S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #1
smooti

Default Not happy with my current wheels- help?

Hello- I'm new here and I'd love some help with picking out some wheels.

I recently got back into skating again and am doing both indoor/outdoor skating. Currently, I have the Jackson Vibe boot and a set of pulse wheels for outdoors, and I am very happy with this set up. I can cruise around the local park, turn forward-to-back and do crossovers just fine.

When I bought my set up, I mentioned to the sales person that for the local rink, I just needed wheels for general recreational skating and she set me up with some Atom Snap wheels. They are fine in the sense that I can get some decent speed and feel comfy rolling around the rink. That said, for whatever reason, I am having trouble getting forward-to-back and have yet to do a crossover. The skates just feel clunky on me and it is like I'm scared my feet will get all tangled up.

With my limited knowledge of wheels and whatnot, I've noticed that the snaps are a bit wider than my pulse wheels and I'm wondering if a thinner and lighter wheel may do the trick. I think that since my most recent skating has been on the ice, that I'm used to a thinner set up.

Now, I'm not made of money, but I'm also in a place where I can afford to purchase a solid set, if it will make things more enjoyable for me. My rink is a coated, wood floor with lots of gunk. My snaps are 91a, and I'm honestly feeling pretty solid with that hardness. I could maybe go a little harder, but don't think I'd enjoy anything too hard.

All that said, I think I've narrowed it down to the Atom Savant (93a) or the Reckless Morph Duel wheels (88a/93a). I'm leaning towards the Morph, since they have that softer edge, which I'm wondering if it will help me feel more stable with crossovers and such.

Any thoughts? Any other wheels that I should consider? My main goals for skating are to have fun, progress in basic skills and not die.

Thanks!
smooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooti View Post
Hello- I'm new here and I'd love some help with picking out some wheels.

I recently got back into skating again and am doing both indoor/outdoor skating. Currently, I have the Jackson Vibe boot and a set of pulse wheels for outdoors, and I am very happy with this set up. I can cruise around the local park, turn forward-to-back and do crossovers just fine.

When I bought my set up, I mentioned to the sales person that for the local rink, I just needed wheels for general recreational skating and she set me up with some Atom Snap wheels. They are fine in the sense that I can get some decent speed and feel comfy rolling around the rink. That said, for whatever reason, I am having trouble getting forward-to-back and have yet to do a crossover. The skates just feel clunky on me and it is like I'm scared my feet will get all tangled up.

With my limited knowledge of wheels and whatnot, I've noticed that the snaps are a bit wider than my pulse wheels and I'm wondering if a thinner and lighter wheel may do the trick. I think that since my most recent skating has been on the ice, that I'm used to a thinner set up.

Now, I'm not made of money, but I'm also in a place where I can afford to purchase a solid set, if it will make things more enjoyable for me. My rink is a coated, wood floor with lots of gunk. My snaps are 91a, and I'm honestly feeling pretty solid with that hardness. I could maybe go a little harder, but don't think I'd enjoy anything too hard.

All that said, I think I've narrowed it down to the Atom Savant (93a) or the Reckless Morph Duel wheels (88a/93a). I'm leaning towards the Morph, since they have that softer edge, which I'm wondering if it will help me feel more stable with crossovers and such.

Any thoughts? Any other wheels that I should consider? My main goals for skating are to have fun, progress in basic skills and not die.

Thanks!
IMO, I think you should use different wheels for indoor and outdoor skating. The one wheel does it all really does not work, unless you are fine with skating in molasses. There is a lot to be gained by having harder wheels indoors. The skates will be more responsive to input and your speed will be easier to achieve. Just change wheels and you can have the best of both worlds.
Since you are looking at buying only one more set of wheels, I would buy a good set of indoor wheels and use the current wheels you have outdoors. Wheel changes are sometimes necessary to achieve best results with out compromise.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #3
smooti

Thanks for the reply. I'm already changing wheels from inside/outside and I'm happy with my outside wheels. (though, I do plan to get another pair of skates, because changing them 2-3x a week is a hassle).

That said, my main question is really on which indoor wheel I should consider. I have the Reckless Morphs in my cart and am itching to check out. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not throwing my $$$ away. My current indoor wheels feel too clunky, and my Pulse wheels are too soft for the rink. So I'd like a nice set of wheels for the rink, that will help me feel solid to better my skills.

Anyone here have the Reckless Morphs or Atom Savants?
smooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #4
ascar larkinyar
Remebering how to rex

I personally have not had a problem with wheels being slightly wider. More of a problem when wheels get too soft for rink skating.

Doing any move that requires a slight slide or transition to turn was much harder on softer, grippy wheels. Made my skating very not smooth. Also different rinks needed different durometer wheels. The topcoat used varied quite a bit, thus changing grip.

