S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Daveho

Default doing the ref thing

yesterday i had my first taste of being a ref. i like it.
this however is problematic for me as between ref training, reffing the scrim and my derby training afterwards im a bit tired and sore today (worth it!) i spent about 6 hours on skates yesterday and have to say that im really looking forward to doing it again next Sunday.
how many of you ref and play? any pearls of wisdom?
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Remember that when you are on the track as a player; the refs have a different view of the action than you do. Cut them some slack.

Remember that when you are on the track as a ref; the players are vested in the game they are playing. Have a little thick skin if they are emotional (that doesn't broach into "Abusive, Profane, Vulgar" )

You can do both; just not at the same time.
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Zibbit

I do both.. while some refs out there believe in a either or mentality.. (to be a great ref you can't play) I think that's just plain retarded.. You're showing more commitment than most are willing to entertain to this sport.

The most important thing to remember once you put on those stripes, is to keep your emotions out of the equation.. you're no longer friends with those players on the track.. you're there to do the best job possible for the players, to ensure their safety and enforcing the rules with an unbiased opinion.

Most have actually commented saying that I must have split personalities.. because I'm a completely different person wearing stripes vs a jammer panty.
Zibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
PappaWheelie

Advice?

1) Be confident in your call. What kills me and most of the other new refs I have met is that they let a skater get half way around the track before they are sure that it was a penalty. It comes with practice.

2) Don't let the players get into dialogue. Make the call and move on. The refs can hash out whether it was a good call later.

3) Just because a someone has reffed longer doesn't always mean they are right. I backed down on some righteous calls because I figured seasoned reffed new the rules better. Being new sometimes is an advantage because you are actively reading the rules now and fresh up-to-date on them. The seasoned refs have a lot to teach, but if you are sure you are right stand up for your decision.

4) Let it go. If the head ref during the game tells you to play a rule a certain way-- go with it. He is the head ref and as long as the interpretation is consistent with everyone. Argue the matter on the way to the after party.

5) Probably most important advice I have--- every chance you get call out player color and number. It is so hard to see numbers sometimes and if you don't develop that eye for it, you can really lose a penalty call. I will just say them sometimes in practice in a normal voice pretending to make penalty calls.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote