S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 29th, 2020, 04:36 PM   #61
FlailingLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Here is one I did where I added a strip of canvas to the outside of the boot to reinforce it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000401564970

Glue was smeared on the boot where the canvas was being applied and also on 1 side of the canvas so it could really be bonded into the fibers of the material. The boots surfaces were prepped as well. Then pressed onto the boot like paper mache, laced up tightly and allowed to dry.
Just got a strip of zero stretch black duck cloth from Joann fabric. Hope I dont eff this up, Id like a permanent fix.

Also ordered the white trucks and inserts, and purple super cushions.

I am buying nothing else skating related until Im good enough to warrant Scott Corey wheels.
FlailingLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2020, 05:23 PM   #62
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailingLlama View Post
Just got a strip of zero stretch black duck cloth from Joann fabric. Hope I dont eff this up, Id like a permanent fix.

Also ordered the white trucks and inserts, and purple super cushions.

I am buying nothing else skating related until Im good enough to warrant Scott Corey wheels.
Lol, you'll be fine.

Take the insole out and make sure that the boots quarter panels ad bottom under the insole are also secure to one another while you're at it.

Make sure there are no areas that are breaking free from the boot.

I typically remove the entire boot from the sole and inspect everything. It's best to do it before it comes apart, so if there are structural flaws you can address them while they arent bad.

If you need any help at all just hit me up on facebook messenger. I'd be happy to assist.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:37 PM   #63
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Testing a pair of 688 hybrid ceramic bearings that have 11 ball compliment.

Normally they have 9 ball compliment, which usually lasts about 2 years for good bearings. Recently Bont sent me some 688" swiss" and instead of 9 balls like they were supposed to habe. They had 7. They died... quickly. Maybe 15 hours of skating to failure? Really only about 1 hour of hard use..

Right now it's on a more friendly environment. Currently on a kingpin plate I use, A snyder royal. Once I remount my Arius onto a Solaris, the abuse will really start.

I'm hopeful that the additional 2 balls will subdue the loads enough so the balls wont break/fracture. I dont know if they are HIP formed or not though, and I dont know their grade either. But generally speaking their surface finish is always better than steel.

If it survives 3 months I'll buy a full set.
Old March 4th, 2020, 04:07 AM   #64
FlailingLlama

Quote:
Testing a pair of 688 hybrid ceramic bearings that have 11 ball compliment.

Normally they have 9 ball compliment, which usually lasts about 2 years for good bearings. Recently Bont sent me some 688" swiss" and instead of 9 balls like they were supposed to habe. They had 7. They died... quickly. Maybe 15 hours of skating to failure? Really only about 1 hour of hard use..

Right now it's on a more friendly environment. Currently on a kingpin plate I use, A snyder royal. Once I remount my Arius onto a Solaris, the abuse will really start.

I'm hopeful that the additional 2 balls will subdue the loads enough so the balls wont break/fracture. I dont know if they are HIP formed or not though, and I dont know their grade either. But generally speaking their surface finish is always better than steel.

If it survives 3 months I'll buy a full set.
Have you tested hybrid 688 bearings in the past? or just steel ball? I'd imagine these smaller bearings fail because of the race channel depth, and an inability to deal with axial loads. There is a type of bearing called "angular contact" that is designed to cope with much higher axial loads than the traditional ball bearings skates use. I'd be curious to see a full ceramic angular contact micro bearing.

What type of ceramic balls do your 11 ball bearings use? Zirconia Oxide (the white) has a decently higher crack resistance than the Silicon Nitride (dark grey)

This is an 8mm angular contact skate bearing https://www.vxb.com/708C-Angular-Con...p/kit14249.htm haven't found sealed bearings in this size yet.
Old March 4th, 2020, 06:48 AM   #65
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Have you tested hybrid 688 bearings in the past? or just steel ball? I'd imagine these smaller bearings fail because of the race channel depth, and an inability to deal with axial loads. There is a type of bearing called "angular contact" that is designed to cope with much higher axial loads than the traditional ball bearings skates use. I'd be curious to see a full ceramic angular contact micro bearing.

What type of ceramic balls do your 11 ball bearings use? Zirconia Oxide (the white) has a decently higher crack resistance than the Silicon Nitride (dark grey)

This is an 8mm angular contact skate bearing https://www.vxb.com/708C-Angular-Con...p/kit14249.htm haven't found sealed bearings in this size yet.
Angular contact bearings are rather expensive even for low end ones. I'd like to test that some day. But I never found any in micro size that fit the dimensions needed.

At some point I'll get 8 708A bearings and set them up in a skate.

The bearings I'm testing have Silicon nitride balls.
Old March 4th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #66
FlailingLlama

Quote:
Angular contact bearings are rather expensive even for low end ones. I'd like to test that some day. But I never found any in micro size that fit the dimensions needed.

At some point I'll get 8 708A bearings and set them up in a skate.

The bearings I'm testing have Silicon nitride balls.
Im guessing the really hard stops and skids you do is the most axial force a skate bearing could sustain, so thats why you are a good tester for strength/longevity of a bearing?

I dont know the physics calculations, but it would be interesting to find out the force difference between a big air park jump landing, and a slip stick friction skid on a bearing, then compare that to calculations in a modelling software for material limits for a bearing.

Im hoping those micro bearings work out, i REALLY like Scotts phantom wheels.
Old March 5th, 2020, 06:49 PM   #67
Tislord

Lots of good info from all sides here. Thanks to everyone.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2020, 05:00 AM   #68
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Im guessing the really hard stops and skids you do is the most axial force a skate bearing could sustain, so thats why you are a good tester for strength/longevity of a bearing?

Yea, the wheels get hammered pretty bad during hockey slides. The more room there is (clearance) between the parts, mostly axle OD to bearing ID being the problem, the more time the wheel has to accelerate within its clearances. So most likely the 7.88 OD of the SGA1 axles I have in my trucks are also causing the wear issues. Before it was a tighter clearance at the truck face 7.94mm, and 7.5 ish at the end of the truck shoulder. While getting new axles with a longer shoulder length fixed the alignment of the 2 bearings, the reduced OD of the new axles kept the play on the shaft pretty much the same. Grip improved because they were held in the same plane, but not by much.

I dont know the physics calculations, but it would be interesting to find out the force difference between a big air park jump landing, and a slip stick friction skid on a bearing, then compare that to calculations in a modelling software for material limits for a bearing.

Im hoping those micro bearings work out, i REALLY like Scotts phantom wheels.
Another issue is that bearing bore imperfections are a problem. This is exponential with micros since they have such a small window to deal with imperfections by using increased radial and axial clearances. If a bearing bore isn't perfect, it will cause drag and reduced bearing life.

I can hold my wheels in hand and spin them with new bearings and feel the difference in the seat width/bores and there is a small wobble as the wheels rotate. Not something I find appealing for a product that costs 180$ msrp.

Last edited by Mort; March 6th, 2020 at 06:12 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2020, 06:34 PM   #69
shesk8

There are a number of companies that make full ceramic bearings, not sure as to why isolate the discussion to one particular company.

But, a simple and short answer to your Q is this:
ILQ makes a BCB bearing, and though hybrid, they come with life long warranty... you'll never need to sink $$ into another set of ceramic bearings. Kind of hard for other companies to match that level of ILQ quality and service, imo.

The level of performance between the various ceramic bearings in application of skating (full ceramic versus hybrid ceramic steel chase, ceramic balls) is more/less negligible, wheel compounds play a far larger roll in achieved speed. Think back to when Eddy was winning races on twincam 5's... yup.

Keeping the bearings clean from grit, and/or scratching of the chase, that can degrade their performance, is a challenge skaters face, depending on the areas they are skating (outdoors, indoors); all are subject to dirt, dust, and debris build up. To combat those aspects of bearing performance, Ionic Flux came out with a high quality proprietary lube, in 3 difference formulas, pretty impressive stuff that extends the life of bearings by self-polishing, and protecting against wear and corrosion.

Roll On!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote