S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default After Session Free_No_Direction Blog

Hi ALL,

I am working on an idea, to give us all another Blog, to capture small comments and continual feed backs to each other.. These comments back to each other, all add value to Session Skaters after or before a session in our Virtual SLF environment.

I am hoping to keep the other Blog a bit more pure by skaters only giving their longer summary of their session skating experience. And then only having limited comments on another skater who has shared their session skating experience.

Anyway the Title Sounds OK for now, yet may have to change. Free No Direction is kind of what we see on the skate floor.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default So how Mort did you do that..

How Mort.

Did you get that Groin break. I used to be afraid of that when younger.

What are you doing to stop another one?

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default What is a Lemon

Hi HoneyBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeoftheValley View Post
Yes! Totally smooth, and fast! I also found doing lemons with both feet or with one to be MUCH easier. No opportūnity to try backwards that session. Maybe next time.
Not sure I know this term. I looked at a few of your posts yet could not figure it out?

So What is a Lemon?

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Hernias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
How Mort.

Did you get that Groin break. I used to be afraid of that when younger.

What are you doing to stop another one?

Well, its a weakness someone is born with. I probably would not have ever had this happen if I was much more sedentary in life.

Eventually the stress of using my core(straining) and the pressure in there wore down the mesh inside my body and caused a hole large enough for my intestines to come out of. That is essentially what causes a hernia, a failure in your bodys internal mesh that keeps your guts where they belong. Common points of failure are the goin(mostly for men, but in no way exclusive) and belly button.

It sucks, but its not that bad as I can walk now, although slow. Surgery was on monday at noon, 3 days pass and I can get around. Don't need pain meds now. My other side was much less painful though. Coughing is excrucatingly painful. Thankfully I have not sneezed yet or hiccup'd.

Many people live with hernias for the remainder of their lives. However I'm yound and enjoy being able to use my strength without worry of having my guts come out, or worse get stuck where they cannot be reduced. Which REQUIRES immediate surgery. I got the procedure done as soon as possible. I'ts nothing you can really "stop" per se. The doc thinks I may even have to get the left side repaired a second time as they didnt use as much mesh in it. Won't know till it cuts loose. This is purely based off the repair he made to my right side though. I go hard though so its entirely possible.

Other thought...Did you mean to post in here or in the other thread(after session mini blog)? lol just wondering.
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #5
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default A Mort-al condition

Mort says: "Well, its a weakness someone is born with. I probably would not have ever had this happen if I was much more sedentary in life."

Then you couldn't be the "SKATING BEAST"

Maybe the "Fuddy Duddy on Wheels"

Glad to hear the Op went well and you are mending quickly. Since experiencing gallbladder removal - I can sympathize with Mort's statement of: "Thankfully I have not sneezed yet or hiccup'd." Mort will probably agree that you have to hug yourself a lot until the healing process is done.

Best Wishes Mort. Quick recovery. Ease slowly into skating again. And after time and patience, you will be "the Skating Beast" once more.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

haha, thanks Gray, Yea I went through this before, and while I remember being a little sore, this time around it feels like they beat me up on the inside. like a little MIB(men in black) fight scene happened between my hip and my junk under my skin.

Problem with being in my skating position most of the time is everyones always chasing me :P so I'm always beating myself up hahah. like I get done burning some laps with a friend and we chill 2 laps later another friend wants to race through the crowd. They're in cohoots!

A few of the regulars I skate with already started the "old man" teasing 1 day after my surgery. Gonna have to spank them when I'm 100% again.

I'm sure you know how it is, can't let those young'ins get the better of you. little punks.
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I'm sure you know how it is, can't let those young'ins get the better of you. little punks.
yes, but eventually.......... My youngest son is now a faster side surfer, higher, jump turner, and prolly faster than I (though we don't race). I'm better in edges three turns, dancing, and spins, though I'm not a good spinner. The question is how to handle the up and comming kids (my kid doesn't fit the punk description, he's just fun) gracefully? That's a question I don't have the answer to.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #8
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Kids (our cash in the World bank)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
yes, but eventually.......... My youngest son is now a faster side surfer, higher, jump turner, and prolly faster than I (though we don't race).
My son began beating me during the session fast skate about the time he turned 12. He was kicking my rear in strategy board games about the same time. I did about the same to my Dad with chess(when I was about 12).

Ya, ya, you are correct. There was no internet, no cell phones, no color TV, etc, etc, etc... Since there were few distractions, we played quite a few board games. When we weren't working, we were playing outside doing physical activity.

Anyway, back to point: Kids will always strive to beat their parents at something. Good for them!!! After all is said and done, they are going to have to work their butts off paying taxes to the government so we can siphon some Social Security later on. So encourage them to get faster, stronger, and more knowledgeable than you. They'll be supporting you some day!

Meanwhile: Keep rollin
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #9
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I guess you can call "lemons" scissors.
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #10
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Question What???????????????

Quote:
I guess you can call "lemons" scissors.
I call oranges Juice.

Keep rollin

p.s. I did read prior posts and I know what you are referring to, but others not reading prior posts would be very confused.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #11
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Well, they really should read prior posts, shouldn't they?
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Well, they really should read prior posts, shouldn't they?
A internet forum conundrum. People just read a couple posts then start talkin. Next ignorance's about what is actually being talked about starts. Then slander.

Time flows like a river, and history repeats.
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #13
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I could see if the thread carried on during the span of over 10 pages, or over several years. And if it mattered to anyone to find out what I meant besides the few people involved, then they could google it if they didn't already know what I was talking about from the two terms I mentioned. If they didn't want to do that, then I guess they didn't want to know badly enough. And that's ok.

As for lemons/scissors. I can do them fairly well, especially with my new Backspin wheels. I was just saying that I need more opportunity to practice backwards skating. It doesn't always happen every session that the dj calls for a backwards skate. Maybe tomorrow.
Old March 28th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Can't backwards skate at any time?

We do it anytime we want. Fortunately our rink doesn't have a bunch of wacky rules.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #15
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Can't backwards skate at any time?

We do it anytime we want. Fortunately our rink doesn't have a bunch of wacky rules.
I skate two rinks in San Antonio. One has an adult night where just about any type of skating goes as long as you don't endanger others. But that rink has all the "wacky rules" in place for all the other public sessions(and throw in SKATE MATES for further disgust). So I only attend the adult sessions.

The other one or two sessions I do each week are at a much more friendly rink. No whacked out rules, very short drive, and best of all - NO SKATE MATES! I can skate backward, forward, sideways, about anything. They do not allow fast skating unless it is an announced special.

Check all your local rinks. Maybe there is still one that is managed more to keep happy customers, than beef up the bottom line.

Keep rollin

p.s. the dumber rules are usually a result of the fear of being sued. Dump most of the lawyers and society would be better off.
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #16
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Yes we usually have the whacky rules, but we also have an adult skate. I'm sure if I was a competent backwards skater they would be fine with it, (there are other really good skaters that do all sorts of sideways and backwards stuff with no problem) but I'm not, so I only really feel comfortable doing it when they call for a beginner's backwards skate.
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #17
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Busy Bee

Just noticed your join date and the number of posts during that brief time. You are tearing it up! This forum had been in need of discussion without recrimination. So, you go girl!

As for the adult night: if your rink rules are similar to ours, the outside near the rail is for the speed freaks, inside of that is more of a normal pace, nearest the center oval is the slowest, and the center is for the skaters gettin their dance on in place(break dance etc...). Beginners are asked to skate within the center oval also(for their own protection). If the rink you attend has rules like this, just move in close to the center oval and practice, practice, practice. Wish I could have you look at an informative video and you became an accomplished skater of that move, but reality is - nothing worth doing comes easily. You just have to repeat it over and over until the action just happens without having to overthink it!

Keep rollin
Old March 28th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #18
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Thanks? I guess I just have no other life is why all the posts. That and I like to throw myself into hobbies. But I do believe in using the search function, to a point, before asking a question that may have been answered already, repeatedly and at length. Usually I end up with questions that I either can't find the answer to or that I haven't been able to find has been asked at all LOL. And I don't yet have any skating friends "in real life" to talk about this stuff with.

Yeah, I wish we could just Matrix the ability to skate. "I know Kung Fu!"

I've only ever seen a couple people in the middle ONE TIME. And I don't want to be the only one there. I'm really hoping to get a lot of practice in at a local outdoor rink/skate park this spring/summer as soon as it dries out. Flurries again today with 1-3" accumulation. I know it's going to melt tomorrow, though, so not that big a deal, but I am SO over it!
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #19
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

The rinks l skate it is hit or mis with the backwards skating. Depends on the DJ. Mort came up and skated with us, and it didn't take long for them to stop the backwards skating. They don't complain about speed so much, but do say no speed skating during the day session. Usually the last couple of hours the rink clears out, and they don't care. I did ask the owner about the backwards skating. They were sued a few years ago. I guy was skating backwards and took out an older gentleman. Ended his skating. They were sued for not enforcing the rules. "Negligence". I didn't ask the outcome, but owner said even posted skate at your own risk doesn't mean anything anymore. They do prolly 6 songs that you can backwards skate, and couple skates. We can backwards skate in the middle. On a average sat we have 150-200 skaters on the floor. The last couple of hours prolly 50 people. They play more old school music then too. I go all the time, so they don't say nothing to me when i skate backwards, but I usually just do a few laps and turn around. The other rink I go to on weds, they say something as soon I start skating backwards. Same owners, but they are more sticklers. No skatemates. Lol there is a small rink by my house that is empty during the week. I use to skate it for exercise. There would be maybe 10 people on the floor. Sometimes just a few. I would do speed laps for a couple of hours. Small narrow rink, and very slick. You could do whatever you wanted, but not a lot of fun when nobody is there. Lol

Honey get out there in the middle and practice. More people might join you.
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #20
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
The rinks l skate it is hit or mis with the backwards skating... They don't complain about speed so much, but do say no speed skating during the day session... I did ask the owner about the backwards skating. They were sued a few years ago. 1 guy was skating backwards and took out an older gentleman. Ended his skating. They were sued for not enforcing the rules. "Negligence". I didn't ask the outcome, but owner said even posted skate at your own risk doesn't mean anything anymore...
Texas has a skating rink liability law to protect the rink owners. My friend who owns a rink went to Austin and lobbied for this law back in the 80's. He was able to get it passed. Here - SKATE AT YOUR OWN RISK is a valid statement. But even so, some rinks are paranoid. If they just would monitor floor activity better and correct dangerous behavior(wrong way, cutting across, skating faster than ability to stop, etc...), things would be a lot better. They will quickly deny access if a skate plate designed for toe stops doesn't have a stop or plug. OK, then why is it any more difficult to tell someone(individually/not blanket rules) they need to modify their skating behavior?

Keep rollin