S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Dekindy

Default Boot sizing question

Left Foot Right Foot
Unweighted Weighted Unweighted Weighted
Foot Length 41.5 42.0 42.0 42.0
Arch Length 43.0 43.5 43.0 43.5
Foot Width E E E E
Arch Height Medium Medium

These measurements were taken by my bicycle fitter and he seems to know what he is doing. He says I have a strong arch and one of my feet widths was barely an E unweighted but full E weighted, the other full E weighted and unweighted. He also says I have strong arches. My previous Shimano bicycle shoe was a 43 and current Shimano shoe is a 43.5.

Local derby store owner says I have a Riedell shaped foot. He sells Riedell, Bont, and Antik and seems to be very competent in what he sells. Experience with other brands is unknown. He put me in a Riedell 126 boot size 8.5, B/AA.

Any thoughts on boot brand and size?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
He put me in a Riedell 126 boot size 8.5, B/AA.

So on one hand, your bike guy says you have a relatively wide foot. The derby guys puts you in a B/AA??

How did that feel?? Did he explain what the B/AA meant.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

So on one hand, your bike guy says you have a relatively wide foot. The derby guys puts you in a B/AA??

How did that feel?? Did he explain what the B/AA meant.
When my bike fitter told me the width measurement I immediately began trying to reconcile why I had been put in a narrow width roller skate and remembering back to what the skate store guy said when I purchased the skates. I did know that B/AA meant narrower. I think he said I had a narrow heel, does this make sense? Was he allowing for the leather stretching? Bike guy used a Brannock device and skate guy used a length measuring stick.

I have read about lacing pattern width as an indicator and it does seem wider than expected for a normal fit. Should I have the larger width? Maybe I should go to another skate store that has expertise and verify if skate guy screwed up? Not sure where I would go. Any suggestions for Indianapolis area or Dayton or Cincinnati Ohio?
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
When my bike fitter told me the width measurement I immediately began trying to reconcile why I had been put in a narrow width roller skate and remembering back to what the skate store guy said when I purchased the skates. I did know that B/AA meant narrower. I think he said I had a narrow heel, does this make sense? Was he allowing for the leather stretching?

I have read about lacing pattern width as an indicator and it does seem wider than expected for a normal fit. Should I have the larger width?
Narrow is putting it mildly. Medium (the proverbial "normal" width) is C-D depending. Basically a B means the width in the ball area is narrower than a "medium" The AA means it is really, really narrow in the heel.

Heel width is not obvious... and based on experience things like the Riedell A last (is supposed to be a normal shape for normal feet.) are a bit loose in the heel if the width in front is right. A perfect example is my feet and the 195 boot. My heel will not stay in one... Not a biggie, I have both Risport and Winner outdoor racing shoes which work fine as do my Bonts w/ the U shape ankle cut outs..

The front is easier to see on the outside. If the throat ( the part that surrounds the tongue) bulges out after lacing and tying the boots, they are not as wide as they should be. May still work but are not fitting correctly.

Bottom line, if they work, as in fit right, nothing too tight or too loose, nothing moving about as you sk8 then it would indicate to me that you are in the ball park.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM   #5
Dekindy

How significant is the arch length being longer than the foot length for roller skating boots?

We took my Son to a specialty shoe store because of his abnormal feet. I also had them measure me and they recommended a full size larger shoe than I had normally been wearing; lots of extra length and toe room. Was this because of my arch length? Took a lot of getting used to. My understanding is that it would not be prudent to have a roller skate boot that was too long; that the toes should be barely touching of not touching the end of the boot for a correct fit.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Here ya go. This explains how the arch length is used to fit street shoes. NOTE: Since one does not bend the sk8 show @ the ball of the foot, the arch length may not be of much use.. However, the thing the arch length indicates in sk8 shoes is where the ball of the foot really is... Almost all sk8s are built based on the assumption that the widest part of the shoe is the location of the ball of your foot. Since Brannock takes the trouble to identify this stuff, perhaps sk8 builders should too.