S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Sweet N. Lowdown

Default Recurring Open Sore?

Hey all,

I've been skating on a new setup since February (595s with Reactors - personally, I love them). The only thing I DON'T love is that I've had a sore on the arch of my right foot for the last 5 months that shows no sign of going away. I won't even call it a blister because it never bothers to bubble up. After practice when I take off my skates, the skin chafes so badly that there's an open (sometimes bloody) sore, a little smaller than a dime. It scabs, I keep a blister bandaid on it until it heals, wait for the scab to fall off, try to skate again without a bandaid hoping that it's finally calloused enough not to need further protection, and then the wound opens and forms again. Time trials and speed laps seem to be the worst offenders.

I've tried rubbing my skates out but aside from obvious break-in issues, is there anything I can do to encourage a callous to form? I don't think I've ever had blister issues for this long in 8 years of skating and playing basketball and running track back in the day. Help!
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Salamanda

Does it look infected at all?
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Spuds McKenzie

I had that problem with my Bonts because of where the strap loop is sewn into the boot. I loosened my trucks and my feet quit sliding around in the boot and the chafing stopped. I have been slowly tightening them back up and the spot has reappeared, but I'm getting better speed and control overall. I can't find the sweet spot.
Spuds McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:57 AM   #4
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Try Eezeefit booties.

I throw baby power in my speed boots before I put them on. No socks in speed boots...the combination of baby powder and Eezeefit seems to work for my feet.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:18 AM   #5
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

You have a PM.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Sweet N. Lowdown

No, not infected! I always let it heal up each time it reopens before I put my skates on sans bandaid. (FanJet, I wrote you back .)

I'm afraid to adjust anything because I really like how everything else feels... It's just that dang counter!
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Sk8n Bayou

I've had that issue with my bonts. The only thing that has helped is wearing a bunga pad malleor sleeve. Took some getting used to, but it works for me. http://bungapads.com/essential-skate...-kit-skit.html
Sk8n Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
starla1133

Default Socks?

Do you wear socks when you skate? I got the same sore in the same place when I wore my 595's on an Avenger barefoot so now I wear smartwool socks and dont have a problem
starla1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds McKenzie View Post
I had that problem with my Bonts because of where the strap loop is sewn into the boot. I loosened my trucks and my feet quit sliding around in the boot and the chafing stopped. I have been slowly tightening them back up and the spot has reappeared, but I'm getting better speed and control overall. I can't find the sweet spot.
IMO, this is the best info in the thread so far.

What is the suspension of the Reactor plate set up like?
How soft are cushions and how freely do plates turn?
How much do you skate up on the inside edges of the right skate?
Do you skate narrow or wide wheels?
Can you lean the right Reactor in enough to hit the wheel bite point, without the outside wheel pair coming up off the floor?

How stiff are the 595 boots in the arch zone?
Do they have counters located there to offer stiffening support?

Do you have a low arch foot?

Based on your avatar PIC, your skating position is very low, which means more ankle bending on push stroke extensions. If your right boot arch is too well stiffened and the stiffness of your suspension setup is not allowing the plate to easily lean through the full range of potential truck swing, then your right boot arch zone will stay too vertical while your right foot's arch is needing to get more horizontal.

This can cause your right foot arch be constantly sliding down the too steep hill of the right boot's arch counter with every stroke.

Fully tuning your Reactor suspension for maximum freedom of action is IMO the best initial corrective action to take to resolve this issue, and I don't mean loosening the action to the point of having a wobbly truck.

The action adjustment should always be giving some level of cushion squeeze at every position throughout the full range of the truck swing, even at the dead neutral position. If maintaining some minimum near neutral cushion squeeze causes the truck swing to become too restricted at the wider ends of the swing range, then softer cushions are necessary to improve the suspension setup.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 8th, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #10
cass38a

Get a small hammer and mock up some type of anvil and tenderise the crap out of that counter
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #11
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default now this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Get a small hammer and mock up some type of anvil and tenderise the crap out of that counter
That there is the best advice.
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Podiatry Foam/Moleskin Pads

Hi

Well it seems like you have the same thing that I have had to deal with years ago. Mine was due to orthotics set in the boot.

So put on a small piece of pad or foam and tape it on the arch at the proper place. You will have to play with the right size and position. This will stop the rubbing action which is re-creating the wound and a nice respectable callus will form under the pad. I have written about this for a long time.

Other solutions might also work, yet that worked for me.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

I built these skates for her, they are a new set of 595's..... the counter is very stiff. I noticed this while building them. I sent her a PM offering to help break in the counter since she is very happy with the setup. She has my contact info.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #14
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Thumbs up Leukotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet N. Lowdown View Post
Hey all,

I've been skating on a new setup since February (595s with Reactors - personally, I love them). The only thing I DON'T love is that I've had a sore on the arch of my right foot for the last 5 months that shows no sign of going away. I won't even call it a blister because it never bothers to bubble up. After practice when I take off my skates, the skin chafes so badly that there's an open (sometimes bloody) sore, a little smaller than a dime. It scabs, I keep a blister bandaid on it until it heals, wait for the scab to fall off, try to skate again without a bandaid hoping that it's finally calloused enough not to need further protection, and then the wound opens and forms again. Time trials and speed laps seem to be the worst offenders.