Currently I run a bones 101A as my hard wheel for grippy floors. A nice hard/tall/ narrow wheel. I didn't need width for a hard wheel seeing that grip was never an issue. My regular go to wheel is the orange cannibal. Fabulous fast, durable and stable wheel. Just the right amount of grip and break away slide for tricky moves. They are a little wider than the bones, but I don't notice it.

For outdoors I have the green 65mm tall pulse wheels. I like them.

Of course half the time I am on fiberglass California style slider wheels as in my avatar. Zero grip and every move is done from a slide. A whole different kind of skating.
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm already changing wheels from inside/outside and I'm happy with my outside wheels. (though, I do plan to get another pair of skates, because changing them 2-3x a week is a hassle).

That said, my main question is really on which indoor wheel I should consider. I have the Reckless Morphs in my cart and am itching to check out. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not throwing my $$$ away. My current indoor wheels feel too clunky, and my Pulse wheels are too soft for the rink. So I'd like a nice set of wheels for the rink, that will help me feel solid to better my skills.

If your floor is known to be coated well, I would go for a 97a-98a hardness wheel(narrows) of a good brand name. Hyper or Sure Grip. Good quality for the money spent. If you are skating a looser floor you may want to skate on 93a to 95/96a wheels of good quality. If the floor is dirty and always slippery, you may want to drop down to 90a to 92a. I really don't like atom wheels on quads as they really creamed the market a while back by charging big prices for wheels that had "hubcaps" on them and asking for "metal hub" prices. A sales tactic rather than a quality tactic. Metal hub wheels for indoor makes a bit of difference too. So spend wisely and you will be rewarded for your research time. I really like Hyper Shamans now, the wear time is much longer than a lot of other wheels out there. If money is no object, Scotts are way better than anything out there and will outlast anything out there too. Get some Scotts in 96a and your color choice and you are done.... If I could have bought the wheels I wanted in Natural no color added with out it being special order, I would own a set myself.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0231
I use this in a 1/4" drive with the correct socket and short extension to remove and install wheels. Remove wheels fast with it. Put next wheel on and start the nut. Turn all the way down snug then look at the wrench handle, back off exactly 1/2 turn... Done! quick and easy, easier than the typical skate wrench once your fingers learn how to handle and use it.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #6
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default One more option

Quote:
I'd like a nice set of wheels for the rink, that will help me feel solid to better my skills.

I have no information to add about the Reckless Morphs(abt $130) or the Atom Savants(abt $100) other then cost associated.

I have skated Faster wheels, Bones Turbos, and many others. For me the Faster wheels are best. Check out the following(set of 8 for $125):
https://www.detroitskatefactory.com/...lywheel-92-96a

Update: I now have Scott's Narrow Phantoms. AussieScott's wheels are as good or better than others have stated on this forum. I now have a new favorite wheel: Scott's wheels. Faster wheels are very good, but Scott's are Awesome!

Dual hardness(like the Morphs) allows good roll and the softer hardness ensures adequate grip for tight turns and maneuvers. I cannot speak to the quality of the thane on the Morphs, but the Faster wheels have great urethane.

Those under 200 lbs. can do well with the nylon hubs. Those over 200 lbs should be on metal hubs(set of 8 wheels & hubs available from Detroit Skate Factory[Faster]for about $155).

Good luck and be sure to talk to the regular skaters at your local rink to learn what wheels they use. You will soon learn there is no "one correct answer". Buy the best you can afford and you should do well.

Keep rollin

Last edited by GraySk8ter; July 14th, 2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Info update
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Trixton

+1 on the Aussie Scott wheels. Bont Royal Assassin 92A for grip, 95A Bont Royal Assassin 95A for copmpromise, 96A full size Phantom for speed/slide. Bont RA 'thane is poured by Corey Scott. I'm 150 lbs so if you're a heavier skater, you might want to bump it up a notch or two.

EDIT: I'm talking indoors here. If you want an outdoor set, check out Krypto Route 83A. The Pulse wheels are a nice soft wheel that I like to use for rough surfaces. You're probably best off upgrading your indoor wheels to get your money's worth.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #8
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
That said, for whatever reason, I am having trouble getting forward-to-back and have yet to do a crossover. The skates just feel clunky on me and it is like I'm scared my feet will get all tangled up.
Just an observation, but I think you may already know what's holding you back.

Your brain.

You're all relaxed and comfortable outside, but when you go inside, you get nervous, so you stiffen up and are reluctant to try what you already know you can do. Before you throw money at it, just spend some more time inside and relax and just skate.

If you'd like to explore a slightly narrower wheel, here's a couple to ponder. Faster Demilunes are really underrated. They're just a narrowed Fan Jet, and you can choose 59mm or 62mm. Also, Sure Grip Zombie Mids. Just like their 40mm counterpart, but slightly narrower.