S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #41
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

Comparing Bones Turbos to any other wheel by durometer is a waste of time. The compound is different and the thin tire makes it roll better than the numbers indicate. I guarantee my 92s out roll most brands of 97 wheels, and grip as good as some 88-90s I have rolled.
This has been my experience as well. Love my 92 RBTs <3
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #42
EvaLittleThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
What size axles do you have and what type of skating must they handle?

-Armadillo
8mm, roller derby? Unsure how to describe skating other than that.
EvaLittleThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #43
EvaLittleThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
If 8mm axles buy these.

http://www.rocketsskateboardbearings...nsbearings.htm

Rockets stage II

They come with spacers but they wont fit correctly in our wheels. The quality of these bearings for their price is outstanding. Bones swiss cost more and are not as good as his product. Anyone who has used his bearings knows they are top notch. You can check on longboarding sites as skateboarders are what they are marketed towards as ron is a boarder himself.
What makes these bearings better than bones swiss?
EvaLittleThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #44
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaLittleThing View Post
Never skated them myself but I do hear they are top notch. This guy was/is a bearing engineer for NASA, who happens to love going fast. I've heard he's maxed them out for the low rpm high stress application of skating. How that is any different from Bones I dunno, I tend to trust small startups in a field they love more than big companies in a competitive market.
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #45
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Cheaper too, don't forget that.

I've skated and spun both in my hands and they spin longer than bones swiss. They also do this with 2 rubber shields where bones has only one.

They are assembled in a clean room, the raceway finish is much smoother, and their tolerances are better. Possibly even the steel used is better as well. I cannot comment on that though as I have not done destructive testing on them to make a fair comparison. The outside of the bearings had a MIRROR finish on them. Probably the best I had ever seen on ANY metal.

The only way I know to describe the quality you get for the price is "ridiculous".

I will not buy any other bearings but his anymore, he also has an unbeatable guarantee nd will replace defective bearings without hassle.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #46
hdmx539

Quote:
If 8mm axles buy these.

http://www.rocketsskateboardbearings...nsbearings.htm

Rockets stage II

They come with spacers but they wont fit correctly in our wheels. The quality of these bearings for their price is outstanding. Bones swiss cost more and are not as good as his product. Anyone who has used his bearings knows they are top notch. You can check on longboarding sites as skateboarders are what they are marketed towards as ron is a boarder himself.

I'm willing to try a set of these bearings, but I have a question with your statement that I bolded above.

What do you mean by that? The spacers won't fit in our wheels? Or the bearings won't fit in our wheels? If it's bearings, how then do we use them?

I have a new build on order. The plate will be the Sure Grip mag avenger. I know it's an 8mm axle. For now, I'll most likely be sticking my sure grip zombie mids on the plates. Would these bearings fit? How do I get them to fit with this plate and wheels? I'm slightly confused here.

HDMx539
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #47
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmx539 View Post
I'm willing to try a set of these bearings, but I have a question with your statement that I bolded above.

What do you mean by that? The spacers won't fit in our wheels? Or the bearings won't fit in our wheels? If it's bearings, how then do we use them?

I have a new build on order. The plate will be the Sure Grip mag avenger. I know it's an 8mm axle. For now, I'll most likely be sticking my sure grip zombie mids on the plates. Would these bearings fit? How do I get them to fit with this plate and wheels? I'm slightly confused here.

HDMx539
The spacers are wider than the bearing seat( the width between installed bearings) rollerskate wheels are usually .300 thousandths, where skateboard wheels are .400 thousandths wide.

The bearings are the same as bones 8mm or any other bearing that is for skateboards/rollerblades/quads. 22mm od 8mm id and 7mm wide.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #48
hdmx539

Quote:
The spacers are wider than the bearing seat( the width between installed bearings) rollerskate wheels are usually .300 thousandths, where skateboard wheels are .400 thousandths wide.

The bearings are the same as bones 8mm or any other bearing that is for skateboards/rollerblades/quads. 22mm od 8mm id and 7mm wide.
Gotcha. I take it we can simply use those bearings without spacers?

Which brings me to a question. Should we have spacers between the bearings in our wheels? What purpose do they serve? I don't have any in my wheels right now, but if it is an absolutely necessity, I can go pick some up.

Thanks!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #49
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default not necessary....

Quote:

Which brings me to a question. Should we have spacers between the bearings in our wheels? What purpose do they serve? I don't have any in my wheels right now, but if it is an absolutely necessity, I can go pick some up.

Thanks!
.... more hassle then they are worth for most people (Morts story is a bit different) If the wheel has an aluminum or hard plastic/nylon hub they are not necessary, they are only truly needed in wheels that are all urethane, and have no "hubs" to speak of.

Spacers unless made for specific wheels tend not to fit right an often require maching of the spacer, truck shoulder, and wheel nut to get them to work optimally
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #50
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
.... more hassle then they are worth for most people (Morts story is a bit different) If the wheel has an aluminum or hard plastic/nylon hub they are not necessary, they are only truly needed in wheels that are all urethane, and have no "hubs" to speak of.

Spacers unless made for specific wheels tend not to fit right an often require maching of the spacer, truck shoulder, and wheel nut to get them to work optimally
Okay cool, thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #51
Daveho

personally im happy with reds as far as bearings are concerned as they are a good uniform product thats cheap and out performs many bearings that are more expensive in my experiance
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #52
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:

Thanks!
Pj is right tho, I have gone through some processes to make my bearings and wheels habe much better roll and alignment.

When correctly used....

They allow you to completely crank down the nut, completely securing the wheel in place.
This decreases the amount of slop in a skate.
Spacers allow the lateral load to be transferred to both bearings, instead of just the one being pushed/pulled during a stride by the nut/flip cam or the truck.
They strengthen the axle, which can lead to increased grip.

Trucks should be machined perpendicular to the axle, just as a nut or flip axle should also hold the inner race just as the 90 angle of the truck would. What this really does is decrease drag by evenly distributing loads on the inner races. However it doesn't ALWAYS decrease drag. For instance, if you are coasting straight, there is no real advantage to be had. Its side loading where you see the gains. Which is every time you stride, and any corner you take or turn you make.

How much play does your average bearing have? Not a whole lot. Certainly not 15-20 thousandths. Of play, which I have seen trucks that bad before. Machining the axles/trucks to a completely perfect 90 can have varying results. It just depends on how bad the mold was that made your trucks. Da45's are pretty good since the molds are newer. When I did my daughters trucks they were all pretty nice, but still had some variance. I did not measure them before/after.
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #53
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Nothing. Hard to beat Bones. Hard to beat Qube 8-Balls too.

Quote:
I've skated and spun both in my hands and they spin longer than bones swiss.
Great for winning snack bar bets, but not much good for judging how well a skate bearing will roll under load.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #54
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Nothing. Hard to beat Bones. Hard to beat Qube 8-Balls too.

Great for winning snack bar bets, but not much good for judging how well a skate bearing will roll under load.
Raceway finishes and higher quality steels than bones reds. Bones swiss while they use better quality steel, the finishes aren't above the norm. Call them and ask them what micron finish they use.
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #55
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Raceway finishes and higher quality steels than bones reds. Bones swiss while they use better quality steel, the finishes aren't above the norm. Call them and ask them what micron finish they use.
Mort, you sound like a smart guy. Skate 'em, skate both of 'em for months each. See which ones you like and stick with those.

How 'bout that?
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #56
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ya know man, I've had a lot of bearings over the years of rollerskates skateboards and inlines. I've skated loads of them. These by far showed the quality others wish they had. Many bearings will grind and click/pop right out of the box. -even bones swiss. His don't.

Ive skated legit abec3's made by SKF in italy, garbage ones labeled abec 7. I never had a favorite bearing because I believe them to be a virtually meaningless upgrade. I will say that some of the best rolling ones ive had are those SKF's a set of black panther abec 3's LONG ago in my skateboard,(20 years ago, so I dont know if they are the same quality these days.) i believe they made a large difference because they were made from quality materials and actually made in the usa/italy. Where people take more pride in their crafts.

Though I do have a favorite now, Ron's bearings are just something that needs to be held and skated to understand their quality. They are also cheaper than other bearings, like bones swiss. Btw bones tried to copy the seal design Ron's uses in his bearings. Thats here their "labrynth" seal bs came from.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #57
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Oh, so you are promoting bearings?
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #58
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Oh, so you are promoting bearings?
Lol

Kinda. They have the build for a great skate bearing. They were designed by an individual with experience in manufacturing bearings, and skating. Not saying other bearings don't have adequate designs, but quality materials hold many products back, not just bearings. Hell trying to find USA made bearings anymore is becoming a challenge.

Simply put, his bearings have a better appearance than any other bearing I've seen to date. When I glued them in the poison hubs I actually had to sand the outer diameter of the bearings, otherwise I doubt that they would have held against that polished surface.

I'm probably going to look into ceramics next time.
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #59
Daveho

well guys i took the plunge and got a set of 92a small zombies, so far its been a little slippery (new wheels n all) but towards the end of the session i could defiantly start feeling them grip a bit more. all i can say is wow! soooo much better
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #60
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
well guys i took the plunge and got a set of 92a small zombies, so far its been a little slippery (new wheels n all) but towards the end of the session i could defiantly start feeling them grip a bit more. all i can say is wow! soooo much better
Awesome!