S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
defying gravity

Default Plate size?

I've worked out I should be a size 3.5 bont boot, what size plate does that correspond to, I'm going for the mag avenger. Thanks.
defying gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by defying gravity View Post
I've worked out I should be a size 3.5 bont boot, what size plate does that correspond to, I'm going for the mag avenger. Thanks.
I'd put a 0 on it. Maybe a 1.

How did you arrive at that boot size?
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
defying gravity

My feet measure 230mm length. I used the bont measurement wizard.
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by defying gravity View Post
My feet measure 230mm length. I used the bont measurement wizard.
Are you positive of that measurement? If you are, and if I were doing it, I'd put you in a 4 boot, and size 1 plate.
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Are you positive of that measurement? If you are, and if I were doing it, I'd put you in a 4 boot, and size 1 plate.
Hmm? 230x85mm gets a 3.5 from the Bont site. Are you backhandedly saying something is wrong about their measuring tool?

On SouthernSkater, there was a gal having trouble keeping her heel down because her boot was a half size too big. Heat molding wouldn't fix it. Her foot would slide forward and up comes the heel.

Just wondering what's up.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #6
defying gravity

I'm going to try some on next week so will also go on the results of that. I think I'm on the edge between a standard and a wide fit so hopefully trying some on will help that too.

I found one page that said add 4mm to your measurement (so 234mm) I think that takes me to a 4 but not sure if the wizard is adding that too?!
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Hmm? 230x85mm gets a 3.5 from the Bont site. Are you backhandedly saying something is wrong about their measuring tool?
No. I don't use the tool. I derive my opinion from having fitted a few dozen skaters with Bont boots.

If her foot truly measures 230mm long, adding 4mm for toe room as Bont recommends puts her at 234mm. A size 3.5 is 232mm long inside. That means there's 2mm of toe space. That's about .075 inches. If she's ok with her toes touching the inside of the boot all the time, the a 3.5 might work. It also might mean some discomfort and perhaps losing a toenail or two. Going up to a size 4, which is 236mm, will give her more like .25" of toe room.

Quote:
On SouthernSkater, there was a gal having trouble keeping her heel down because her boot was a half size too big. Heat molding wouldn't fix it. Her foot would slide forward and up comes the heel.
Yeah that'll happen with boots that are too big. That's not what we're talking about here. And if her foot is sliding forward in a Bont there's something else wrong.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Salamanda

Quote:

Just wondering what's up.
Interesingly, when I use the Bont tool and going by their size chart I come out as a 7/39 which corresponds to my street shoe size - I vary between a 39/40. When I tried on several pairs (at a shop with a full range of stock fitting boots) the best fitting pair was a 6/38
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
defying gravity

I think I like the sound of a size 4, I don't want my toes cramped to the end. I like being able to move my toes when I skate.

My normal shoe size is a wide 4.5 but end up normally in a 5. I have a lot of issues with shoes fitting. My current boots don't hurt at all but they're too stiff.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
hdmx539

I'm presently working with dvw on a pair of Bonts. He got it right with me. The Bont wizard had me in a 4 on one foot, 4.5 on the other. There is NO WAY I'd fit in that. None. I'm a size 7ish in Men's. DVW sent me a size 5 pair to try on. They were perfect.

ETA:
My left foot measures 240mm length, right is 235mm length.
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Well, I did my foot measurements. The floor in one bathroom has a clean right edge good for using the Bont measuring method. I came up with 280x108. The Bont tool called that a size 9/42. I wear a 9.5/43 and have NO fit issues. There is a little extra room forward my big toe, but I think I would rather have the room than not.

So maybe we should make folks aware that the Bont tool may provide a tight, lengthwise fit.

Perhaps others could take the measurement to see what their results are.

ALSO, worth noting is that I am near the top range of 9/42.
280 gave a size 9
281 gave a size 9
282 gave a size 9.5

So......, maybe if folks are going to use the tool, they should play with the tool some to determine if they are near the top of a size range. THEN, they might want to go a half size, or one euro size up.

Messing around some more, I discovered that size 9 runs from 277-281mm. I, at 280, was near the top or the size 9 range. 9.5 works for me. So I guess the tool has value. But if one is near the top of the size range, going up would be good. If I were 278, I would not likely be liking a size 9.5.