S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2020, 07:37 PM   #1
fitnessskater
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Default Looking for info on adult push scooters

(mods if this belongs in OT, please move it)

Trying to get back into exercise. Dropped 50#.

Love, love, to blade. But don't feel safe after 2 dislocated shoulders in last 5 years.

Had an old push scooter (K2 but like a Razor). Trying it out for the first time. Gives me more glute/core work than biking or walking (my other exercise modes).

Looking for any info on adult scootering for fitness. (I am 54, not a spring thing.) Forums, type, safety, overuse injuries, etc.

Oh...and do the skaters hate scooters how the sk8ers hate scooters.

P.s. I know it looks uncool but I feel myself building Jane Fonda buns of steel.
fitnessskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:18 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessskater View Post
(mods if this belongs in OT, please move it)

Trying to get back into exercise. Dropped 50#.

Love, love, to blade. But don't feel safe after 2 dislocated shoulders in last 5 years.

Had an old push scooter (K2 but like a Razor). Trying it out for the first time. Gives me more glute/core work than biking or walking (my other exercise modes).

Looking for any info on adult scootering for fitness. (I am 54, not a spring thing.) Forums, type, safety, overuse injuries, etc.

Oh...and do the skaters hate scooters how the sk8ers hate scooters.

P.s. I know it looks uncool but I feel myself building Jane Fonda buns of steel.
50 lbs is a significant amount. And, you already have some injury history. I would suggest something with the lowest chance of injury, and significant setbacks to your goals. Something like an Airdyne, eliptical, or that Bowflex stairclimber/eliptical. I did a post in the skatelog replacement, SkateDebate, about getting away from biking as my get in shape exercise, to an airdyne. The bike worked nice, so long as the weather cooperated. Then when there was too much rain, the trail gets closed. Now I do my airdyne workout, so that when skating day comes along, I ALREADY paid my fitness dues, and can just enjoy the skate.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:31 AM   #3
fitnessskater
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Default

thanks kindly. Do you have a link to that discussion?

I really want to be outdoors. So a stationary bike no good. But maybe an elliptigo? You go slower, I think (donno). It is standing unlike biking. I find the benefit of the kick scooter is much slower than blading...more inefficient essentially. So less fall at high speeds danger. I am cautious around hills though.

Biking has some danger also, but I somehow don't think I would fall the same way (arms over head) as a forward fall blading.
fitnessskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:38 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessskater View Post
thanks kindly. Do you have a link to that discussion?

I really want to be outdoors. So a stationary bike no good. But maybe an elliptigo? You go slower, I think (donno). It is standing unlike biking. I find the benefit of the kick scooter is much slower than blading...more inefficient essentially. So less fall at high speeds danger. I am cautious around hills though.

Biking has some danger also, but I somehow don't think I would fall the same way (arms over head) as a forward fall blading.
http://skatedebate.com/index.php?p=/...skating#latest

There ^ is the link. One bit of wisdom you'll find in my write up is, last year I got in nice shape after nearly having a heart attack. But when the weather prevented my rides, well, I lost a lot of fitness ground. Having something, like an airdyne, is good because it is weather proof. It is also shorter, though harder, to do. Given your age and weight, I am 58, keeping fit is pretty important. Being able to get at it regardless the weather will keep you in shape year round. Not that getting outside is bad. I LOVE it. My bike trail ROCKS. I'm just not going to let myself fall into the trap of using outside exercise as my only get in shape tool.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:03 PM   #5
fitnessskater
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
http://skatedebate.com/index.php?p=/...skating#latest

There ^ is the link. One bit of wisdom you'll find in my write up is, last year I got in nice shape after nearly having a heart attack. But when the weather prevented my rides, well, I lost a lot of fitness ground. Having something, like an airdyne, is good because it is weather proof. It is also shorter, though harder, to do. Given your age and weight, I am 58, keeping fit is pretty important. Being able to get at it regardless the weather will keep you in shape year round. Not that getting outside is bad. I LOVE it. My bike trail ROCKS. I'm just not going to let myself fall into the trap of using outside exercise as my only get in shape tool.
TY for link. I just walk if it's raining.
fitnessskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2020, 08:06 PM   #6
slowsk8
Senior Member
 
slowsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tukwila, just south of Seattle
Posts: 1,631
Default

Try this https://www.bing.com/shop?q=adult+la...A47AA8A2C1A9E4 hope the link works.
If not just goggle big wheel scoters for adults.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 04:15 AM   #7
ese002
Senior Member
 
ese002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 503
Default

This a Hudora 205 I bought in 2007. I have mostly used it for short hops at lunch time. Scooters cut out the gear up time needed to skate and the parking time needing to bike.

I've used it for longer workouts when I was recovering from an injury and not yet confident to skate. It does get the heart going, though the asymmetry is annoying. I have to stop periodically to switch feet. The "right" way to do this is to momentarily put both feet on the platform but that is impossible for me as the platform is only barely big enough for one of my 13US feet. Most scooters I couldn't use at all because the platform maxes out at about size 10. The Hundora also has a higher weight capacity than the razors all while being quite a lot cheaper than high end adult scooters.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.