S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #21
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Thats more like it ,And a kangaroo plate to boot.Thats what i learnt on...
Yep. 7" wheelbase on a 13, same as always.
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #22
quantoo

Default I need 1

The Doc says Oh... my typical response?? "I don't need no stinking sk8board to hold myself up." [/B][/QUOTE]

And im not ashamed to admit it.
For me to skate a short forward at my age would be like a handicap.
Better to be safe than broken IMHO.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #23
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
The Doc says Oh... my typical response?? "I don't need no stinking sk8board to hold myself up." [/B]
And im not ashamed to admit it.
For me to skate a short forward at my age would be like a handicap.
Better to be safe than broken IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I don't need a short forward to keep me from relaxing when I want to. If I were racing all the time, and that's all I did, maybe. You can't relax if you have a very short base. Simply the longer base gives a more stable platform. Stand ACROSS a 2x4, then stand ACROSS a 2x6, wider base on the 2x6 gives you more stability and you aren't having to check your balance. You can become used to it over time, true, but the fact remains, less stable. A small base will be always promote less stability, it just depends on whether or not you can or want to live with it. IF the goal by doing this is to make the skate steer faster, there are other ways to do it.
With tuneable, being able to adjust input/output ratios, long plates can steer as well as the short plates can. It also depends on what plates you want to use, non-adjustable ratio plates limit you to going short plate for more response. A person does not have to have an extremely long plate, just have the axles where you like them. Axles set in the rear so you can skate well on the back wheels and the front axle forward so you can push well without feeling like you are tipping too easily. Take the measurement and that is your axle centerline. Then DA45 plates, can be altered to bring the response in line with your desired action..
So.... good responsive steering, stability under all circumstances and relaxing when you need it is what I like.
One of the fastest skaters on the planet skated standard length, forward mounted when he was a quad guy. Very fast but only for racing. Session skating is for fun, keep it fun.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #24
AZSHOT

Reading posts like yours, really makes the decision hard. If I were to weigh maneuverability vs stability, I would favor stability. Because like you say, I'm spending 90% of my time session skating, and certainly not jamming and flopping around on the floor or anything. I want an agile mount, that won't cause me to worry about getting thrown.

I own riding mules. Several years ago I had a beautiful appaloosa molly. She had what we call "power steering", in that the slightest touch of the rein would cause her to respond and turn. Very easy riding mule. But one day after I'd had her about 3 months I was on a rough trail, and swung into the saddle. She bolted, and took off running at a gallop down the ponderosa pine lined trail, with boulders every few feet. I didn't have both stirrups in, and flew off her after about 6 seconds. I missed hitting any trees or rocks, but broke a rib and had a partially collapsed lung. I could have been killed or crippled. I was in severe pain for a week or two. Later, she did another insane move. I decided life was too short to try to "train her better" or whatever all the advisers were telling me. I sold her. I've had 6 other mules through the years that were fine.

That's what I don't want to happen with my next build. Getting hurt just for a little increase in performance.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:41 AM   #25
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Reading posts like yours, really makes the decision hard. If I were to weigh maneuverability vs stability, I would favor stability. Because like you say, I'm spending 90% of my time session skating, and certainly not jamming and flopping around on the floor or anything. I want an agile mount, that won't cause me to worry about getting thrown.

I own riding mules. Several years ago I had a beautiful appaloosa molly. She had what we call "power steering", in that the slightest touch of the rein would cause her to respond and turn. Very easy riding mule. But one day after I'd had her about 3 months I was on a rough trail, and swung into the saddle. She bolted, and took off running at a gallop down the ponderosa pine lined trail, with boulders every few feet. I didn't have both stirrups in, and flew off her after about 6 seconds. I missed hitting any trees or rocks, but broke a rib and had a partially collapsed lung. I could have been killed or crippled. I was in severe pain for a week or two. Later, she did another insane move. I decided life was too short to try to "train her better" or whatever all the advisers were telling me. I sold her. I've had 6 other mules through the years that were fine.

That's what I don't want to happen with my next build. Getting hurt just for a little increase in performance.
I just look for the axles to fall where I like them best, no matter what the spacing is. My plates are a little long but I can skate nicely on the back wheels without having to really put a lot of effort into it. But not so little effort that the skates try to just tip backwards on their own. On the front I like the axle just past the ball about 1/4 inch or so. So the plates come out with what ever length. At present my plates axles centers are 8 inches and I wear a 12/46 Powerslide boot. Not front tippy or rear tippy, just comfortable. Investigate short forward, I did. Borrow some plates and give it a go.

This is just my view of how I like my skates set up. I can tune for more turning by shimming the trucks, thus changing the pivot angle to speed up the steering. Everybody has an opinion, you must find out what your end opinion is so you can be comfortable with your setup.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #26
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
You can't relax if you have a very short base.
Sure you can. I do it all the time. I'm not uptight in the slightest on any of my skates.

Quote:
A small base will be always promote less stability, it just depends on whether or not you can or want to live with it.
No, it depends on whether or not you can master it.

I freely concede that it isn't for everyone, and certainly not as short as I like them, and I don't advocate either. But there are just too many who can and do master it, and for the better.

Quote:
Session skating is for fun, keep it fun.
I do.
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #27
quantoo

Default Go for what suits you best,Only 1 way 2 find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post

I own riding mules. Several years ago I had a beautiful appaloosa molly. She had what we call "power steering", in that the slightest touch of the rein would cause her to respond and turn. Very easy riding mule. But one day after I'd had her about 3 months I was on a rough trail, and swung into the saddle. She bolted, and took off running at a gallop down the ponderosa pine lined trail, with boulders every few feet.
Thats mega impressive having riding mules.always wanted one of those but they are pretty rare/expensive around here.Id settle for a donkey that could pull a jinker.ive worked on a property where the donkeys would call out for their supper.Can you show a pic of one of those mules in th OTS plz would much appreciate it.
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #28
quantoo

[QUOTE=fierocious1;725812]I just look for the axles to fall where I like them best, no matter what the spacing is. My plates are a little long but I can skate nicely on the back wheels without having to really put a lot of effort into it. But not so little effort that the skates try to just tip backwards on their own. On the front I like the axle just past the ball about 1/4 inch or so. So the plates come out with what ever length. At present my plates axles centers are 8 inches and I wear a 12/46 Powerslide boot. Not front tippy or rear tippy, just comfortable. Investigate short forward, I did. Borrow some plates and give it a go.

Mine arent exactly where i want them but im due for new boots soon so the size 7 mags da45s will be moved 3/8 forward on the next boots.
But i have a pair of shorter venus skates that are 3/8 more forward and they are better for speed only.
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #29
AZSHOT

I think I've heard both sides of the argument, thanks. There is not a lot of middle ground, strangely. So now it's time for me to get off the pot, and actually try a somewhat shorter plate. Then I will report back on how it worked out for me.

Boots about to get shipped..... I'll let you know.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #30
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Sure you can. I do it all the time. I'm not uptight in the slightest on any of my skates.

No, it depends on whether or not you can master it.

I freely concede that it isn't for everyone, and certainly not as short as I like them, and I don't advocate either. But there are just too many who can and do master it, and for the better.

I do.
It is mechanically less stable no matter what anyone says. The smaller a contact area to the floor, the less stable and the more you have to adjust for more minute changes in handling.
But if you can master it and like it, job well done. It isn't for everyone. I can skate it, no problem, I tried it and just don't like it. It depends on the person. SF is a matter of taste or opinion or fit for ones purpose.
Not knocking anyone that wants to try it.
I see a lot of SF plates and setups at the rinks all the time, falling to the wayside and getting replaced...
Just like DA45 is not for everyone and is not the end all for everyone's skating, neither is SF.
Anyway give it a shot, you have nothing to lose in finding the perfect skate for you.