S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #101
Gordy
Gordy from Boston

Default Batley

I got one for ya..

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/66710094.jpg

Took a trip round UK and europe a "few" years back. Brought skates, Of course. Best one in the UK we skated in was in Cochester. Outstanding place, huge floor, really great decor and atmosphere. Dont know if its still there.
Gordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKeeper_CYMRU View Post
Are you interested in some history from the UK?

If so, here is a link to a book published recently on Roller Skating in Plymouth, Devon, UK 1874~1989 http://www.brsf.co.uk#20080402

Enjoy.

John
South West Wales, UK.
http://www.brsf.co.uk
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #102
Gordy
Gordy from Boston

Default Babbs

Do yourself a favor and drive over to Babbs in Southwick Ma.
This rink is like no other. It isnt open, they are restoring it, it had a bandshell, an amazing roof, too much to list really.. and gorgeous countryside.

www.babbsrink.org

I worked for a messnger co for many years in Boston, and I beleive I saw every rink within a 6 hour radius.. most are gone though.

I am compiling a list of every rink I saw or skated-- why? well I'm getting old I guess..

Gordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
The other day I decided to wander around Northern Mass. looking for rinks. I had a list of them, and programed the GPS and off I went.. But I decided to change vehicles and when I grabbed the second vehicle I left the directions to the other rinks inside the first vehicle.. I know I know Drainbramage, Old Age???

I found Skateland in Bradford, (Haverhill), as I already had it programed into the GPS.. The rink was closed, but I got the schedule and I now know where it is.. No easy task given the roads in Mass. Yeeks... But then I discovered my mistake, I managed to find Beverly, Mass. and I actually found Sohier Road, but I couldn't remember the addess, and again the roads in Mass. made simply wandering along the street all but impossible

But sometime in January when I get my skates back from Michigan, I'll find my way to the Roller Place in Beverly, on a Thursday evening and have some fun???

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #103
Gordy
Gordy from Boston

Default Yep

I skated there on a rounfd the country trip in Aug 1989. I have a flyer for it I think. Really nice Rink, sorry to hear its gone.

Gordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateway View Post
Does anyone remember the old roller rink in Olympia, Washington? It was called the Patterson Lake roller rink, and it was owned by the Suess family. I lived not too far from that rink, and it was my home away from home.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #104
zinski
Junior Mint

Talking

hey brikee i didnt see roller world on there, in wharton new jersey, my wife and i had our first date there in 84 we were in fifth grade! we wound up finding each other again in 92! but that was a nice big wooden rink that closed around 88 and reopened as wheels in motion in 93 and then that closed shortly after......but that was a fun rink!!!!
zinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #105
bootskate

Rainbow roller rink in Chicago, north side on Clark and Lawrence. Closed down a few years back 3-4-5 yrs or so. When they tore it down they found dead bodies in the basement floors.
bootskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #106
Hank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANDLECHIC View Post
Ever been in JOhnstown? My family /entirely is from there ...still lives there.
I have skated at the Johnstown skateland a few times in my hayday ( turning 33) this year ......so I know Im a youngin 'lol

Hi CANDELCHIC:
I see you've been to Skateland in Johnstown, PA. That used to be one of my later-teen days hangouts (when I got my car and could travel to J-Town from Colver), around 1978-1979. Its long been closed down now, I don't know when it closed. Last time I saw the place was 1985, still the same as it was in the late 70s.

I still have a bunch of old photos from Skateland that I"ve been scanning (some 110 prints and negatives from 1978-9 and some 35mm shots from 1981-82 (I was overseas with the USMC in 1980).

By chance CANDLECHIC, do you know when Skateland closed down and why it closed down? I would like to know if possible. Haven't been able to locate any news article or public record online on the matter.

UPDATE, 29 Jan 09: Got a reply from the Cambria County Historical Society. Apparently Skateland closed somewhere around 1995. There was a phone listing for Skateland in the 1993-1994 Johnstown phone book but that listing had disappeared in the 1995-1996 edition.

Last edited by Hank the Tank; January 28th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Hank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #107
Hank the Tank

Default Hank's Roller Rink Memories

Good Evening everyone. Sitting out here in the middle of a Texas desert nowhere, near the Mexico border. Thought I'd post some rinks that I have wonderful memories from my youth.

First, I'd like to add two rinks to the Closed list that I have lots of memories from:

1. Cicero's Roller Rink, Ebensburg PA:
This place was my early-mid teens hangout but I had been there as early as age 6. The place was pretty old, I think it was built in the 1940s or so. I remember seeing older folks there doing those skate waltzes to organ music when I was young. In fact Mrs. Cicero kept the old organ music going even in the rockin 1970s (interspersing organ solos with the rock n roll (or disco)) of the day.
I don't know exactly when Cicero's closed, my last visit there was 1978 though it was still there in the mid-1980s. When my great-grandmother passed away at age 96 in 1992, I went by the location but the rink had been replaced with what appeared to be some sort of strip mall. I'm guessing that sometime between 1985 and 1992, Mrs. Cicero passed on and the rink went with her. God Bless her (and her husband who are probably waltzing away on skates in Heaven).
As a teen boy my main reason for going to Cicero's, of course girls. Got lotsa stories to tell but I won't bore you all right here. Since I didn't yet have a car of my own, that was my weekend hangout from age 15-17.
UPDATE, 01/27/09: Just received word from the Cambria County Historical Society that Cicero's had closed in 1989, about 11 years after my last visit to that rink. CCHS didn't know the reason.

2. Skateland, Johnstown, PA.
In the later 1970s when I got my car, I moved my skating to Skateland in Johnstown which I think opened in 1975. I started skating there in late 1978 and it pretty much became my hangout until April 1979 when I went to USMC boot camp. But of course I would return when I was home on leave (Christmas 1979 and in March 1980). This was right about the time Disco flamed out. The only effect on Skateland was a lot less disco music, in fact they kept a pretty good musical mix.

And those romantic memories, I met some very fine ladies, one (Leslie) whom I came close to marrying (met her at Skateland in 1982, started dating. I was stationed 3 hours away in Quantico, VA at the time).

In regards to both rinks, I might try the Cambria County Historical Society and see if they might know when these places closed and why. I'll post the results if any.

I'm guessing that the owner of Skateland, Mr. Strayer (I think that was his name) passed on or became unable to run the place.

I don't have any photos from Cicero's (never thought to take my camera, wish I had) but I still have a decent number of 110 and Kodak Instant photos from Skateland (some I still have the negatives for and have already scanned them in with my Nikon film scanner). Once I get them all scanned, I'll get them up on Photobucket.

UPDATE, 01/27/09: Again from Cambria County Historical Society, Skateland apparently closed sometime around 1994-1995. They found a phone listing for Skateland in the 1993-1994 Johnstown phone book but it was not there for the 1995-1996 book.
UPDATE, 15 May 2010: OK over the Internet (on the Johnstown Tribue Democrat website), I came across some article which indicated the old Skateland building was used as a storage facility until a fire destroyed the building, sometime in 2003 I believe.
Johnstown Tribune-Democrat Article
Also just found this article about the owner, James Strayer. Apparently he is still alive, though sadly his wife just passed away on May 2nd of this year.
Article on Marjorie Strayer

===================================================
Other Rinks I've been to (even if only once):

Skateland, Ocean City, MD:
There was also a then-new rink in Ocean City, MD called Skateland. I happened to be there for opening night in May 1977 as my then-usual misbehaving, girl-chasing self. I don't know if it is still there but boy was that some fun night in Ocean City to go with the fun times at the beach.

Roller City 2001, Riverside, CA:
One of my hangout rinks that was still open as of July 2006 is Roller City 2001 which opened in Oct 1979 in Riverside, CA. During 1979 and early 1980, that place was my weekend hangout. Had to drive the 150 miles or so to get to Riverside from the USMC base at 29 Palms, CA. Disco was still going at that time but at age 19 I wasn't able to get into any clubs or drink so it was either the base E-Club or Roller City. I preferred Roller City by far.

In July 2006 after a 26 year absence, I got out to California with my wife and took her to Roller City 2001 (it was still called that, even in 2006). Twenty six years of wear & tear took its toll on the rink and building. The once super-smooth floor was now bumpy as heck (they planned a resurface in the fall). There was once a computerized light wall (one whole wall of the rink was lights, like the underlit dance floors from discos of the day) however it was no longer functional. Half the lights were no longer working.
The fact that RC2001 was still there was a testament to the owners who were weathering hard times.

I still have some old 110 shots from Roller City (this was right before I went to 35mm) when I took my camera. Unfortunately all I have left is mostly prints, the negatives are long gone with the exception of about 3 strips which I've already scanned (at 4000 ppi). The Kodak 400 film of the day (1980) was pretty crappy image-wise. Too blasted grainy. But they're better than nothing.
The original prints had significant color fading (to a reddish-brown hue). In 2003, I scanned all those prints and color-corrected them as best I could in Photoshop. A lot better than they were for sure.
In 2006 I did have my digital SLR with me at RC2001, but the owner (Mr. Chado) was no longer allowing photography inside the rink. He said I could photograph the outside (which I did), and the inside after everyone had left for the night. Unfortunately we couldn't stay that long so I had to settle for outside-only shots (a few of those are on our MySpace page).

UPDATE, 28 Jan 09: I'm happy to report here that Roller City 2001 is still alive and going strong. They finally got around to setting up a web page.
I don't know if they went forward with the floor resurfacing (hopefully they did) and I'd love to see some technological updates installed as well.
Web Page: Roller City 2001

Rocky's Roller Skating Center, Tallmadge, OH (still open apparently):
In 1984, along with some TKE fraternity brothers, I checked out this place and ended up going a couple more times to kinda relive the skating days and get back into some practice. I was in my early 20s so I didn't "hang out" at Rocky's. Too busy with college homework and had pretty much moved on in my social life. But I did enjoy the visit, even took my 11 year old niece (and a few friends) once for her birthday in 1987. They had a real nice party for the kids.

Last edited by Hank the Tank; May 16th, 2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Update
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #108
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Bojangles in Snellville GA. Closed now a u-haul. It was awsome! Probably the smallest rink ever built! But man was it packed! hotties everywhere :-)

The Skate Place in Lawrenceville GA. Sold out, now Sparkles. Worked there forever about a year after it opened. HUGE floor, really fast. Hurt really bad when you fell! (it was orange Rink Coat) Had a big DJ booth with a rounded glass front, you could request anything and he would play it. The DJ's name was Tommy Crook, aka " The Bandit" Never a dull moment. Owners name was Chris Reynolds. manager was David Deere.

Sparkles in Marietta GA. Closed went about once a month, huge floor, huge practice rink also.

Plantation in Clarkston GA. Closed now a church. This was the mecca for Rock-n-Roll type rinks. Nothing but rocker chicks and guys with chain wallets and mullets. Everyone that was someone wore Riedell 122's I think (the ones with 2 white stripes) and rolled on Red 8's or satin rolls. They did a nightly skate called the " Alabama Special " Usually to Rock-and Roll part 2 ! It was good times!
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #109
JAMSKATER
SKATE SHOP

Cool Palisades Gardens

I started my rollerskating addiction in elementary school in 1965 at the old Palisades Gardens roller rink in San Diego, CA. There was a popular song on the radio back then on KGB AM about a roller rink by the name of Palisades Gardens. Does anybody remember it. I don't know if it was about this particular Palisades Gardens but I guess one can only dream.

Below is a picture of the rink from the early 1960's. As you can see there is a "float" passing by the front of the rink. This would have been taken during the the holidays (Thanksgiving me thinks) as they had a parade down that main street every year. I was skating at that rink on one particular Saturday when the parade came into town. I was sitting at the snack bar which faces the street eating my usual french fries smoothered in Ketchup when the parade came by. On one of the floats was one of my favorite actors from my favorite television series at the time. Billy Mumy from "Lost In Space." Anybody remember him or that series. I used to watch it every Saturday morning just before my dad dropped me off at the skating rink. Ahhhh, the memories.

Peace,
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #110
Hank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfboyfl View Post
We had a few rinks in our area when I was growing up. The main one I went to was Starlite Skate Center in Merritt Island which was just a mile away from my house...basically grew up in that place. I remember getting there on Saturday mornings and staying until 11:30 at night almost every week. The guy who ran the place would let us rink rats stay in the rink and skate in between sessions if we would help put up rentals, sweep floors, etc. Starlite became a place called Colorz in the mid 90's I believe and then closed a few years ago...breaks my heart everytime I drive by the boarded up building.

We also had a rink in Melbourne called Galaxy that I believe is still open and of course both Semoran and Universal in Orlando which is where I go now!
Hi golfboy. Wow talk about close, I live in Merritt Island. Although I never skated there, I go by the old Colorz building myself and remember when it was open a few years ago. I don't know why it closed seeing how long it stayed open but I'd guess the owner could no longer maintain or run it (like happened with two rinks up in Penna. where I used to skate as a teenager.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #111
zinski
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the Tank View Post
Good Evening everyone. Sitting out here in the middle of a Texas desert nowhere, near the Mexico border. Thought I'd post some rinks that I have wonderful memories from my youth.

First, I'd like to add two rinks to the Closed list that I have lots of memories from:

1. Cicero's Roller Rink, Ebensburg PA:
This place was my early-mid teens hangout but I had been there as early as age 6. The place was pretty old, I think it was built in the 1940s or so. I remember seeing older folks there doing those skate waltzes to organ music when I was young. In fact Mrs. Cicero kept the old organ music going even in the rockin 1970s (interspersing organ solos with the rock n roll (or disco)) of the day.
I don't know exactly when Cicero's closed, my last visit there was 1978 though it was still there in the mid-1980s. When my great-grandmother passed away at age 96 in 1992, I went by the location but the rink had been replaced with what appeared to be some sort of strip mall. I'm guessing that sometime between 1985 and 1992, Mrs. Cicero passed on and the rink went with her. God Bless her (and her husband who are probably waltzing away on skates in Heaven).
As a teen boy my main reason for going to Cicero's, of course girls. Got lotsa stories to tell but I won't bore you all right here. Since I didn't yet have a car of my own, that was my weekend hangout from age 15-17.
UPDATE, 01/27/09: Just received word from the Cambria County Historical Society that Cicero's had closed in 1989, about 11 years after my last visit to that rink. CCHS didn't know the reason.

2. Skateland, Johnstown, PA.
In the later 1970s when I got my car, I moved my skating to Skateland in Johnstown which I think opened in 1975. I started skating there in late 1978 and it pretty much became my hangout until April 1979 when I went to USMC boot camp. But of course I would return when I was home on leave (Christmas 1979 and in March 1980). This was right about the time Disco flamed out. The only effect on Skateland was a lot less disco music, in fact they kept a pretty good musical mix.

And those romantic memories, I met some very fine ladies, one (Leslie) whom I came close to marrying (met her at Skateland in 1982, started dating. I was stationed 3 hours away in Quantico, VA at the time).

In regards to both rinks, I might try the Cambria County Historical Society and see if they might know when these places closed and why. I'll post the results if any.

I'm guessing that the owner of Skateland, Mr. Strayer (I think that was his name) passed on or became unable to run the place.

I don't have any photos from Cicero's (never thought to take my camera, wish I had) but I still have a decent number of 110 and Kodak Instant photos from Skateland (some I still have the negatives for and have already scanned them in with my Nikon film scanner). Once I get them all scanned, I'll get them up on Photobucket.

UPDATE, 01/27/09: Again from Cambria County Historical Society, Skateland apparently closed sometime around 1994-1995. They found a phone listing for Skateland in the 1993-1994 Johnstown phone book but it was not there for the 1995-1996 book.

===================================================
Other Rinks I've been to (even if only once):

Skateland, Ocean City, MD:
There was also a then-new rink in Ocean City, MD called Skateland. I happened to be there for opening night in May 1977 as my then-usual misbehaving, girl-chasing self. I don't know if it is still there but boy was that some fun night in Ocean City to go with the fun times at the beach.

Roller City 2001, Riverside, CA:
One of my hangout rinks that was still open as of July 2006 is Roller City 2001 which opened in Oct 1979 in Riverside, CA. During 1979 and early 1980, that place was my weekend hangout. Had to drive the 150 miles or so to get to Riverside from the USMC base at 29 Palms, CA. Disco was still going at that time but at age 19 I wasn't able to get into any clubs or drink so it was either the base E-Club or Roller City. I preferred Roller City by far.

In July 2006 after a 26 year absence, I got out to California with my wife and took her to Roller City 2001 (it was still called that, even in 2006). Twenty six years of wear & tear took its toll on the rink and building. The once super-smooth floor was now bumpy as heck (they planned a resurface in the fall). There was once a computerized light wall (one whole wall of the rink was lights, like the underlit dance floors from discos of the day) however it was no longer functional. Half the lights were no longer working.
The fact that RC2001 was still there was a testament to the owners who were weathering hard times.

I still have some old 110 shots from Roller City (this was right before I went to 35mm) when I took my camera. Unfortunately all I have left is mostly prints, the negatives are long gone with the exception of about 3 strips which I've already scanned (at 4000 ppi). The Kodak 400 film of the day (1980) was pretty crappy image-wise. Too blasted grainy. But they're better than nothing.
The original prints had significant color fading (to a reddish-brown hue). In 2003, I scanned all those prints and color-corrected them as best I could in Photoshop. A lot better than they were for sure.
In 2006 I did have my digital SLR with me at RC2001, but the owner (Mr. Chado) was no longer allowing photography inside the rink. He said I could photograph the outside (which I did), and the inside after everyone had left for the night. Unfortunately we couldn't stay that long so I had to settle for outside-only shots (a few of those are on our MySpace page).

UPDATE, 28 Jan 09: I'm happy to report here that Roller City 2001 is still alive and going strong. They finally got around to setting up a web page.
I don't know if they went forward with the floor resurfacing (hopefully they did) and I'd love to see some technological updates installed as well.
Web Page: Roller City 2001

Rocky's Roller Skating Center, Tallmadge, OH (still open apparently):
In 1984, along with some TKE fraternity brothers, I checked out this place and ended up going a couple more times to kinda relive the skating days and get back into some practice. I was in my early 20s so I didn't "hang out" at Rocky's. Too busy with college homework and had pretty much moved on in my social life. But I did enjoy the visit, even took my 11 year old niece (and a few friends) once for her birthday in 1987. They had a real nice party for the kids.

i notice a few PA. rinks on here. still live nearby?
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #112
Hank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinski View Post
i notice a few PA. rinks on here. still live nearby?

No, nowadays I live in Florida (Cape Canaveral area).
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #113
retread

Hank, you gonna make it to the Extravaganza the week after next?

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #114
ROLLERrewind
Skater/Organist

So many PA folks...should remember ROLLARENA in Unity, Ohio. I first skated there in the early 70's..to Marty at the Organ. As a member of the Cleveland based NIGHTROLLER'S SKATING CLUB, we'd caravan 14 cars out for Saturday Night session.
As I remember, our "FLEA HOP" skating style was well received...and, we learned some things about shuffle skating! I particulary loved the STROBE LIGHT FLEA HOP...kinda suicidal...but a blast!
Marty Dumic was young at the time, maybe early 20's...but, he got my attention!
The rink was torn down some years ago...but, those sessions were some of the best times! Johnny Sharp
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR="Red"][B][I][/I][/B][/COLOR][FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][B][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/B][/I][/FONT]
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]ROLLERrewind/Johnny Sharp
ROLLERrewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #115
TDK

I remember Unity...It burned down and now it's a car lot...
TDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #116
Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterin' gram View Post
Another place I remember was a tiny rink in Maxwell Indiana. I don't remember the name of the place, but they had a concrete floor. I only went there a couple of times, and since I moved out of Indiana 15 years ago, I don't know if it is even still there.
This is the rink that was my "home" rink.I grew up at this rink and was a regular rink rat here throughout my teens while it was Addison's and then became Fleming's in the late 80's.This place had a great group of regulars and very good skaters.Very fond memories.

It is still there.Before I started skating there it was called Golf's or something like that.When I first went it was called Addison's,then was bought by a very nice family and was called Fleming's.It shut down for years and was used for other things.It has recently been "redone" and is now a rink again and called The Blaze.They have a myspace page I believe.It is in Maxwell but uses a Greenfield Indiana address.
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #117
sailcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
Thank you guys hears another one i don't know any thing about this rink but maybe some of you do.

The old owner rebuilt the rink. When he died it was closed. It was reopened with a new owner. http://www.sportsmanshall.com/
sailcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #118
SAGEBRUSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
One of the great ones was SKATE LAND AT THE BEACH many old time skaters still lovingly talk sbout it even though it's been gone for over 30 years, labor day 1971 it must have been a one of a kind experience.both art and session skaters still talk about it.
My wife, only my partner at the time, and I skated there in 1957 , we were skating Nationals at Oakland and went there to practice, I remember it as a very nice rink. Two things I remember were the cigarette machine, made in our home town, Haverhill, MA. a DuGrenier, and they played Old Cape Cod at the session, we later lived there for 32 years. Last time we were in San Francisco there had been built a housing developement where the park and rink stood
SAGEBRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #119
SAGEBRUSH

Default Closed rinks in MA

My wife and I met, skated together and then got married in the 1950's, our rink was Skateland, Haverhill, MA. Skateland has had a couple of other lives, but has been brought back to life by the Pyche family and it is a great facility' Some of the rinks we skated at in those days now all closed I am sure were, Bedford Grove, NH, Wal-lex in Waltham, The Old and Newer Rolland in Norwood, MA, Seaview in Salisbury, Hi Hat in Lowell, Canobie Lake Park in Salen, NH, Maple Arena in Brocton, Bal-a-Roue in Medford, Lincoln Park In North Dartmouth Rialto in Springfield, Revere Arena in Revere.

We got back on the skating scene on the 1980's and became teachers at a rink built for us, Pro Skate in Hyannis, 3 years later that was gone and we moved to in Marshfield Rink, then we were invited to teach at Lincoln Park in North Dartmouth, two years later that was down the tubes and on to Starwheels in Seekonk, MA a beautiful converted ice rink. We retired from teaching there after a couple of years and it closed down shortly after that.

Other rinks I remember that our kids competed in the 1980's now gone Amesbury, Whalon Park Fitchburg, Cape Skate in Hyannis and the Bourne Rink Bourne, Ma,

When we visit Massachusetts in the Fall we visit The Carosel rinks in Fairhaven and Whitman, Ma that the Conways have done a wonderfull job of bringing back to life Silver City in Taunton and the Haverhill Rink. Nice to know that there still a few left that seem to be doing well.

We now reside in SW Florida and there aren't many rinks down here, fortunately Generations is in Fort Myers only ten miles away and we have two artistic sessions in the winter Tuesday and Thursday mornings and one all summer on Thursday morning. HH

I have some old old videos on utube Lincoln Park, Skateland and Bal-a-roue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCF2arBkrg

Last edited by SAGEBRUSH; May 18th, 2009 at 12:56 AM.
SAGEBRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #120
rwsz

sagebrush what a great video. you talk of many rinks that have closed, i have skated at half of them anyhow if not more. i remember when hyannis opened and closed and went there sat nites with my brother in law. also use to skate at the bourne rink, nice and large with a good floor. those were fun days for sure. enjoy