S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #21
DarrenVS

Went to fresh meat training today, just so I could meet some of the non first team.
The coach had us getting ready to do laps as a warm up to doing the min skills 27 in 5 minutes. I know refs only have to do 10 in 1.35, but I wanted to train as hard as the girls.
Well, I managed to do 29 laps. Although I had to skate backwards for about 5 laps as I was getting a cramp in my left foot. Got some surprised looks from some of the girls that didn't know me. But there's nothing that I'm aware in the rules that says you have to skate forwards all the time
King Pawn
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #22
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
But there's nothing that I'm aware in the rules that says you have to skate forwards all the time
Good going, King Pawn! I love the technicality, and you STILL did better than 27 in 5.
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
Went to fresh meat training today, just so I could meet some of the non first team.
The coach had us getting ready to do laps as a warm up to doing the min skills 27 in 5 minutes. I know refs only have to do 10 in 1.35, but I wanted to train as hard as the girls.
King Pawn
The 10 in 1.35 isn't a "Have to" ..

Its part of the Referee Certification (The best of the best supposedly) test.

Good on you for skating with the other skaters, and I have a feeling if you can pull off 29 laps in 5 minutes including some of them backwards you'll have no problems with the other drills (falls, turns, stops)

It also helps to build a level of trust between you and the skaters when you practice with them, just don't get overly familiar and fall into the trap of "our ref".
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #24
DarrenVS

Thanks Darkjester
That's good advice
King Pawn
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #25
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
You have to keep finding opportunities to ref. Ref every scrimmage you can and read the WFTDA rules, then have conversations with the other judges when you think they might apply and see how everyone interprets slightly differently. Like skating--- you only get good with practice, study and effort.

But if I can do it--- anyone can.
I am driving up to three hours to find games I can ref and develop my skill level. Next weekend’s game will be 1.5 hours away and a toll road at that.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM   #26
DarrenVS

Did another 3 hours with the fresh meat yesterday. I'm just a little sore toady
Been skating forever and have never been able to jump on skates. Not any more. Started jumping a pool noodle, fell a couple of times, but nothing serious. A bit of a shock for the girls seeing my 180lbs hit the deck.
The items got higher, next was a kit bag about 10inches high. Managed to clear that. Then got picked out buy the coach and lined up with 5 of the more experienced fresh meat. Well one of the first team lay down on the floor Nd over we jumped. OMG , 46 years old and jumping over real folks
My reward, my name and number are official in our league
King Pawn 950
The name is a mash up of my jewellery store name 2 Kings jewellery and pawn. And the fineness for platinum, as it's the highest fineness n jewellery
I've also got muscles I forgot I had
Skate hard and turn left
King Pawn