3), let me tell you that once I switched out the stock "medium/hard" bushings that came with my skates for the softest, red powerdyne bushings, trying to accomplish some skills was increasingly difficult and it appeared that I just didn't "get it" until I switched out the cushions.

Once I changed them out I had a far FAR smoother ride, it was instantly noticeable. Also, snake drills, cuts, cross overs, and even turning on my skates by leaning became so much easier.

I can't find what hardness your bushings are, but if you haven't changed them out and purchased them new, you most likely have medium to hard bushings. A good bushing and truck adjustment will really help with your skills. As you progress, you'll find many skills easier to accomplish by loosening your trucks and getting softer cushions. I've noticed that beginner skates like R3s, and darts, and others in the same class usually have nylon plates and hard cushions, built for stability for the beginner skater.

Derby Life's "Ask an Expert" discussion on cushions.

Last edited by hdmx539; October 18th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
azzkabam

I really liked that article. Thanks!
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
azzkabam

But back on wheels. I'm thinking of either getting the poisons or sure grip fugitives 87. I can't decide between those two.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Data Data, Tell us your Floor, your Skating

Hi,

Most skaters in Derby are different. They try to clone each other often yet it does not always work.

Why do you dislike those that came with the Darts (What were they)?
^- The response is actually helpful since it gets at how you are skating.

What is your main practice floor. Type, Dirt, Hardness
What are your main playing floors: They can be different.

Your Skating ability: try to describe it.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
^ I would probably choose a hard narrow wheel that is great for some and sin/dangerous for others. Yet this is about you.
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

G'day Dave.
Those are all very important questions which need to be answered otherwise it's all just a blind guess!
Quote:
But back on wheels. I'm thinking of either getting the poisons or sure grip fugitives 87. I can't decide between those two.
Fugitive mids would be a good option, I would go for a harder duro though unless you are on a really slippery floor or you are super light weight.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
azzkabam

Um let's see. To answer those questions. The wheels that came with my skates, it says are the riedell dart and they are a 93 hardness. We practice at a roller rink. Our home games are at a school gym. I don't really like the wheels I have now because I feel like their to slippery. I'm not sure if that's from the wheels or something else. As of my skating ability, I'm a beginner. I'm probably almost 1.5 months in. The other new girl that started around the sane time as me also had similar wheels that came with her skates. And she didn't like them either. She just got the radar villain which are a 84 hardness and says she can notice a huge difference and loves them. She's also bigger than me if that makes a difference.
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 93 isn't bad yet kind of top

Hi azzkabam,

Thanks Great info, Even if I don't completely reply lots of Derby people know what might help you. And can give you brand names like Atom, Radar, or Whatever.

<We practice at a roller rink o-o I don't really like the wheels I have now because I feel like their to slippery. I'm not sure if that's from the wheels or something else.>

You will have to make sure you clean your wheels to keep them from slipping and keep their performance, yet, YES most Derby Gals I know at the beginning run on softer wheels than 93. Some have a hard time going on up from the 80s once they learned to derby on an 84 or 86. I actually could not find the Dart wheels yet am surprised they are so hard since I think this is sold as a Flat Track Derby Skate.

<The other new girl that started around the sane time as me also had similar wheels that came with her skates. And she didn't like them either. She just got the radar villain which are a 84 hardness and says she can notice a huge difference and loves them. She's also bigger than me if that makes a difference.>

You might want to look for 86 or a bit higher because you are lighter. You should get about the same results as her yet you will get used to the faster wheel and will move better like with laterals.

Now when getting better you might want to go to a faster(harder) wheel and even a narrower wheel like a 93 or a Turbo. By then you can manage contact and won't mind the slip. Yet some gals just don't like those harder wheels and still skate pretty fast on what I would consider a slow wheel. After all Derby is not like long term race or rythmn skating which requires harder wheels, so you can skate and skate and skate, so do what works.

Hope more SLF members enter, to give you brand names and durometers.

Edit-01: Now my assumption is that you have a good well maintained Roller Rink floor. One coated each year or so and one kept clean. I have two of these good floors I skate on. Yet We do have Derby people that skate on dusty floors, and they have to maintain their own mops. I only listed two Wheel Manufacturers , yet over the years we have heard about piles more. I should give you a link to Elemental out of Ohio, in case you get to change set ups and want to go to harder wheels.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 19th, 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Small Adds
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:42 AM   #13
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Those Dart wheels are cheap plastic, so although they are a 93, they probably grip a lot less than a good quality 93s wheel. I would stay away from Poisons unless the surface you skate on is just absolutely like ice. Otherwise they will just slow you down. Something like the Backspin Mayhem 93a will grip like a Poison but actually roll well.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Zombie wheels are garbage. They have to be the most overly hyped wheel aside from that shark wheel that no one has apparently tried/bought on this forum.

It not the urethane, or the hub, its the mold they used and its poor alignment. I recently cut down the trucks on my buddys skates, and he has zombies. Well when I was putting the wheel back on and tightening nuts down to check for wheel drag if I got them too tight when I noticed the problem. As I got them all on and set..... EVERY DAMN WHEEL was out of balance. I thought I was crazy, but the problem is obvious when spinning the wheels.

My buddy Scottie had said that our friend had bent one of the hubs hitting a wall one day, as he had rolled that set of wheels I figured he was right. Well when I spun them not 1 hub had wobble or moved. In fact I couldn't tell they were spinning by looking at the hub itself. It was obvious the urethane around the hub varies in thickness because of improper alignment when poured, when I looked at the edge of the urethane it moved around in height.

I don't know if they have fixed this issue, but i wouldn't buy them. I have seen better wheel balance in every other skate wheel with the exception of a rental!

Id even buy power plus wheels first, and their hubs separate.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
I'm looking into getting new wheels, but have no idea what to get. I hate the ones I have now. I have the ones that came with my skates, Riedell dart. What would you guys suggest for wheels? Thanks.
What part of the country do you live in?
What is the elevation where you skate?
What kind of floor do you skate on?
Inside skate wheels or outside skate wheels?
How much do you weigh?
What kind of skating do you like to do (i.e. JB, shuffle, jam, derby, speed, agressive, etc.)?
What size is your skate boot?
How tall are you?
Do you want better grip more than better roll or better roll more than better grip?
What is the duometer of the wheels that you are using now?
Do you lean hard when cornering (45 degree lean? 180 degree lean )?
Does your skate have a standard mount?
Short mount?
Short forward mount?

Please answer these questions for better determination of wheels that will enhance your skating experience.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:38 AM   #16
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi,

Most skaters in Derby are different. They try to clone each other often yet it does not always work.

Why do you dislike those that came with the Darts (What were they)?
^- The response is actually helpful since it gets at how you are skating.

What is your main practice floor. Type, Dirt, Hardness
What are your main playing floors: They can be different.

Your Skating ability: try to describe it.

^ I would probably choose a hard narrow wheel that is great for some and sin/dangerous for others. Yet this is about you.
I am not disparaging any derby skater-- but most of the fresh meat I have met are not “skaters” before they join derby. So they have not come from a world where they are very knowledgeable on gear. It isn’t absolutely necessary to be a good derby skater. So derby girls get advice from the team, which has gotten advice from one or two players who have been skating most of their lives or players who have been doing derby a long time.

But a good derby girl can skate on most wheels.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:04 AM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
In fact I couldn't tell they were spinning by looking at the hub itself. It was obvious the urethane around the hub varies in thickness because of improper alignment when poured, when I looked at the edge of the urethane it moved around in height.
As much as we'd all like otherwise, that happens sometimes. Matter/Answer/Atom has been plagued by that for years. It took me four tries to get a set of Fusions that didn't wobble.

He should talk directly to Sure Grip about it. I'm sure they'd want to know.

Quote:
Id even buy power plus wheels first, and their hubs separate.
Same hub (minus machine work), same factory, slightly different urethane. The hubs don't "separate", but sometimes the tire creeps a little. Most wheels with that type of metal hub do it, you just can't see it because there aren't any slots.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:45 AM   #18
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
As much as we'd all like otherwise, that happens sometimes. Matter/Answer/Atom has been plagued by that for years. It took me four tries to get a set of Fusions that didn't wobble.

He should talk directly to Sure Grip about it. I'm sure they'd want to know.

Same hub (minus machine work), same factory, slightly different urethane. The hubs don't "separate", but sometimes the tire creeps a little. Most wheels with that type of metal hub do it, you just can't see it because there aren't any slots.
Impossible for it either to have not broken in 1/2, or not be a 2 piece hub.

Now stop for a minute and think bout that. If its a 1 piece hub, the ONLY way the spokes can separate is if the metal completely cracked in 1/2. Or the 2 piece hubs urethane came loose from either side. Which has allowed one of the 2 1/2's to rotate.

2 of his hubs are now doing it.

If it was just the urethane moving you would never know unless you put a tic mark line on the hub/urethane and saw it not line up.

I hope when I finally get some RBT's that they don't have this issue.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:32 AM   #19
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Impossible for it either to have not broken in 1/2, or not be a 2 piece hub.

Now stop for a minute and think bout that. If its a 1 piece hub, the ONLY way the spokes can separate is if the metal completely cracked in 1/2. Or the 2 piece hubs urethane came loose from either side. Which has allowed one of the 2 1/2's to rotate.

2 of his hubs are now doing it.

If it was just the urethane moving you would never know unless you put a tic mark line on the hub/urethane and saw it not line up.

I hope when I finally get some RBT's that they don't have this issue.
I think there`s some confusion here. By separating that is usually meant that the tire is separating from the hub which is what I think DVW thought you meant. I think you were/are trying to say that the hubs are actually "cracking" in the slotted area near the rear of the wheel. I have never seen that happen but thats not to say it isn`t possible but wow ...
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:48 AM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Pictures

Correct hub:

Scottie's busted hubs: