S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #1
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Default Floor Delima

The rink where I skate just got a new floor but the owner cheapened out and went with another floor coating other than Roll On. The floor is very slick and unpredictable unless it rains prior or during skating then it hooks up and grips like crazy. Anybody heard of this alternative coating and have you had issues skating on it?
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

What's it called?.
And have they scrubbed it yet.?
As most floors get better after the scrubbing flattens the particles
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Iggy
DGS Racing

The only other coating I know of is Titanium, but the Titanium coated floors I've been on grip way more than Roll On.

Is it possible they just switched from an oil based coating to a water based one? I know when we had some repair work done on our floor a few years ago and had to recoat it, we had to use water based because apparently the oil based coatings are no longer legal in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (stupid EPA). The water based coatings in my experience don't grip very well.
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Could be Rink-Cote, but I'm not certain that stuff is made anymore. Could also be that they used something like a gym floor coating that's not specifically for rink floors.

If it's flourocarbon based, it may need time to outgas. Rink-Cote used to have a lot of xylol in it. phew.
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #5
AZSHOT

No more urethane for wheels, no more oil based paints for floors. We need to get PETA involved and they'll outlaw leather for boots.

Going back to the stone age....at a Progressive pace.....
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #6
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

It's terrible if it's not raining or previously rained.....I'll try to get the name of the coating next time I am there. I don't need to take a hard fall at this point of my life. Nothing I have will hold the floor.....even 96A wheels are unpredictable.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #7
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
It's terrible if it's not raining or previously rained.....I'll try to get the name of the coating next time I am there. I don't need to take a hard fall at this point of my life. Nothing I have will hold the floor.....even 96A wheels are unpredictable.
Just a guess; could be the product should have been applied with a squeegee, but was rolled on, leaving micro bubbles. I've seen this condition.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #8
fierocious1

Some owners want to pull the maximum cash out so they cheapen things. Hope it's not part of a downward spiral... I know of a rink owner that had a floor going bad. Supports under it were collapsing over time and it was getting wavy. He put a new floor on top of the old one. Now he has a really wavy thick floor and twice as much work to do when this floor gives up.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #9
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Some owners want to pull the maximum cash out so they cheapen things. Hope it's not part of a downward spiral...
Combine that with the already shrinking number of rinks, and it's sad news for skaters. At least those that cheapen out are keeping the rink open (for now).

I had an opposite experience when the wooden floor was refinished in the fall. my 94's were sticking so bad that I could hardly do any spins. Rink owner used a new compound that is supposed to work better/last longer, etc. Went with some 98 Zombies for a few months until the grip wore down. Now with the warm temps and humidity, it's back to gripping more. I'm definitely thankful the rink is still there, and the owners are keeping it maintained.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
Combine that with the already shrinking number of rinks, and it's sad news for skaters. At least those that cheapen out are keeping the rink open (for now).

I had an opposite experience when the wooden floor was refinished in the fall. my 94's were sticking so bad that I could hardly do any spins. Rink owner used a new compound that is supposed to work better/last longer, etc. Went with some 98 Zombies for a few months until the grip wore down. Now with the warm temps and humidity, it's back to gripping more. I'm definitely thankful the rink is still there, and the owners are keeping it maintained.
There is a rink in Katy TX that the owners are pulling everything they can out. The floors are dirty the bathrooms too. No upgrades, rough floor.. lousy sound system. The place has remained the same for years. There are others that are not so bad as that so this varies quite a bit. There is a rink in South Houston that has the worse floor I have ever skated on. I left after about 45 minutes, it was disgusting..
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #11
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
There is a rink in Katy TX that the owners are pulling everything they can out. The floors are dirty the bathrooms too. No upgrades, rough floor.. lousy sound system. The place has remained the same for years. There are others that are not so bad as that so this varies quite a bit. There is a rink in South Houston that has the worse floor I have ever skated on. I left after about 45 minutes, it was disgusting..
Some of the old neglected oak floors are actually excellent to skate. But the local rink had water damage years ago and no one to fix it. So the bumps in corner 4 kinda suck. They said they hired the owner of the Fort Wayne rink to fix it. But he never showed up. The Warsaw rink uses a texas firm to resurface theirs every year before art camp. So I know the local owners could get someone to do it if they really wanted to.

I like to support the local rink but it's terribly neglected. They wanted to sell it to me, but I would need bank help. Which means the bank gets 120% of the profits and I get -20%. I know I've owned a business before.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #12
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Some of the old neglected oak floors are actually excellent to skate. But the local rink had water damage years ago and no one to fix it. So the bumps kinda suck. They said they hired the owner of the Fort Wayne rink owner to fix it but he never showed up. But I know the Warsaw rink uses a texas firm to do it. And they do iypt every year before art camp. So they aren't trying real hard to fix it.
I'd love to see the Warsaw rink. I was born in Warsaw in 1943, left in 1950 for California.
Old May 20th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
Some of the old neglected oak floors are actually excellent to skate. But the local rink had water damage years ago and no one to fix it. So the bumps in corner 4 kinda suck. They said they hired the owner of the Fort Wayne rink to fix it. But he never showed up. The Warsaw rink uses a texas firm to resurface theirs every year before art camp. So I know the local owners could get someone to do it if they really wanted to.

I like to support the local rink but it's terribly neglected. They wanted to sell it to me, but I would need bank help. Which means the bank gets 120% of the profits and I get -20%. I know I've owned a business before.
Many skaters have the dream. Reality is that it is tough being a rink owner. A long way to go to get a rink paid off. Years of low population nights. And many nights of full house. Repairs, upgrades and replacement skates. That is why rinks are dying out, it is tough. Even tougher to buy the thing complete.

Unless skating is very popular and has been built up over a long time, it is going to be tough. We all dream of the tightest floor that is smooth as glass, nice cool AC, the perfect sound system that sound in stereo no matter where you are on the floor, nice bathrooms and clean floors. Great lighting as well. I would love to be able to have a rink like that, but as I said, it would be a dream for me, not reality. I know a guy that tried, he drove a truck to attempt to pay off the rink, he finally gave up. More likely than not a rink has been in the family for a couple of generations.
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:17 AM   #14
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Old rink addage:

Q: How do do you make a small fortune owning a roller rink?
A: Start with a large fortune.

Before anyone gets too down on a rink owner for letting things slide, consider that he may have to choose between recoating his floor and making his house payment. In most cases, its a decision he sure doesn't like having to make.
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:40 PM   #15
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Old rink addage:

Now that's funny. Also sad, because it's probably true. The local rink was built in 1949 from an Irish Sweepstakes winning, and has been handed down the generations.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #16
ursle
Street Skater

My rink, side by side outdoor basketball courts is 40 grit sandpaper, it's sand painted onto cement, falling isn't an option.
Problem is the land was never really filled properly, the cracks that appear with warm and cold weather shifts keep getting bigger and deeper, usually a crew shows up and does an excellent patch job, this spring somebody went the cheap route, they hired somebody to spray what must be heated nylon on the cracks and roll it smooth, well, if they were to sand it and paint it it might work, but now it's a 1/4" bump of material my 82a wheels can't grip, it's gotta be some kind of hard, so if I touch it as I'm pushing I slide like it's ice and I'm in leather loafers, but it's free
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:32 PM   #17
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Well this rink has triple purpose, it's used as a day care during the day, martial arts dojo in the afternoon/evenings and a skating rink from Friday night until Sunday afternoon. The is a minister and a lawyer.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM   #18
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Old rink addage:

Yes...

From a financial perspective skating rinks can work well following the White Castle model, as real estate investments that pay off as a population center expands and the land becomes more valuable. At that point you have a larger fortune, but no rink...

Ideally you start with some land you either own or can afford to purchase more or less outright. Without that capital it will be a tough climb.

Old May 25th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #19
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Yes...

From a financial perspective skating rinks can work well following the White Castle model, as real estate investments that pay off as a population center expands and the land becomes more valuable. At that point you have a larger fortune, but no rink...

Ideally you start with some land you either own or can afford to purchase more or less outright. Without that capital it will be a tough climb.

I did a bit of research a few years ago and found the same to be true. I had sound system and some skates but not enough money to start up and refit a building. With out the building being paid for and the land it sits on, it would indeed be a very tough business to excel at. If the rink gets and stays popular right from the start, maybe. In a small town, almost impossible. Once a rink shuts down it is hard to start back up too, unless you have everything you need to do it.