S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Pikaia

Default DOTD 94A vs 92A?

I'm Fresh Meat, 135 lbs, skating on coated wood. I started on Poisons and quickly moved on to 93A Fugitive Mids. Since then I've been skating on either 93A or 96A Fugitive Mids, and I like 'em quite a bit. But after reading reviews of Rollerbones wheels, I decided to try 94A DOTD.

I LOVE how they roll. The difference between these and Fugitive Mids is huge. But I'm finding it very hard to keep control around turns, and my plows are way too slidey. Last night was the first time I've ever fallen during the 5 minute skate. Despite falling I still PR'd with 29 laps.

Could they need more break-in time? I've skated on them about 6 hours: two practices, one session.

If there was a 90A version I'd be all over it. With only a 2 point difference, is the 92A version likely to feel much different from 94A? 86A sounds far too sticky, unless they roll a LOT harder than Poisons.

Thoughts?
Pikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Zibbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikaia View Post
I'm Fresh Meat, 135 lbs, skating on coated wood. I started on Poisons and quickly moved on to 93A Fugitive Mids. Since then I've been skating on either 93A or 96A Fugitive Mids, and I like 'em quite a bit. But after reading reviews of Rollerbones wheels, I decided to try 94A DOTD.

I LOVE how they roll. The difference between these and Fugitive Mids is huge. But I'm finding it very hard to keep control around turns, and my plows are way too slidey. Last night was the first time I've ever fallen during the 5 minute skate. Despite falling I still PR'd with 29 laps.

Could they need more break-in time? I've skated on them about 6 hours: two practices, one session.

If there was a 90A version I'd be all over it. With only a 2 point difference, is the 92A version likely to feel much different from 94A? 86A sounds far too sticky, unless they roll a LOT harder than Poisons.

Thoughts?
If you need just a little bit more traction.. go with the 92 RBT's, if you need more than that, then start looking at 86 RBT. Another option is to loosen your trucks a little bit.. sometimes traction issues arise from trucks that are too tight.

Just a note.. comparing the DOTD vs RBT's.. the RBT's roll MUCH faster and feel more firmly planted.. but, you're paying a high premium for them. Staying with one brand of wheels means that the durometer rating will be more predictable than switching brands. Also yes.. the RBT's do roll a lot harder than Poisons. Just look at the sidewall of the urethane.. if it's tall, they'll be spongy at lower duro ratings, if they're low profile they'll feel more solid.

Another option is to venture away from the RollerBones and skate what your teammates are skating.. just look at one of them that's similar size to you, and try her wheels out.

To skip a break-in time on basically all wheels, try using some Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and give the wheels a good solid rub down with a rag... You can actually see the surface of the wheel change slightly in shine when you've done it correctly. What you're trying to do is remove the slippery outer surface of the urethane.. which I believe is something similar to a mold release compound.. usually this happens with skating.. but if you're short on time then a solid Iso rub works wicked.
Zibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Pikaia

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I'm not convinced that I want to shell out for RBTs. DOTDs cost half as much! It would sting like heck if I bought RBTs and didn't like them more than the wheels I already have.

I think my trucks are okay. I've got a combo of yellow barrel and blue cone Sure-Grip Super cushions. I tighten them only enough so that I'm not wobbling. I've had more experienced skaters concerned that my trucks are much too loose, but I think that's because they're running harder cushions on their own skates, and they're not familiar with how a softer cushion behaves.

And as far as what others are rolling, it seems to be all over the map. Lots of girls rolling only high 90s, and at the same time there are a fair number of skaters using Poisons.

But I will rub down the wheels I've got with isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps any!

Last edited by Pikaia; October 30th, 2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added truck/cushion info
Pikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Also, because the difference in hubs (DOTD has a plastic/nylon vs. RBTS aluminum) there will be less hub flex so you will find even less deformation of the urethane=RBTS may slide more than you want even at a lower durometer.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my 101 RBT's (i'm also 5'10 and 250lbs) but if you are having trouble sliding out, a aluminum hub may not be your best jump depending on body type, plate type, cushions, etc.