S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 31st, 2016, 06:39 PM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Skating freestyle on Roll Line Dance Plates.

I know I highly recommended against it, but I have had second thoughts.
My spins are terrible and the Roll-Line dance plates allow you to get on edge very easily.

I have a strong OF spin and the roll line energy plates work fine, but my OB spin is weak and the incredible truck action of a Roll-Line Dance plates allows one to get on edge very quickly/easily. So if you want to make your OB spin easier, I would suggest a Roll Line Dance Plate for doing freestyle...LOL!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:34 AM   #2
PACAskater

Default Roll Line Dance

It looked like your spins were better on Friday with the Dance plate!!! Now you've got me wondering.......
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:45 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Roll Line Dance Plates for Freestyle.

Hey Tommi,

You are a wonderful skater and I know everybody at the rink is playing with their skates to get the right combination of plate, boot and wheels.

I have to admit my Roll-Line Dance Plates, with my EDEA Ice Fly boots and Bones 103A wheels are my most favorite skates.

1) For me, I don’t know why but the Bones 103A wheels work great for me. Even my Roll Line Energy skates (freestyle) have Bones 103A wheels and they grab the floor just fine.

2) Now you would think the Ice Fly boot would be plenty stiff, but they seem really flexible and that was my worry when doing freestyle in them. But I have taken a different approach to jumping in the last few days and a really stiff boot is not necessary if you skate slow. If you skate fast I think the “Concerto/Ice” boot like on my Energy skates comes into play, so you don’t sprain an ankle.

3) I have fairly stiff cushions in my Roll-Line Dance plates. They are the natural rubber yellow ones, and my trucks are on the loose side.

3a) I think if I do skate in the Roll-Line Dance plate for freestyle I will tighten the trucks and go to one step stiffer in cushions, like the see through blue cushions.

Sincerely,

Larry O

Last edited by larryoracing; January 1st, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:56 PM   #4
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

you mean like this !
the best plates and boots, I have ever skated.

Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Nice skates...lol!

Your skates are interesting. I have a feeling your boots are the Edea Fly boots for roller skating. The boots I purchased were EDEA Fly Ice, so they seem to have a lot more leather stiffeners on the sides. The EDEA ICE Fly is rated like 90 and I think the Roller Fly is rated like 50. So I got a feeling your boots are more comfortable than mine...lol!

I like your wheels, because they are drilled out and lighter than the Bones 103A Wheels. I will have to try those Roll Line Wheels to see if they are stickier or the same grip as a Bones 103A Wheels. I actually would like a wheel a little more slippier than the Bones 103A Wheel.

So I got some Giotto 61/58 small diameter 57mm wheels I want to try. I had some old pristine Weber Green wheels and one of the ladies at the rink just had to have them...lol! So we made the trade. I once skated on the Giotto 61 Hardness wheel in the large diameter size and they were too slippery, but I was able to stand up on them. They are a figure wheel not intended to do normal skating on...lol! I'm hoping the combo of 61/58 hardness with a smaller diameter might be an interesting wheel to skate on. We will see...lol!

We both seem to use the “Short” mount. The plate on yours and my skates does not go all the way back to the heel of the boot and of course does not go all the way to the tip of the boot. Actually I would like a little longer plate but they don’t make the Roll Line Dance Plate in 165 so I have the 160 length.

Your cushions are the see thru blue ones and mine are the yellow natural rubber and I would like to try the see thru blue to see if it gives a little better/stiffer feel than the natural yellow for freestyle.

Thanks for sharing,

Larry O

P.S. I would like to try the Roll Line Matrix plate. It might be close to the feel of
a Roll Line Dance plate. At least it is built with a low CG like the Roll Line Dance plate but comes in the longer length of 165 which is the perfect length for me...lol!
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #6
Nostalgic

I used to know people who used Webers as their everyday wheel for both dance and figures. They never had to push to get around the floor no matter what dance on what floor.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:01 AM   #7
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the tip Nostalgic!

I have one more set of the Weber Wheels. They are the yellow ones and have never been used either. I never heard of the green webers, but they are suppose to be harder.

So someday maybe I should try the yellow webers just to see if there is difference between them and a Bones 103A wheel.

Thanks,

Larry O and happy new year!
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #8
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

P.S. I would like to try the Roll Line Matrix plate. It might be close to the feel of
a Roll Line Dance plate. At least it is built with a low CG like the Roll Line Dance plate but comes in the longer length of 165 which is the perfect length for me...lol!
That's one expensive plate. If I recall correctly the Matrix has different kingpin angles on the front and back kingpins. At least different cushions which supposedly change the geometry. The installer at SkatesUS wasn't thrilled with it.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 04:49 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Roll Line Matrix plates should be arriving shortly!

I ordered a set of Roll Line Matrix, freestyle plates a few weeks ago. They are being shipped as we speak. I hope they ride a little different than the Energy, which I really donít like. I like the Dance plates, but they are not really for freestyle, so Iím trying to find a plate more reactive like the ďDanceĒ plate but made for freestyle. Only one plate left if the Matrix donít work out. That would be the Evol.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #10
rwsz

Quote:

I ordered a set of Roll Line Matrix, freestyle plates a few weeks ago. They are being shipped as we speak. I hope they ride a little different than the Energy, which I really donít like. I like the Dance plates, but they are not really for freestyle, so Iím trying to find a plate more reactive like the ďDanceĒ plate but made for freestyle. Only one plate left if the Matrix donít work out. That would be the Evol.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
i know all the plates are different but i dont see why the energy doesnt work for you, many skaters used it for freestyle and they loved it and worked fine for them. is the problem you might have the wrong size and its too large. i know you skated way back, it could just be your age and technique??
Old March 5th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #11
larryoracing

Smile Rick the Energy Plate is fine/perfect.

What you will find is once you skated on a Roll Line "Dance" plate nothing else compares. I have a lot of girls tell me that. Most of the girls only use the "Dance" plate for dance, but if you are a freestyle skater you are looking for that plate that compares to the "Dance" plate. The energy plate doesn't even come close. I have bought a pair of Matrix plates, which I have not mounted yet and both I and one other girl want to try the EVOL.

Dance plates are the best for dance.
I like the "Ring" Plate for figures. I'm new to figures.
The energy plate is fine, but what about the matrix and Evol. I really think titanium might be the way to go.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Don't forget about the light freestyle wheels.
Old March 5th, 2017, 03:37 AM   #12
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
What you will find is once you skated on a Roll Line "Dance" plate nothing else compares. I have a lot of girls tell me that. Most of the girls only use the "Dance" plate for dance, but if you are a freestyle skater you are looking for that plate that compares to the "Dance" plate. The energy plate doesn't even come close. I have bought a pair of Matrix plates, which I have not mounted yet and both I and one other girl want to try the EVOL.

Dance plates are the best for dance.
I like the "Ring" Plate for figures. I'm new to figures.
The energy plate is fine, but what about the matrix and Evol. I really think titanium might be the way to go.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Don't forget about the light freestyle wheels.
Larry, respectfully saying, you have the one of the worst case of SEDS, (skate equipment deficiency syndrome) I've seen. Thanks for being a test driver. I'm very interested in the dance frames.
Old March 5th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #13
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Larry, respectfully saying, you have the one of the worst case of SEDS, (skate equipment deficiency syndrome) I've seen. Thanks for being a test driver. I'm very interested in the dance frames.
no kidding Larry does for sure,,,,i thought the energy plate was a freestyle plate?
Old March 5th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #14
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
no kidding Larry does for sure,,,,i thought the energy plate was a freestyle plate?
The best use for the energy frame is freestyle, RWZ, and even though there is a difference in the aluminum, the plate looks identical to the mistral. http://skatesus.com/ice/roller-produ...-energy-steel/
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
The best use for the energy frame is freestyle, RWZ, and even though there is a difference in the aluminum, the plate looks identical to the mistral. http://skatesus.com/ice/roller-produ...-energy-steel/
thanks thats what i thought, oh i know what it looks like i have one of the very orginal ones that my sons skated on a long while back, like 2000to 2002 i cant remember. we upgraded the kingpins and the trucks. he loved those plates.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #16
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Most of the freestyle frames are virtually identical in terms of geometry. The super expensive ones have different geometry and medals. I saw Lorenzo crack an Evo a month ago or so.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #17
larryoracing

Smile Why is the Giotto/Energy plate use by all diciplines, figures, dance and freesyle?

I have noticed something very peculiar….lol!

1) A lot of the girls at that rink use the Roll Line Giotto plate for figures. It seems to be the plate of choice for doing figures.

a) If you read the write up on the Roll Line Giotto plate, it is the exact same plate as the Energy without the toe stop mount.

b) Why would you want a freestyle plate to do figures? Why is the Roll Line Energy plates used by so many skaters to win at Dance????? Why is Rick pushing the Energy Plate for singles…ie….many champions have won on the Roll Line Energy plate!!!!!!

c) The answer is very simple. The energy plate is the least reactive. It doesn’t want to turn like a Dance Plate, or the Ring plate that was designed to do loops. If you want a stable plate that stays on line/edge you will like the Energy plate/Giotto Plate for Figures, Dance and Freestyle.

d) I was the first person at my rink to get the Synder Imperial back in the early 70’s. That plate was designed to do loops by Douglas Synder. The only plate more reactive than the Imperial is the Roll Line Dance. And the Ring plate is a toned down Dance plate designed primarily to do loops.

So, if you like reactive plates, like the Douglas Synder Imperial, or the Roll Line Dance, or even the Figure/Loop Ring plate, you will always be looking for a plate a little more reactive than the Energy. That is why I bought the Matrix and I’m thinking about the EVOL.

I'm trying to find a plate a little more reactive than the energy for doing freestyle. You won't know if there is a more reactive plate than the Energy unless you buy one and try it out. So I bought the Matrix and I'm thinking about the Evol. I have not mounted the Matrix plate yet.

I was given a set/pair of Synder Advantage plates/skates, boots, 103 Super Elite wheels and bearings and I have to remount those up so I don't look like a fool accepting a pair of skates from a champion who passed away, given to me by his wife and not using them...lol!

The original skates given to me have special wedges installed on the plates, underneath the boots and will have to be removed in order for me to skate on them. The original owner put wedges underneath the boots to get a little more edge on his skates. The boots are my exact size and why the wife gave me the skates. They fit me and she thought they would.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. Our we having fun yet?
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #18
rwsz

Larry your right on the energy but the funny thing is when it came out and started to replace the atlas all the wc skaters went to it in dance and freestyle. it was more reactive then the atlas plates probably due to the cushions i think and the whole way the plate was engineered.

but many past skaters skated on snyder super deluxe and imperials and won and skated great. to me the skater makes the skater and not the plate or equipment so much, they can adapt to anything.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #19
rwsz

[QUOTE=rwsz;724460]Larry your right on the energy but the funny thing is when it came out and started to replace the atlas all the wc skaters went to it in dance and freestyle. it was more reactive then the atlas plates probably due to the cushions i think and the whole way the plate was engineered.

but many past skaters skated on snyder super deluxe and imperials and won and skated great. to me the skater makes the skater and not the plate so much, they can adapt to anything. tried to delete this as i slighly changed the last post, cant do it for some reason lol.
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #20
larryoracing

Smile Dear Rick I'm not a great skater...lol!

And never was, but I was trying to figure out what is the perfect freestyle plate.

I came up with an answer, last night.

Synder Royal, Titanium. Cost is the same as the Matrix steel.

I want to weigh both combos and see for the price, which is better.

I know I like the Royal action better than the Energy. Now is the weight of the titanium lighter than the steel?

Larry O and thanks for the posts!