S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 15th, 2018, 06:54 AM   #21
maltoch

the "old" route are very similar to the classic k....
they are supposed to be 78a and i checked the durometer with a tool but feel harder.
they hare very very heavy compared to others and the exterior lip doesn't help at all....

the advantage of a round exterior lip....like cruise, hawaii k, new route or zombies is that it gives a sort of final push when your push on your legs ....

like i alxays say....the frictiin sound of the wheels on the floor, generally asphalt ....gives a good indication of the urethane quality anf globally about the wheel.

there is a lot of myths in my opinion....zombies are for me, too heavy and poor rebound, velocity race has no rebound like ther radar flyer.sims snake are small and not too large and urethane isn't excellent.

i understand more people who like vintage wheels like roardrunner, tom peterson, krypto project 2, hyper strada, and the vanguard....because they are design for a good result....
for the modern wheels, except new route...,the rest is a little bit poor quality.

i think the uretane quality is sometime the problem but the design is excelleent too.

for me a good wheel should be with a krpyto roadrunne, project 2 or vanguard hub with a a cruise or nex route design in 80a and 72mm.....

compare the vanguad wuth roadrunner....the same hub but vangard has a very small lip...in facr, a krypto project 2 in 70mm....
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #22
BigFoot

I would be interested to hear how you like the Krypto Classic 85mm when you get around to trying them. Me thinks the large diameter would give a luxury ride, good for long cruises. Just not sure if they are side set. I can't find any photos of the back side of the wheel or specs/description about this. You might have to do some trimming.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM   #23
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I would be interested to hear how you like the Krypto Classic 85mm when you get around to trying them. Me thinks the large diameter would give a luxury ride, good for long cruises. Just not sure if they are side set. I can't find any photos of the back side of the wheel or specs/description about this. You might have to do some trimming.
I could not either. But,,,,,, I have a lathe! I want smooth ride and fun cruising around, more than speed at this point.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:17 PM   #24
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoch View Post
the "old" route are very similar to the classic k....
they are supposed to be 78a and i checked the durometer with a tool but feel harder.
they hare very very heavy compared to others and the exterior lip doesn't help at all....

the advantage of a round exterior lip....like cruise, hawaii k, new route or zombies is that it gives a sort of final push when your push on your legs ....

like i alxays say....the frictiin sound of the wheels on the floor, generally asphalt ....gives a good indication of the urethane quality anf globally about the wheel.

there is a lot of myths in my opinion....zombies are for me, too heavy and poor rebound, velocity race has no rebound like ther radar flyer.sims snake are small and not too large and urethane isn't excellent.

i understand more people who like vintage wheels like roardrunner, tom peterson, krypto project 2, hyper strada, and the vanguard....because they are design for a good result....
for the modern wheels, except new route...,the rest is a little bit poor quality.

i think the uretane quality is sometime the problem but the design is excelleent too.

for me a good wheel should be with a krpyto roadrunne, project 2 or vanguard hub with a a cruise or nex route design in 80a and 72mm.....

compare the vanguad wuth roadrunner....the same hub but vangard has a very small lip...in facr, a krypto project 2 in 70mm....
I need to get some wheel weight data soon. Still wheels are being shipped in. As the project moves on and I cut some wheels down, I'll know about weights more.
Later on I may get into faster wheels for more speed.
Old February 18th, 2018, 01:22 AM   #25
fierocious1

Default Skated the 76mm Zombie Hawgs at the rink today.

The weight is there, but the larger wheels roll pretty good. I would have thought they would have bogged me down and slowed quickly. But surprisingly, the roll was decent. I skated them on my long frame skates. I shimmed 2 times on the trucks. They work ok. Probably better outdoors. Traction indoors was stupid sticky! Wish I could have found these in 88a.
Old February 18th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #26
fierocious1

Default Recieved the 85mm Krypto wheels

They are big BUT, the backside radius going to the tread is ridiculous. Major waste of the tread, It narrows the contract patch a lot. If you are going to cut the outside face to reduce weight, that works but doesn't increase the contract patch at all. Maybe I am looking at this wrong, maybe the narrow contact patch helps roll. I don't know, but to gain contact patch, you are going to have to cut the wheel down a to probably 80mm or less to get some of it back.
Possible this works for softer wheels. I have read that the bigger the radius the easier it is to slide the wheels. Is it due to the narrowing of the patch or the radius? I'll have to roll them as soon as the other 4 wheels show up. Backset hub looks good, Soon the fun begins. If you face the outside of the wheel to nearly flush with the hub, the tread left is supported 100%. Then cut the wheel down to app 80mm, the unsupported urethane is going to be gone. Then put a small radius on the outside edge, call it done.

A smaller wheel(70mm) for a track as per Maltoch's recommendations would be great. Reduce weight as much as possible for racing, smaller wheels. I ran over some trash on the floor today, the 76mms..... just laughed and laughed.... said it tickled..
Old February 18th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #27
maltoch

my new route slides better when i brake than roadrunner.
roud edge are better for corners, stop, rear skating...you can take more angle...

when i stop fast, krypto aren't progressive...
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote