S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 3rd, 2020, 04:38 PM   #1
Skating_Bob

Smile Adjustable skates vs used skates in incremental sizing?

Greetings All!

My kids (5 & 6) have expressed interest in inline speed skating - Assuming they get to the point where their current inlines are hampering their progression - would it be a better ideal to get two pairs of adjustable skates (Atom Pro Kids or maybe Luigino Mini Challenge) vs 4-5 pairs of used boots of incremental sizes?

I would imagine for the smaller kid, it'll probably be better to transition from rec inlines with a smaller wheel (80-84mm) instead of the stock 100mm wheels that the Atom & Luigino come with...if doing that it may be better to start with a shorter frame (something made of 90mm or less)?

Finding boots in sizes 10j, 11j, 12j, & 13j seem pretty rare? Even more rare small frames in that fit them (150-165mm, under 10")? The Atom Pro kids start at 11j (adjusts from 11j - 1)

Looking forward to your inputs!

Thanks!
Skating_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh

Hi Bob. First let me say that those tiny speed boots are adorable! I didn't even know they made speed boots that small. I think it's great your kids are interested and your'e supporting it. Good job dad!
(Also I didn't realize I was in the Speed Skating Thread:roll eyes)

Both of the boots you mention look amazing and very reputable. I would recommend you go with those and yes in the adjustable sizes. They make amazingly good adjustable boots these days.

The Luigino Mini Challenge appears to have more options regarding plate and wheel sizes. I was looking at this link. But it looks like that's for the bigger kid. https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Luig...ge-LMCS17.html

The Atom Pro might be more appropriate for the smaller guy (smaller size). Here's a thought... You could just put smaller wheels on that skate. It would be easy to put a 90mm wheel on those and he'd start getting used to the larger plate and eventually could work his way up to the 100mm wheel.

Good luck!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2020, 06:16 PM   #3
shesk8

The kids adjustables' are a brilliant solution for young skaters. The adjustments provide the ability to get the boot to fit snug, and there is no contending with over-sizing kids, in boots too big - which leads to less control due to the sloppy fit of a larger boot as their feet are growing.

I agree with you keeping them on smaller wheels for starting, less height equates to better balance, by maintaining a lower center of gravity, and gives them much control over the skates, also lightens their load. As they progress thru the size ranges in adjustable skates up the wheel sizes according to their skills.

Happy Rolling!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Skating_Bob

Default Thanks for the replies!

A quick chat with Rich from NettRacing.com brought up one other thing to consider about adjustable skates - If we were to get a skate that could be adjusted from 2 - 5, the skate would adjust lengthwise but not width...so if set to a size 2, it would have the length of a size 2, but the width of a 5....

Shortly after that chat, I got lucky and found Luigino Struts sz1 and sz2 off ebay....now just need to find 13 and 12 ... and possibly 11.....
Skating_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote