S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #21
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

I think I might be the guy KMA was mentioning who had the Edea boots. I have the Edea Ritmo. After working with them for a while, I really love them. Some people have had problems with the tongue flexing lose, but my coach showed me a way to tie the hooks to help prevent this. SSPinball did comment that the heel padding was light. I've experienced this. The back of the boot can sometimes feel like a concrete wall against the back of your heel (ouch!). Solution: reduce the tightening on the upper lace hooks just a tiny bit. Since most of all boots don't really have heel padding at all, is this really a big issue?

Coincidentally, I actually picked up a used Harlick Competitor boot (supposedly 10 years old) for doing moves in my house and getting used to walking with that heel. This has actually helped. The bottom of this boot is really slippery on my carpet, which helps keep my center of gravity balanced when doing moves (like a waltz jump) -- sortof simulating the balance you need when landing on moving wheels.

The Harlick is in excellent condition, barely used and not even barely broken in. It's still squeeky! At 80 bucks, I think I got a smoking deal (they were attached to some ice blades that I removed). They are size 10.5 B, which fit pretty good except that the heel is too wide. I'm probably a size A heel. They are definitely not as comfortable as the Edea's (no inside padding). I'm not sure that I like the rubber sponge tongue on this one (probably prefer lambs wool). Fit is extremely important on these boots. The heel is too sloppy and would rub if I skated on these (unless i heat molded it narrower). The front part of the boot is not perfectly comfortable, but that might be just needing to break in the boot. I can definitely tie this boot tighter around the leg on the upper part of the boot, but I'm sure that the boot will start flexing and developing leather folds over time.

The Edea is designed to not develop any flex folds in the mid/upper part of the boot like normal leather boots. I think they compensate for this by providing a tongue system that's a little more flexible. With my Ritmo's, I've had no problem with the stiffness of the boot and doing things like crossovers and reverse crossover. This is definitely not a figure boot. I'm definitely interested in the Fly now. While the Edea is very comfortable, it holds your foot very firmly. The foam (almost like memory foam) molds to your foot naturally during break-in. I'm not sure that I would get a Harlick boot now that I'm used to the Edeas. The Edea foam padding surrounds the entire foot (even the front part). The Harlick boot I got doesn't have any padding whatsoever (maybe some ankle padding built into the leather).

Link that shows where padding is on the Harlick (cutaway of the boot):
http://www.harlick.com/img/order/cutaway3.jpg
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #22
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Sounds good.... besides can one have too many skates?
-Dan
exactly Dan.

My problem is I think, I will not fit them, but Ginger(works at Harlicks) thinks otherwise.
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #23
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
exactly Dan.

My problem is I think, I will not fit them, but Ginger(works at Harlicks) thinks otherwise.
I worked with Rudy at Harlick when I had the tongues replaced on mine and spoke with Ginger on the phone as well. They were very nice to do business with each time.

Post some pics when they are finished.

S
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #24
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

I will,

I am waiting a bit, probably sometime after March for the boots, I am getting ready for the plates first, I have the wheels, until the little one decides to take them back from me.

I am in hopes she leaves this sidewalk skating for the real thing.