I've tried rubbing my skates out but aside from obvious break-in issues, is there anything I can do to encourage a callous to form? I don't think I've ever had blister issues for this long in 8 years of skating and playing basketball and running track back in the day. Help!

I had issues cause I sweat insanely in the feet, and even the best socks, and my super soft 911 redlines would start to rub my arch raw when soaked after skaitng for a few hours. Mole skin would not stay put, duck tape wrinkled too much.

I have the ultra-thin ez-fits, but my boots are a perfect fit, and even with the thinest ezefit on, my boot felt bulky, and caused my foot to go numb, so for me these did not work.

So I was wiping down feet and changing socks every hour, a bit of a pain since once I have my skates on and the right tightness in laces I don't like taking them off.

As far as socks go, my favorite are wigwam cool-lite pro, best socks I have used, and I have tried many. they wick very well, and are not too thin, not too thick.

My solution/savior has been Leukotape. I put one strip of this on each foot arch before I skate. I start the strip halfway across the bottom of my foot and end just over the arch. I found this stuff from distance runners and people who through hike the Appalacian trail as their blister solution

Put it on when your feet are dry and it will not go anywhere, and best part is it is no thicker than white athletic tape, so one strip does not feel bulky under socks, and you can't feel it at all in your boot.

A bit pricey, at $10-12 a roll, but a roll last me a long time, several month anyways.

http://amzn.com/B000H94TAQ

Oh, and for breaking in counters, here is what I did on my 126, I posted this solution before, it made a big difference

Here is the boot relaxed

Here, I take the counter and start to roll it outwards with my hand while applying clamp pressure, as you can see it gives the counter a nice rounded shape, allowing more room for flatter feet. More pressure it will bow out more. I would leave boots like this when not skating them until they are broken in to your liking.

Old August 13th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet N. Lowdown View Post
Hey all,

I tried a set of 695's for a summer, I'm tenacious when it comes to foot "fitting", nothing worked, my left heel was always in pain, that winter the left Achilles seized up (hardboot snowboarder, it was a drag) decided it was the boots, been in 351's with minimal discomfort since, grab a used boot from a different manufacturer.

Custom orthotis
They come in two flavors, high volume for snowboarding and low volume for tennis, running, you want low volume.
A ski shop would be good, take the skates, a good tech is going to position your knee properly and the orthotic will work in any footware.

Calloused arches, wow, foot bed's (orthotics) allow you to properly balance, they spread your body weight out 100% over your foot, not just on one "hot" spot, for something you enjoy doing, it's well worth the investment
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Poobah

695s are basically a cross between the better features of the classic and modern 265. So leather sole, leather lined, lower heel, velcro strap but all D width rather than combo last.

If you're comfy in an Oberhamer 351 and not a 695, your feet are on the narrower side. You probably want to avoid Alpha last boots.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #17
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
695s are basically a cross between the better features of the classic and modern 265. So leather sole, leather lined, lower heel, velcro strap but all D width rather than combo last.

If you're comfy in an Oberhamer 351 and not a 695, your feet are on the narrower side. You probably want to avoid Alpha last boots.
The 695 is a worst case scenario in any boot, the 351's are wider btw, and my feet are eee's
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi

Well it seems like you have the same thing that I have had to deal with years ago. Mine was due to orthotics set in the boot.

So put on a small piece of pad or foam and tape it on the arch at the proper place. You will have to play with the right size and position. This will stop the rubbing action which is re-creating the wound and a nice respectable callus will form under the pad. I have written about this for a long time.

Other solutions might also work, yet that worked for me.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
I used to have a little bit of adhesive wool that I stuck on to my old skate boots where the boot as wearing out, so I didn't get blisters there. It was only a short term thing until I got new boots, which ended up being more than a year later. The guy who gave it to me used to race back in the 80's. He said that some people and used to put the adhesive wool where their pressure points in their boots were. I only got enough for my boots and never ended up finding out how to get it or where to get it. However I had a pair of boots that needed some. I ended up buying some adhesive foam stuff for them from a chemist.
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #19
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
The 695 is a worst case scenario in any boot, the 351's are wider btw, and my feet are eee's
Were yours perhaps customs?

Last edited by Poobah; August 15th, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Sweet N. Lowdown

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of response. It's been a crazy month (my family and I were rear-ended in a hit-and-run and have had physical and financial issues stemming from this incident to deal with).

Anyway, just checked back here and read through all of the replies. I think this is more than enough to get me started. At the moment, the sore has a scab that has almost healed...maybe, just maybe, it will be the last time it opens. To answer the questions above, I always skate with socks and yes, I'm told I skate both low and wide. I've been skating with Atom Super G wheels, which are 59mm diameter, slim profile, and 91A. I've been happy with them but am thinking about possibly experimenting with a bigger wheel again...

(FanJet - I really do love the setup and really don't want to adjust anything. BTW, we have a bout this Saturday. Army vs. Navy - I'll be captaining the Navy team - you should come out with your daughter!)

Last edited by Sweet N. Lowdown; August 23rd, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Sweet N. Lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote