S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 13th, 2020, 07:17 AM   #1
netplaceus
David

Default Rink skating and Coronavirus

I wondering what rink skater are going to do. As of right now we have about 1600 cases (reported ones!) in the US. A few short weeks from now, many, many thousands, the rate is increasing scary fast if you have been following.

I live to skate, but the skating rink seem like just about the worst place to hang out during a pandemic. Whole lot of people in close proximity (plus wind), lots of touching, talking, hugging and "workout" breathing. Scary!

I live in San diego California, other parts of the country will take longer to propagate I guess.

What are your thoughts? Will you be tapering off the rink?

I think I will do more outdoor skate with less crowded venues, maybe more hiking.

And what abut the gym, probably even worse. What a mess. Thoughts?
Old March 13th, 2020, 05:38 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
I wondering what rink skater are going to do. As of right now we have about 1600 cases (reported ones!) in the US. A few short weeks from now, many, many thousands, the rate is increasing scary fast if you have been following.

I live to skate, but the skating rink seem like just about the worst place to hang out during a pandemic. Whole lot of people in close proximity (plus wind), lots of touching, talking, hugging and "workout" breathing. Scary!

I live in San diego California, other parts of the country will take longer to propagate I guess.

I think I will do more outdoor skate with less crowded venues, maybe more hiking.

Switch over to outdoors
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2020, 09:10 PM   #3
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Switch over to outdoors
Yes, that's what I'm going to do, that and hiking.
Old March 13th, 2020, 10:19 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm going to do, that and hiking.
going to the farm and hike some this weekend
Old March 14th, 2020, 06:30 PM   #5
zebra1922

Deleted

Last edited by zebra1922; March 18th, 2020 at 11:40 PM.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 05:07 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:

If you are healthy and in shape, and I think you are both, you have nothing to worry about. Keep going to the rink and enjoy the extra space provided by the hysterical people who stop going. If you drive, you are more likely to die in your car than from corona virus. Even if you get it, you'll likely recover, not die. But just think of all the overblown attention you will get from surviving the GREAT PANDEMIC.
Old March 15th, 2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh

Rolling In The Carolinas is postponed!!!!!!!! Air BnB and airlines have been good so far about giving refunds.
Two of the three local rinks near me closed (we're pretty rural, upstate NY). Since I'm not immunocompromised, I have been skating and doing good hand hygiene, no hugging. The rink was relatively empty, but I still looked around and said to myself, "Do we all have a secret death wish???" Yikes.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:28 AM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Rolling In The Carolinas is postponed!!!!!!!! Air BnB and airlines have been good so far about giving refunds.
Two of the three local rinks near me closed (we're pretty rural, upstate NY). Since I'm not immunocompromised, I have been skating and doing good hand hygiene, no hugging. The rink was relatively empty, but I still looked around and said to myself, "Do we all have a secret death wish???" Yikes.
I'm pretty much expecting the same thing this week. The HEB market, our main grocery store cut hours to 8 to 8. I guess folks who shop from 8 to midnight are more contagious. Texas has 27 cases of the illness, and only ONE in my county. I skated this past Wednesday and drank from the water fountain without a worry. The crowd was medium heavy, which is actually normal. Used to be stinking heavy was the norm. But that was a year ago.
Old March 16th, 2020, 12:43 PM   #9
jbgerman

I wouldn't be bet on Soul Skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2020, 08:32 PM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Well, the mayor is dropping the hammer on walk in restaurants and bars, so the rink will likely be closed. Gyms are closed too. Ha ha, got my Airdyne in the den. So I get to keep working out.
Old March 17th, 2020, 05:04 AM   #11
Nostalgic

Moonlight Rollerway in Glendale posted to Facebook that they are closed by order of the Los Angeles County Health Department. Now the question is how many rinks will go under due to the loss of revenue?
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2020, 05:16 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Moonlight Rollerway in Glendale posted to Facebook that they are closed by order of the Los Angeles County Health Department. Now the question is how many rinks will go under due to the loss of revenue?
Interesting note, while there were a lot of cases in the SF area, there were none in LA county as of Sunday. But, with as large, as busy, and as many people are in LA, there has to be some cases.
Old March 17th, 2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Interesting note, while there were a lot of cases in the SF area, there were none in LA county as of Sunday. But, with as large, as busy, and as many people are in LA, there has to be some cases.

Maybe, but not necessarily since the rate of contagion is very low. It has been said that for some the symptoms are so trivial that they may not even realize that they have it so we may never know how many have it.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Maybe, but not necessarily since the rate of contagion is very low. It has been said that for some the symptoms are so trivial that they may not even realize that they have it so we may never know how many have it.
And..... yep. Wednesday skate is cancelled. No notice at a different rink.

FINALLY found a reason why all the drama. This wave of the virus is not bad. Not too contagious, not bad symptoms, unless you are old or otherwise compromised. But it is of a family of virus that tend to mutate. It is the possible 2nd wave that they are afraid of.
Old March 18th, 2020, 12:49 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

It's important everyone's on the same page here, being in denial is going to spread this pandemic, I urge everyone to open this link and start the video, it shows world cases in a timeline.

https://www.healthmap.org/covid-19/

Downplaying it because of bad intelligence and or making up conspiracy theories isn't going to help others.
Let's back up and look at the problem the cause of why we are so slow to react.

In every outbreak, some people are more susceptible than others. The current coronavirus pandemic preys on the elderly, for instance, and on people with underlying ailments. But in the United States, poll after poll shows the virus has found a population that’s particularly likely, through nonchalance and neglect, to help it spread. That population is Republicans.

Republicans don’t deserve collective blame. But in an epidemic, it’s important to confront the most efficient routes of transmission. In this case, the attitudes and behaviors likely to spread the virus are more prevalent in the GOP, and they need to be addressed by politicians and media organizations with conservative audiences.

Public opinion is shifting as the crisis mounts, so questions asked a week ago would get different answers today. But one pattern has persisted: In every poll, Republicans have expressed far less concern about the virus than Democrats have. Last week, 55 percent of Republicans, compared with 25 percent of Democrats, said they didn’t worry much about it. Forty-eight percent of Republicans, versus 18 percent of Democrats, expressed little or no concern “about a coronavirus epidemic here in the United States.” Sixty-three percent of Republicans, as opposed to 31 percent of Democrats, said they were similarly unconcerned “that you or someone you know will be infected.”

This isn't about blame, it's about reality, watch the video again, tomorrow there will be 10%+ more cases in the world.

In the countries not reacting properly, so far as an example Italy population 50 million, they are coping with 345 deaths, YESTERDAY, and they are months away from getting ahead of the virus, that's the US in one week multiplied by 8.

If the moderators aren't going to start moderating the misinformation, the Earth2 content, then they should shut down the offtopic forum immediately, it's one thing to spring out conspiracy theories about Trump and Russia, it another thing entirely concerning a world pandemic.

This can't be hidden by religion, this isn't fake, it's not something someone can PRAY away, pretending (RELIGION) putting one's head in the sand will cost many lives, stop spreading the stupid and thereby the virus.

And here's the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7_t2Ri2Zg
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2020, 07:21 PM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
If the moderators aren't going to start moderating the misinformation
LOL How would the moderators KNOW what is misinformation or not?

In one report we see them say the symptoms are mild, some don't even know they have it, it is not especially contagious, and only 3% die.
Then in another report you see, PEOPLE ARE DYING. We don't have enough ventilators.... the hospitals are swamped.

??? Are they talking about the same thing?

You are trying to say I am against the recommendations. I am not. I have and will continue to follow them.

But there is quite a strong fishy smell in the air. The stories aren't adding up.
Old March 18th, 2020, 11:41 PM   #17
zebra1922

Quote:
LOL How would the moderators KNOW what is misinformation or not?
By dealing with information from robust sources and not the crap you usually rely on.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2020, 03:02 AM   #18
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
By dealing with information from robust sources and not the crap you usually rely on.
Robust sources have been 90% cr*p since Trump was elected.
And much of what I find curious IS from "robust sources".
Old March 19th, 2020, 10:49 AM   #19
ursle
Street Skater

Honestly, stop this forum, disinformation is actually taking lives
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #20
fierocious1

Quote:
Robust sources have been 90% cr*p since Trump was elected.
And much of what I find curious IS from "robust sources".
Some people like to drink from a septic tank , not a well. There has been a huge amount of false information passed off to their minions on the left. Trump complained about it but it doesn't stop.