S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 18th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #1
JOEY666

Default Mid wheel evolution

i've really become interested in the various 62mm "MID" market that seems to be evolving.

Whereas alot people might suggest this thread might be better suited in the derby forum - because any narrow hubbed wheel is greatly considered so -some of the offerings lately seem to be performance and speed driven.
Yes. I am an old skater who is now playing derby all of the sudden .. but i love to skate at the beach or an occasional session. I am kind of a purist when it comes to skates and gear... old Prolines / 595redlines / purpleLips - for my era and growing up poor, my skates are my dream skates. but i dont wanna burn out my purples so i'm buying some wheels. I bought some mids off craigslist for $10 and now i see the advantage derbywise... speed wise the 4mm difference doesn't bother me (i try keeping up with NHL pros when they come whizzing by at the beach on their bauer blades). and as far as my grooveskating goes..ive been able to pull off my stuff a bit easier. It almost feels like cheating.

62mm MIDS can be a small jump from the 62x40-43mm speed wheels that i am used to. I consider a "MID" or "Narrow" wheel to be any 62x37-39. Most of the MIDS seem to be 62x38, but with the RB Turbo comin in at 37mm (i think) and now Aussie Scott's newest offering (promises 39mm tires to go with his new SLIM hub in the near future), I am starting to imagine a new niche ( i think you guys call it SEDS) to dive into.

Heres a few I have become interested in..

#1. AUSSIE SCOTT'S SLIM ENFORCER (62x39?)
Man.. I always wanted to get a set of Enforcers...and now he goes and does this! (oceans of drool)

#2. SUREGRIP ZOMBIE MID 95A RED (62x38)
There seems to be some debate over SureGrip wheels in general.. but i am gonna try these new mids (42mm in pic) because the colors match my skates (that's right - i said it!)

#3. RB TURBOS 97A (62x37mm)
I may never hold a set of Deanos in my own hands...so I am forced to check out Bones premier wheel

so if you guys who have any reviews or 62mm mids I overlooked - post em here. (I am not too interested in ATOMS offerings or other plastic or hybrid hubbed wheels. ..but hey, what do i know..?) I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ENCOURAGE THE WHEEL COMPANYS THEMSELVES to introduce or provide info on their respective wheels on this thread.
JOEY666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Hmm? 30 is narrow, 40 is normal speed, with some 42's thrown in. That makes mids 35, like the Fugitive. Good compromise IMHO. As for the plastic hub, remember, a narrower hub get less stress than a wide hub. Better able to take the stress.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #3
JOEY666

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Hmm? 30 is narrow, 40 is normal speed, with some 42's thrown in. That makes mids 35, like the Fugitive. Good compromise IMHO.

Hmm...i consider 35mm to be more of the "slim" catagory evidenced similar wheels by SureGrips new zombie slim or the radar diamond - and although fugitive refers to their wheel as a MID, i see it as a SLIM. That's a big jump - BUT COOL - Let's consider that wheel, too!!..

As for the plastic hub, remember, a narrower hub get less stress than a wide hub. Better able to take the stress.
hmmm..
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Poobah

RollerBones Turbos and Day of the Dead (and all of Day of the Dead's predecessor critter wheels) are actually 38mm, not 37mm. They don't publish this in their catalog nor on their web site (which means it's a miracle if one in five online skate shops get it right) but they told me on Facebook they were 38mm. Their art/rec wheels are all 30mm.

Fugitive Mids are 35mm per Sure-Grip site (I always thought they were 38mm).
Reckless are 38mm per GRN MNSTR web site
Heartless are 35mm per GRN MNSTR (one skate shops say 36, must be wrong)

One thing I've learned from following this stuff is that if they don't put it in the catalog, half the skate shops will guess, and others will just go with whatever's in the CMS template they set up for wheels.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #5
JOEY666

Default uh..thats not what i read..

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
JOEY666

Default uh..thats not what i read..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
RollerBones Turbos and Day of the Dead (and all of Day of the Dead's predecessor critter wheels) are actually 38mm, not 37mm. They don't publish this in their catalog nor on their web site (which means it's a miracle if one in five online skate shops get it right) but they told me on Facebook they were 38mm. .
read the small print under the RBT pics

http://rollerbones.com/content/pdf/R...pring_2012.pdf

not that it matters..

My question to you guys is... do you like MIDS - if so, which?
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEY666 View Post
Yes. I have some of Scotts Super D's cut to about 39mm as well as a heap of Enforcers and I seriously love them.
But I think Scotts new slim Enforcers will just step that up!
I'll be sure to let you know when I get some.
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
JOEY666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Yes. I have some of Scotts Super D's cut to about 39mm as well as a heap of Enforcers and I seriously love them.
But I think Scotts new slim Enforcers will just step that up!
I'll be sure to let you know when I get some.
wow!! i didnt even realize you could get those Scotts cut down to 39!! so you mean to tell me that you have a set of primo deano hubs and u put Super Ds on them and they are 39mm?!? thats gotta be the best mid wheel in the world!!
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Yeah, they are pretty sweet!
They probably spend more time on my skates than any other wheel, closely followed by some of Scotts OG "so hard they have cracks" Enforcers that are far from mids, they are about 64x44!
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #10
JOEY666

Default oh man.. those sound sweet!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Yeah, they are pretty sweet!
They probably spend more time on my skates than any other wheel, closely followed by some of Scotts OG "so hard they have cracks" Enforcers that are far from mids, they are about 64x44!
man.. i have got to get me some!!! but from what i gather SCOTT is so busy that i hate to even ask him if i can get a set - y'know.. i don't wanna bug him. But now i HAVE to get some Enforcers Slims - (and a set of Supers, too) maybe i'll PM him...
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
888sk8r
Retro Cruiser

Quote:
man.. i have got to get me some!!! but from what i gather SCOTT is so busy that i hate to even ask him if i can get a set - y'know.. i don't wanna bug him. But now i HAVE to get some Enforcers Slims - (and a set of Supers, too) maybe i'll PM him...
It"s worth the wait, I have S/E's in the 96a in flouro yellow, not mids though and they are worth every cent.

Now have Vitamin C"s 94a for me and some S/E 96"s in purple on order for the wifey, cant wait till their ready.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #12
hovercarl

Scotts slims are going to come in at 41: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45174
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Finn 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercarl View Post
Scotts slims are going to come in at 41: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45174
But Scott also said he can Cut them down a bit more and in the future he is hoping to do other moulds to suit a narrower tyre again. That is yet another difference with Scott and his gear. CUSTOM made! If you don't want the full 64mm stuff he does, or the 42 mm wide gear, just tell him when you order it and he will say if it's possible to make them shorter or narrower or both
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #14
Poobah

Quote:
read the small print under the RBT pics

http://rollerbones.com/content/pdf/R...pring_2012.pdf

not that it matters..

Curious. Not the first time a manufacturer has apparently disagreed with themselves on things... Sure-Grip's Fugitive green mix (which almost has to be the exact same urethane mix in either size given the limited numbers of green Mids made) is 96A when they pour it on the wide Fugitive hubs. But it magically firms up to 97A when they pour it onto their Mids hubs. It's probably the leprechauns they licensed the color from?

OTOH, perhaps I had just asked (or implied I was asking) about the nylon ones?
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #15
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

It's entirely possible for durometer to differ depending on hub size/design.

Think of a case where you have 0.1mm of urethane painted on a hard metal surface. The durometer is not going to indent much as all - i.e. it'll read very close to 100A - regardless of the hardness of the formula. Obviously an extreme never-going-to-happen case, but illustrates the point.

If you want actual made up numbers, I could go on about 101A, 103A etc, but everyone has heard that broken record before...
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #16
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default Narrow Scott's!

Imma be back in the pink one of these times...and my Aussie mate will have to get BIZZY just for my narrow lusts.
I must try the aluminum Super Ds as well as EACH flavor of the ENFORCERS...
Gonna be a bit of a tariff on that package...buuuuut, I'll be too stoked to care.
Get on the Scotts....
The Dippers are GREAT as well...so, Faster is key in 2012.
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
62x38, mids, narrow, wheels