S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old November 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #1
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Default Harlick VS Edea

So, it is for a figure skate use only. (Maybe a slight dance here or there)

One claims that the break in time is so little, whereas the custom boot for one to use is a while to break in as well weighs much more.

Can some of you tell me your knowledge of either boot and advantages as well disadvantages with either or both boots?

Old November 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Edea, great fit, very high heels, nice quality.
Heat mold, "0" break in time, nice snug fit.
very tough material to drill and mount.
Heels were too high for me, I had to cut them down about 3/8"
the heel pad is pretty small.
that was my EDEA expereince.

SSpinball
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Vitaman
This used to be easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
So, it is for a figure skate use only. (Maybe a slight dance here or there)
One claims that the break in time is so little, whereas the custom boot for one to use is a while to break in as well weighs much more.
Can some of you tell me your knowledge of either boot and advantages as well disadvantages with either or both boots?
My daughter uses EDEA for both dance and figures. The thing about the break in time is true. The are also very light when compared to the Riedells that she used to skate. She is in her second season on them, and loves them. One pair is mounted to a Giotto, the other to a Mistral.

I could not justify getting her the Harlicks when her coach had recommended them. I just couldn't see spending that much money for an 11 old who would outgrow them in a year. However, I didn't want to see her go through the break in pain of the newer Riedell either. Those things are like casts.

So, we took a chance on the EDEA when Dave Ripp guaranteed me he would stand behind them if she didn't like them after a reasonable amount of time. Well, they broke in as quickly as we were told they would, and she loves the comfort and the weight. As for the quality, I have nothing negative to say, other than they smell a little weird.

I cannot speak for the Harlicks, other than my personal opinion: they are way too expensive.

Old November 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #4
shellysk

Default Harlick vs. Edea

If for figures only, the weight should not be an issue, as there is really no endurance related to figures where there would be for dance or singles. The weight of the boot and plate is of the biggest concern for singles and jumping, where you need to get up high off of the floor in order to complete the rotations. I believe that the Harlick will probably last longer, as it is made of solid leather, through and through as contrasted to the Edea boots, which I believe have a fair amount of nylon. This would not be as big of a concern for a child who will outgrow them quickly. However, many times children's boots can be resold for a fair amount of the original purchase price (believe me, I have bought several pairs myself). I have a pair of Reidell Gold Stars I use for figures that I have had for 10 years and are still like brand new - no ankle creases or anything. In fact, I have not even had to polish them, just a bit of saddle soap to remove a scuff on one toe. So, if considering the cost per wear, you may get more "bang for the buck" with the Harlicks. I do wear Harlick for dance, custom ones. I have had those for 3 years now, and those had no break in time for me. I put them on and have never had a sore spot, blister or anything. I also prefer the look of the the leather boot, but that is personal preference. Both are quality products, and I think you should weigh the options and consider the price point. I do know that I very rarely see a female competing figures in an Edea boot, although I know a few men that do.
shellysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #5
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

First off, I'd like to say thank you to all that have responded. I am indeed grateful, and have been looking closer at my choices. I did run into something, I'd like to ask about, and this the light weight Harlick boot. Is there anyone here that has either the custom or the in stock boots that are their "lightweight" boots?

If so, please might you tell us a bit about them? What purpose are you using them for?
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #6
KMA

I have custom Harlicks on order. I did not opt for the "light" because I am going to use the boots for figures.

I have one friend who skates with custom Harlick boots for freestyle. He would not skate on anything else.

My coach uses some really old boot that I have never heard of. He does however own a pair of Edea fly, that he does not care for. He thinks they are too stiff.

Another friend skates with Edeas, and he thinks they are just the right stiffness.

I am sort of new to this level of boot, however, I think it might be like any shoe, or specialized footwear. I for example fit most German shoes with out question, Italian are a different story. My ski boots are Lange, I almost don't need to try them on my feet always fit into them and they are comfy (for ski boots that are not leather). Rossignol never fit my feet; they hurt, my toes go to sleep, and I get shin splints.

So what I mean is try them on, skate in them if possible.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #7
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

just to add a bit more;
the Edeas are very lite-weight, thats why I bought them.
and they are a pretty stiff boot, compared to most others.
I got the Fly boot, I was dissapointed to find the outer leather/ material
would skin off badly if the boot touched the floor, so they loose a point for lack of durability.
I had to add toe protection, or they would have burned/peeled badly.

for the price you expect them to be bullet-proof !

The Fly has the Air flow ventiation, which actually works very well.
Did I mention they have a very tall Heel !
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #8
cindysk8s
Rollin' in AZ

I've worn Harlicks all my life. Customs for figures and Classics for Dance. My daughter - who is 11- wears Harlicks for figures and Edea Classicas for dance. She doesn't like the Edea for figs. Classicas had zero break in time and fit like a slipper. So much so, i may switch to Edeas for dance when i need new boots. The Edeas must be mounted properly - they dont mount like a normal boot so if you opt for Edea make sure whoever you have mount them knows what they are doing. Both boots are fairly light weight but the Edeas are lighter.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaman View Post

I cannot speak for the Harlicks, other than my personal opinion: they are way too expensive.

That they are. When I was growing up, my mom flat out refused to spend that kind of money on my art boots or blades. I usually had Wifa Primas, not cheap but not garbage either.

Once my feet stopped growing, she dropped the cash on a pair of Harlicks with some fancy k-pick blades (which I still have but they're trashed). If I skate ice, I use my Jacksons but they're getting trashed too. I'm at the point now that I still want a good boot but I'm not spending $600 on a set of K-Pick or parabolic blades. I'll spend the money on quad skating stuff instead
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #10
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

I have to ask, if anyone here has used the Fly? Might it have been for dance or anything other then freestyle? Most of the gals that have this boot are using it for freestyle.
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #11
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I'm a picture kind of guy... Edea Fly/Roll-Line Dance.

I have always skated high top boots. The fly is a stiff boot,
and I did not want to go to the speed type skate boot/shoe.
I am a free style skater. The Fly has a very high Heel, I cut my down about 3/8".
send me a pm if you need any specific answers.
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #12
rwsz

very nice looking pair of boots and plates, do you find them too stiff for freestyle or backward skating??
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #13
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Actually I skate backwards most of the time,
they are perfect for backwards, with the tall heel it helps put you in the right stance/angle for backward skating.
the only noticeable time they feel tight is forward skating pushing hard,
or pushing out of a tight turn, when your angle is trying to make a tight angle ? like pushing forward on the tongue.
I do an alternating move "shoot the Duck", right -Left -Right -Left
kind of like sitting with 1 foot sticking straight out, and alternate the foot sticking out, is that flexible enough ?
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #14
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpinball View Post
Actually I skate backwards most of the time,
they are perfect for backwards, with the tall heel it helps put you in the right stance/angle for backward skating.
the only noticeable time they feel tight is forward skating pushing hard,
or pushing out of a tight turn, when your angle is trying to make a tight angle ? like pushing forward on the tongue.
I do an alternating move "shoot the Duck", right -Left -Right -Left
kind of like sitting with 1 foot sticking straight out, and alternate the foot sticking out, is that flexible enough ?
sounds like they work well for you, enjoy them. i just knew some world class single skaters that thought they were too stiff. maybe the size of the person matters too.
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM   #15
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

As I still have my other custom Harlicks, I am going to move a head with those again. I spoken with Harlicks and feel that because of my boots are so old, and they are in such great shape for being over 20 years old; It is in my best interest for me to continue with the tradition by getting my new customs from them again.

May it be for cardio and dance, I move toward Edea...only time will tell.

Thank you all for the responses, as I really truly almost moved that way.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
As I still have my other custom Harlicks, I am going to move a head with those again. I spoken with Harlicks and feel that because of my boots are so old, and they are in such great shape for being over 20 years old; It is in my best interest for me to continue with the tradition by getting my new customs from them again.

May it be for cardio and dance, I move toward Edea...only time will tell.

Thank you all for the responses, as I really truly almost moved that way.
why not get your old ones relined or refurbished if they do them.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #17
DanSchallock

yeah, if you have custom Harlicks that are in great shape, what is wrong with them now anyway?
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM   #18
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Wink

hahalollol

Dan,

You've a right to ask that, and I'll tell you. 20 some old years later, and a child

I've been told by the rep that they'll try to make them fit, but I'd like to have a new pair, then I'll use the other for dance.

Besides these would be for tests only and I can get wild colors if I wanted. I think, the child is coming out of me
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #19
DanSchallock

Sounds good.... besides can one have too many skates?
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #20
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
That they are. When I was growing up, my mom flat out refused to spend that kind of money on my art boots or blades. I usually had Wifa Primas, not cheap but not garbage either.

Once my feet stopped growing, she dropped the cash on a pair of Harlicks with some fancy k-pick blades (which I still have but they're trashed). If I skate ice, I use my Jacksons but they're getting trashed too. I'm at the point now that I still want a good boot but I'm not spending $600 on a set of K-Pick or parabolic blades. I'll spend the money on quad skating stuff instead
Acid Burn. You wouldn't, by any chance, be Curt Palme?