S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 10th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default Training Log

August 10 Rained out. Martinis

Last edited by speedysktr; July 10th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #2
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Dang, I did some really cool stuff I didn't get to report on while the forum was down. Well, not really. Just a triathlon. Since I don't have any friends other than my online/skating ones, you'll have to listen to the report.

Sprint tri, August 5 - 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run 9th age group/31
1:10:06 total, swim 8:36 T1 2:13 bike 33:06 T2 1:30 run 24:45
I suck at swimming - this is always my downfall in triathlon. I was 25/31 for the swim. Yeah. I placed top 10 in both the bike and run, but my transition times were also sub-par. Every second counts and I probably could have saved a minute here. I wasn't too disappointed though because I'm not training for triathlon right now, and I did better than last year. The swim really wasn't that bad - the water was a nice temperature and we were going with the current. The bike was a little slower than I anticipated, but it was still fun. I felt great on my new bike. The run was really hot, no shade, and started out in loose sand. If you've never run in loose sand, it really sucks. I'd compare it to running through molasses. Anyway, I had a great time, and I can't wait for the next one. I expect to kick a$$ on the bike next time.

So now, back to the present...
August 10
21 miles @ Flatwoods, 1:18:14, 3:44 pace
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Well, not really. Just a triathlon. Since I don't have any friends other than my online/skating ones, you'll have to listen to the report.
two things, #1 whadyamean 'well not really'? Girl, mm, mm, MMMPH!! You rock, dammit! Oh that's right, just toss it off, mm hmm, just a tri, no biggie. #2 with friends like us, who needs the rest more later, lotsa ketchin up to do.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #4
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

You're no fun
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #5
NWGlenn

07-24 thru 30
Pretty much an easy recovery week. Tue afternoon Evergreen park with g'daughter and Thur. evening session skate w/her also

Fri and Sat: checking out Spokane Centennial Trail for marathon.

Sun, 07- 30: AM: Skated Spokane InLine marathon…placed second in division with time of 1hr 53min 39 sec. Last year’s time was 2:00:16. This year was a tougher push than last’s with some pretty stiff winds. All in all a great week-end.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #6
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Moving this to the "Official thread"

It seems that we cannot edit thread titles...

-------------------------

Let's see...for the last couple of weeks it has been:

M,W,F - AM - 5 miles with intervals
W - PM - 5 miles at pace
T,R - AM - 12 miles slow through Magnolia
R - PM - 26.2 miles

Last Thursday I had a really good day!

26.2 miles in 1:30:22 for a average of 17.4. Max speed 28.3. Avg HR 169. Max HR 191. Best mile 2:13/26.8. Worst mile 5:57/10.1.

I had two miles of > 4 minutes. 7 sub 3 minute miles.

I don't know if I'll be able to duplicate it today. I did duplicate the sub 3 minute miles on Monday so I know they were not a fluke.

--------------------------

This Wednesday (8/9) skated 7 miles with NWGlenn at Evergreen. Tonight (8/10) did 26.2 at Evergreen, averaged 13.4 with a average HR of 152 -- it is kinda cool to be going the same speed as a number of weeks ago but at a much lower HR. Best mile 2:44. Lots of people stopped by, there was mulch on the path and the fastest corner was wet (still).

Tomorrow is the Eddie clinic social skate and then two 10 hour days of Eddie.

Last edited by mvirtue; August 11th, 2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #7
NWGlenn

07 - 31 thru 08 - 06
Tue. 08 - 01: No skating … dental work $440+. Sheeesh !! the wheels and bearings I could have bought with that!!!

Thur. 08 - 03: AM Back the McDevelopment for more Hills and Grades. Four laps / 22.6 mi. in 2hr 4min. Lap times: 30, 31, 31 and 31. Lap 4 adjusted to 31 for a pit stop. Overall average was 10.935mph inclusive of stop; with adjustment: 11.024mph.

Sun. 08 - 06: Easy day… AM drive to Kent to do the Soos Creek Trail with the south Seattle group.
PM: Session skate w/# 1 son & family and mvirtue and Madeline.

08 - 07 thru 08 - 13
Tue. 08 - 08: AM: Working hills and grades at the McDevelopment. Increased distance by one lap for a total of 5 for 28 miles. In 2hr 41min /
10.43mph (including one pit stop). Lap times: 30, 30, 31, 33, 37. That last lap nearly wasted me. We’ll see what happens Thursday morning.

Wed, evening: Laps in Evergreen with mvirtue...first time I've had my low cuts on since early July. 'Still working the break in.

edit/addition
Thur. AM: Out to McDevelopment, spotty windshield on the way but dried off. Geared up, warm up in parking lot...spotty pavement?!! then wet pavement. Decided on the better part of valor and called it a recovery day.

PM: Session skate, quads only.

Last edited by NWGlenn; August 11th, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #8
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I sure have to get used to this new forum. Seems good to be back and to hear from you guys again. Missed you Kathie I have been quad skating a lot nowadays. Took the L10's out of drydock and had fun with them this evening. Its been awhile! Sure do lose speed when not using them. We have had a lot of rain in NM lately, thought Seattle had moved here! Trails are a bit tricky due to run off. Jessica, I think it is so cool you are doing the tri's. When I did them they were the greatest and it sure is a test of discipline and character! Whats with this Junior Member under our names?
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #9
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Whats with this Junior Member under our names?
I think it will change as each of us racks up more and more posts. Think of it like experience points for the world of forums.

As for the rain, if it was real rain then it is definitly not like up here. We mostly get 100% humidity that is hanging in the air.

Last edited by mvirtue; August 11th, 2006 at 05:44 AM. Reason: I had not finished my thought.
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #10
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
How can you tell how fast you go? Do you have a pacer, or is there a speedometer that can be fastened to the wheels of your skates, like on a bike? I'd like to know where to get something like that...
I use a Garmin 301 which is a combination GPS and heart rate monitor. Other people use known distances and a stop watch.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Aug 10

5 miles on Blackstone River Bikeway.

I've decided that using the Garmin doesn't seem to be helping me much. But at least I'm back to skating once in a while.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #12
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

New Mexico is in a drought, the worst in years. So the clouds opened up and we have had flooding where it never has been. Peoples homes washed out and some loss of life. It also has had a devasting effect on the paths as there is so much runoff that rocks and mud litter the path. Even the cyclists have slowed down for this one. We have had a few dry days as of late but the damage is done and paths are low priority for the maint folks.

I use the Garmin 201 which does not have the HR monitor. I saved a few bucks and figured if my heart is still beating I'd have accomplished my goal. Then again I have no object other than to maintain fitness which in my case is just moving. If racing I'd have to have the HR monitor!
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #13
speedysktr
President of Everything

bummer about not being able to change the thread titles.

Last edited by speedysktr; August 11th, 2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #14
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

<< bummer about not being able to change the thread titles. >>

I'm going to see if I can fix that. I'm still learning my way
around the admin tools...

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #15
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

8/3 (Thu), did some pretty intense but short skating with a buddy...... at Dyer.

8/5 (Sat), Dyer again, late afternoon. Did some hills......

8/6 (Sun), Dyer again, late afternoon. Did some drills and invertals (4 to 6 min long).

8/8 (Tue), Dyer, distance skating with buddies.......

8/9 (Wed), Dyer, drills and hills.....

8/10 (Thu), Dyer, skated with my 2 training buddies. We skated at a relatively high average pace around the small loops. We rested at the downwind leg, and at race pace at the crosswind leg, and as hard as we can into the wind (sort of like an interval). The wind was at least 20mph. The last attempt was brutal, because one of them decided to break the 20mph mark. I did manage around 17 when it's my 2nd time to pull........
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #16
Code Monkey

I started skating intervals one day a week. The rest of the time I had to cut back on the usual hour and a half because I found a skating partner. Well, she rides a bike and I am on skates. I now skate faster so I only go one hour and then cool down for fifteen minutes. Not really sure what my heart rate is but all I know is it has got to be up there. I feel fine though and now I don't like to wear a heart rate monitor but just go out and go. The days I don't go out with my skating partner I go skating in the morning and just skate easy with lots of drills. Amazingly enough I think I have got the double push down and use it all the time while chasing my friend on the bike. I don't know but I think alot has to do with the skate boot and frame because after drilling for a few days it just seems like how to skate. I'm not sure if I even remember how to skate the classic style.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #17
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

I'm doing some 1 hour sessions 3-4 times a week in preparation for the Fort De Soto 10k in St. Pete 8/20. Resistance work through hill climbs and intervals. Technical drills during recovery periods. Skated our Thursday night Baldwin Park session last night (11 miles). More later.

Ken
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #18
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

August 11th

Friday social skate with Eddie for 10 miles.

Photos from Friday

Last edited by mvirtue; August 14th, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #19
Greenetuckian

chuckboucher wrote
Quote:
But at least I'm back to skating once in a while.
I don't know about Boston but it has been dang near too hot here in Greenetucky. I did skate on the Monon in Indy on July 31st even though the temp was in the 90's with a heat index of 105. I made right at fourteen and a half miles in an hour and thirty six min. Not great speed but there are a lot of road xings and it was HOT HOT HOT. Last Sat. I skated for about a half and hour but it was just too hot and I was towing Ash most of the way. Perhaps I can do better this evening since it is only supposed to get to 82 today.
Greenetuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #20
Pepper Montana

8/12
Fourteen miles on the hilly loop averaging 14 mph. Max heart rate was 182 with an average heart rate of 163. Found out that I need to get lower and I still need to stop the toe flick. 90 situps when I got home. Great workout and I feel wonderful. Relaxed and peaceful. The best part of the day.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote