S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old December 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #1
mmmm_bacon
Senior Poser - Vote 4 Me!

Thumbs up Money-Is-No-Object Jam Plate: Discuss

For clarification: I'm not talking about 'break-skating', to me that seems pretty straight forward - any -long- plate w/toe-plug and crank the action down as tight as physics will allow (although that could be an interesting discussion too). I'm talking about floor work and toe-jam work.

To be honest, I'm expecting a lot of Roll-Line responses, but it will be interesting to see...

I don't think ' likkwid ' is on the forum anymore, but I'd be especially curious to get his take on this topic.
Old December 19th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Proline, reactors, pretty much any 15 deg or less plate. Action isnt needed much, as the "flair" that produces a good looking move is done by using your feets positioning/pivoting to make the skates carve.

Plastic or metal doesn't matter. And actually a lot of people will skate on plastic since its just a "softer" feel. Theres no worry about the types of distortion a weaker plastic plate presents during speed skating, since the forces arent the same.

Plastic plates can have the action cranked down and since theres some more flex in the plastic rather than 7000 series alu like say, a proline, they will start to distort a little before the action is used. Since the plates flex more readily, the kingpins are less likely to break. Seen some crazy stuff on plastic plates.

Firm suspension, a somewhat flexy plate and boot is very forgiving, and small errors in form during tricks are extremely easy to hide. Also, sometimes truck action gets stuck a little where it wont return to neutral every time (grease fixes that usually), so firm suspension tightened up with that flexing plate also reduces the likelyhood of cushions deforming, sliding, then getting stuck while being used (action), ya know, instead of returning to center. Any skateboarder has probably seen this afterlanding hard on one side of the board, getting wheel bite, and having to bail out. Then their board turns in circles as it trys to roll away.
Old December 19th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #3
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Replace rubber cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Also, sometimes truck action gets stuck a little where it won't return to neutral every time (grease fixes that usually), so firm suspension tightened up with that flexing plate also reduces the likelihood of cushions deforming, sliding, then getting stuck while being used (action), ya know, instead of returning to center.
If the skate plate will accept urethane cushions, use the hardest available and just snug the kingpin. They center much faster than rubber and last for longer periods of time.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #4
BigFoot

I have never used Roll-Lines. I have jammed on Pacer Crown, Chicago speed, Chicago figure, POS Sketchers, Avenger white and Avanti white plates. The Avanti is the best, the Avenger and Chicago figure are the worst (too turny, loosey-goosey for me).

Avanti white is currently selling for ≈ $190, so it is more “mid-priced” than “money-is-no object.” It has a 10⁰ kingpin and I finished it off with hard cushions and tight action. Wheel bite is unlikely because the bottom of the plate to the center of the axle is 5 centimeters. It has a solid, stable feel to it and I like that everything stays in adjustment and remains tight. Going out of adjustment/coming loose is a pet peeve of mine. Also like that it’s made in U.S.A. Buy American!
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:47 AM   #5
Rollmazicon

I doubt you could go wrong with that $1000 Roll-Line plate.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:10 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Have only jammed on a few plates, which are Roll-Line Mistral and Snyder Advantage. I love them both, due to the not so steep kingpin angles. Both plates are in the middle of the road for pricing (both run for anywhere from $400-$500, depending on the vendor).

I have tried skating on 45 degree plates and didn't like them at all.

So, this thread is all about personal preference. What may be the gold standard for some, will be in the throw-away pile for others.
chuckboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Gee

I would go with Paioli Cristal for jam. It is designed like a Roll Line with Atlas kingpins. It has click action adjustment for the cushions just like the Atlas. I find having the action set from the plate side to be very convenient because it easily allows me to completely disassemble and reassemble the truck and have the action restored without needing to make any adjustments.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:32 PM   #8
mmmm_bacon
Senior Poser - Vote 4 Me!

Question Paioli Cristal vs Roll-Line ???? for jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I would go with Paioli Cristal for jam. It is designed like a Roll Line with Atlas kingpins.
Very interesting!

Which Roll-Line plate model would you say is its closest cousin and what makes the Cristal the superior of the two?

Where did you source your Paioli Cristal plate?
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #9
Mitchell P.

Not adding much to the discussion since I haven't tried much, but I've skated SG Classics, Centuries, and recently acquired a Powerdyne Reactor plate.

Prefer the Reactor of the three. Noticeably lighter, MUCH easier to adjust the trucks, and feels extremely stable & responsive to my input. My Centuries seemed less predictable, and required regular truck adjustment .
Mitchell P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Describe your Jam Skating..

Hi

First: High Lower Mass ChuckB. One of these days I will skate with you again.

I have seen skaters skate on all sorts of stuff and do various Jam Skating. Sometimes we might call some of them Break Dancing. We even used to have the jam Skating guy on SkateLog. Chuck is his name.

The most important to me and hopefully your skatelog skaters is to know what kind of moves you want to do Jam Skating.

If you have videos of some of the greats that you want to copy or improve on that would be good information.

Here is Oscar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePgjew3okM

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave