S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Gero

Default The perfect outdoor wheel -> Orangatang Balut

I just found last week in a Skateshop in Paris the new Orangatang Balut Longboard wheels which are incredible light for their size, center cored with 72,5mm diameter and available in 80a, 83a and 86a (I look especially for the 86a! :-) )

Due to the center core, I believe it's easy to cut them on the backside on a lathe to loose more weight and make them a bit more narrow for better controlled skating.

In my eyes the better alternative to the wonderful Zombie Hawks due to the lower weight and center core. For long distance skating it could be the wheel to desire, will check next month to get them.

Check them out here or search other sources for further details and reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Orangatang-Whe...9595425&sr=8-2

Did anyone already tried them and could share the experiences?

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Snarf77
Jump On It

And the best thing - I can get them overnight for $4 or 2 day for free!

I heart amazon prime.
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Armadillo

Good to know.

I would like to know the hub diameter.. The Mini Zombie Hawgs are a 40mm hub, but these, at least visually, seem like they might be a couple mm larger.

I also do not like the asymmetrical geometry of the M-Z-H hub, with the three ribs between the bearings inside the center ring not able to align symmetrically with the main seven spoke pattern.

All three "notches" between these ribs are aligned with the holes through the ribs and this causes three weak spots in the inner ring that captures the bearings.

I am not sure if I would go with the 83A or the 86A until I see some feedback on how they roll with different pavement quality.

-Armadillo
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
jbgerman

I read, that the spoke-construction of the core is quite a bit flexible, to avoid uneven abrasion in downhill-sliding. Not ideal for speed roller skating.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #5
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

I'm gonna have to stick with Jammer Speed Wheels for the outdoor stuff... or the RL Heliums for recreational Outdoor

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #6
abi

Hi, I've bought a set of purple one (83a) two months ago. they feel a bit hard for an outdoor use, but have an excellent grip. i won't recommend a 86a set for rolling, much more for outdoor sliding. I think 83a is the highest duro limit for these model. The rolling is great, good sensation.
They seems to be quite resistent, no conical effect appeared.
Attention to the centered core, these wheels could not feet on all trucks, they are basically design for larger trucks.
If i had to re-order them, i'll order a 80a set. 83a is a bit hard for my habits. (I'm used with Green Classic K 76mm)
abi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi View Post
Hi, I've bought a set of purple one (83a) two months ago. they feel a bit hard for an outdoor use, but have an excellent grip. i won't recommend a 86a set for rolling, much more for outdoor sliding. I think 83a is the highest duro limit for these model. The rolling is great, good sensation.
They seems to be quite resistent, no conical effect appeared.
Attention to the centered core, these wheels could not feet on all trucks, they are basically design for larger trucks.
If i had to re-order them, i'll order a 80a set. 83a is a bit hard for my habits. (I'm used with Green Classic K 76mm)
If the asphalt is rough, then the firmer (83A and up) wheels can be a harsh ride, but most of us quad speed freaks know where to go to roll on the smoother asphalt.

I have now rolled on both the Zombie Hawgs and the Mini Zombie Hawgs, and I can assure everyone that they give a very smooth and fast ride. Extremely good roll and energy conservation (high rebound).
The urethane is very tough and cut resistant.

The big issue is their weight. With the 40mm hub, both the 70mm Mini and the 76mm regular Hawgs are much heaver than 70mm Twisters or V-Rs.

I narrowed the Mini Hawgs to 37mm but even at that width they felt heavy to me. When I get my own set I will be narrowing them down to 32mm.

-Armadillo
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #8
WilliesPop

Default Orangatang

i got a set of these for a friend of ebay becouse the color, and then got a chance to use them on my long board and liked them alot, but i have not used them on my skates, but they do have some give, maybe not the best for skates, dont know......
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #9
NorCal03

Default any update?

any update on how these work for outdoor quad. I want a wheel I don't have to modify (no tools, no time, no experience) thanks guys
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
any update on how these work for outdoor quad. I want a wheel I don't have to modify (no tools, no time, no experience) thanks guys

I bought a set a few weeks ago, actually they are still with a friend who will cut them the next days on the inside up to the bearing frame to make them more narrow and lighter.

I can't wait to try the drilled Baluts and will share my experiences here for sure.

I am not with the opinion of Dillo, his experiences are that the ZombieHawks in 84a came very close to the speed of the RD Twister. They are a bit softer and for sure not so noisy than the Twisters, but will never reach their speed. They are ok for training, but too slow for competition.

Maybe the difference in how they feel and work varies with the weight of the skater. I am around 95 kg, maybe a person with 75 kg gets a total different behavior.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #11
Gero

Default Gotcha!

I finally got the drilled Balut about 10 days ago, had the chance to try them on 3 different events, the last was the Rhine on Skates, a 138 km tour next on the river rhine two days ago.

Would should I say: They are really awesome and I have found my perfect wheel which I also can use in competition like marathon races.

Without bearings the weight of each wheel is 112g, much lighter than the Zombies, but still a bit heavier than the RD Twister.

However, these Balut wheels give you very good speed, an excellent roll and they are very silent on the street. Also we had passages with wet roads after rain, no problem at all with these wheels, best rain performances I have ever skated. They are also much faster and give good rebound on roads with rough asphalt, the place where the RD Twister come very quick to the end of their performance.

From my feeling I can't imagine to try them in the softer versions with my weight (like abi wrote above), they feel softer on the road than the durometers says and if I would need to look for a different durometer of these wheel I would choose a higher one.

I am not the sales manager of Orangatang, but if you are looking for speed wheels for longer distances the Balut in 86a for skater with my weight of 93 kg is in my eyes actually the very best you can get on the market!

I will also try them first in a race at the Berlin Marathon on 29 September.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
I finally got the drilled Balut about 10 days ago, had the chance to try them on 3 different events, the last was the Rhine on Skates, a 138 km tour next on the river rhine two days ago.

Would should I say: They are really awesome and I have found my perfect wheel which I also can use in competition like marathon races.

Without bearings the weight of each wheel is 112g, much lighter than the Zombies, but still a bit heavier than the RD Twister.

However, these Balut wheels give you very good speed, an excellent roll and they are very silent on the street. Also we had passages with wet roads after rain, no problem at all with these wheels, best rain performances I have ever skated. They are also much faster and give good rebound on roads with rough asphalt, the place where the RD Twister come very quick to the end of their performance.

From my feeling I can't imagine to try them in the softer versions with my weight (like abi wrote above), they feel softer on the road than the durometers says and if I would need to look for a different durometer of these wheel I would choose a higher one.

I am not the sales manager of Orangatang, but if you are looking for speed wheels for longer distances the Balut in 86a for skater with my weight of 93 kg is in my eyes actually the very best you can get on the market!

I will also try them first in a race at the Berlin Marathon on 29 September.
Good news and glad they turned out so well for you.

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new set of skateboard wheels, and wanting to know how you experiment turned out.

How much did you end up narrowing them on the back side, for a total new width of -- _____ mm?

Did you make some radius on the back side corner after narrowing them?

How did the 72.5 mm size work out for boot clearance?

Based on performance, do you think that they could be narrowed a bit more for a lighter weight skater?

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 28th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Good news and glad they turned out so well for you.

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new set of skateboard wheels, and wanting to know how you experiment turned out.

How much did you end up narrowing them on the back side, for a total new width of -- _____ mm?

Did you make some radius on the back side corner after harrowing them?

How did the 72.5 mm size work out for boot clearance?

Based on performance, do you think that they could be narrowed a bit more for a lighter weight skater?

-Armadillo
Dillo, they were just narrowed on the back side up to the bearing box of the hub. More makes no sin without damaging the frame for the bearings, less would also make no sin because of the more weight and less maneuverability.

Boot clearance is not a problem on my Suregrip Competitor plates, I can also use them with 76mm wheels like the Landyachtz Zombies.

I didn't measure it up to now, I would say the total width is now around 33mm. I wouldn't try to reach smaller width by saving maybe another 5 gramms.

There is no radius made on front or back side, I didn't want to stress my friend any more who is doing the lathe work for me.

I believe you can't do a mistake in trying it. Maybe first try my step and try them out, than choose your lathe options if you think they would give you any further profit.

Cheers

Gero
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #14
NorCal03

Default Thx

Thanks for the review, glad they worked out. Now, since it sounds like they need a modification *(cut down) is there anyone on here that does that *(Quality) and for a decent price. I would assume you couldn't just run them without modification?
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Thanks for the review, glad they worked out. Now, since it sounds like they need a modification *(cut down) is there anyone on here that does that *(Quality) and for a decent price. I would assume you couldn't just run them without modification?
I do custom wheel harrowing for a decent price, even more decent if you let me roll them for a few miles before I ship them to you.

Click on my name above Avatar PIC and choose send email for cost info if you are interested.

A shiny smooth surface cut & precision width, with corners radiused too.

-Armadillo