S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 6th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #61
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Actually, I find it easier to turn tight on 125's than 110's since I can use a shorter frame. Lots easier to get around the rink on a 12.8 than a 13.2 (in my opinion).
I was using a 12.6 Flyke and now a 13.2 EO and really don't feel much of a difference in being able to turn at speed.
chuckboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #62
reely?
2016 US National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Actually, I find it easier to turn tight on 125's than 110's since I can use a shorter frame. Lots easier to get around the rink on a 12.8 than a 13.2 (in my opinion).
Agreed, 125s turn as good if not better than 110s. I killed it at the shootout here in TX skating the NIRA oval, led 95% of the masters open. But I was skating EO 12.8 and on wheels that were 8 months old, was like i was on rails. I've recently moved to a 13" EO and am getting through the corners/passing pretty well, enjoying them so far.

Thanks, d.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #63
onurleft

Default Re: 125mm wheel info compendium - (http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Remember that there are a lot of factors in determining wheel preference. I find the biggest being user weight.
I'm 5'7" 138lbs, which outdoor 125's do you think would work best for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
Hey gsloop, thanks again for your work on this. No second hand info here. The Matter Lethal x is the only indoor wheel. Without question they earned several titles at idn. When skating slick indoor floors the outdoor wheels do work. I have skated every premium wheel on the list and 90% of the cheap stuff. All of the cheap ones are simply training wheels imo.

You get what ya pay for. Even at $30+ ea, both MPC and Matter (banded) have held up for many, many, many miles, and they still out perform the wheels selling for less (unbanded). So...if someone is looking to try 125s, the true value/performance is in the more expensive wheels.

If i had skated the cheaper wheels to begin with, I'd still be on 110s.
I'm currently using a "marathon skate", K2 mod 125. Not a bad stock 7000 Aluminium frame only it's an odd-ball 125 x 120 x 125 Hi-Lo set-up which limits me to their wheels. The boot fits and I'm in no hurry to go back to my Luigino Bolt race boots (injured peroneal tendon). K2 uses a 180 mount on the smaller sizes which would limit me to a 165/195 frame. I toyed with the Atom Luigino P51 3 x 125 frame, it will fit the K2 mod 125 and allow me to run a straight 3 x 125 set-up at essentially the same deck height. The middle wheel closer to carbon fiber outsole then the stock HiLo 120mm, should be inconsequential at my weight and boot size.
So, my question for all, given the said performance differences of the premium 125 wheels over the single band lower cost alternatives, do you guys think it would be worth the $$$ investment for me to swap out the stock frames and wheels? It would certainly allow for different wheel options and easier wheel rotation as they wear. I have skated the stock set-up, very nice roll with great glide but sluggish at accelerating, even compared to my old 4 x 110 set-up!
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #64
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onurleft View Post
I'm currently using a "marathon skate", K2 mod 125. Not a bad stock 7000 Aluminium frame only it's an odd-ball 125 x 120 x 125 Hi-Lo set-up which limits me to their wheels. The boot fits and I'm in no hurry to go back to my Luigino Bolt race boots (injured peroneal tendon). K2 uses a 180 mount on the smaller sizes which would limit me to a 165/195 frame. I toyed with the Atom Luigino P51 3 x 125 frame, it will fit the K2 mod 125 and allow me to run a straight 3 x 125 set-up at essentially the same deck height. The middle wheel closer to carbon fiber outsole then the stock HiLo 120mm, should be inconsequential at my weight and boot size.
So, my question for all, given the said performance differences of the premium 125 wheels over the single band lower cost alternatives, do you guys think it would be worth the $$$ investment for me to swap out the stock frames and wheels? It would certainly allow for different wheel options and easier wheel rotation as they wear. I have skated the stock set-up, very nice roll with great glide but sluggish at accelerating, even compared to my old 4 x 110 set-up!
IMO YES! If you like those boots and they are what you want to skate in then upgrading the frames and wheels is worth the $$$. Anytime you can improve your skating enjoyment with new equipment.....yes.
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #65
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
IMO YES! If you like those boots and they are what you want to skate in then upgrading the frames and wheels is worth the $$$. Anytime you can improve your skating enjoyment with new equipment.....yes.
Agreed! If you like your boots and they are comfortable(which is key), then no reason to change them. Too many people change what is working because of the "new" factor.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #66
reely?

Quote:
Hi Lefty,

I agree with Ken and Jessie, keep your current shoe. As for wheels for your size, I think the Matter F1 will do you well. But MPC bbm xf, xxf or Boom Majic will not disappoint. I'd lean towards a 12.4 or .6 frame for you to start with.

Good luck and have fun.

Spring, TX.
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #67
spdkls

http://bladeville.com/p/wheels-3/pow...0#.WR2S5-vyuM8

Can anybody get these here in the US yet? I like the inifinity's but they are a slow.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #68
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Sorry foe the late reply . . . at your weight, you're good with any wheels (lucky you). I would probably recommend any Matter or MPC outdoor compound wheels (this includes the new Atom Boom Road, since they're made by MPC). If money is an issue, the Atom wheels are the "bargain" wheels at $16 per, vs $30 for the MPCs and $33 for the Matters (all pricing is MSRP and there may be deals out there).

Personally, I prefer the Matter wheels to any other that I have tried. I really like the Code White, which are next to impossible to find in the US right now. I had to order a set from an online store in Denmark recently. Then come the G13 and the F1 One20Five (blue hub).
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #69
onurleft

I picked up a set of MPC black magic xfirm and a set of Matter G13 F1.
The stock K2 "elite speed" 125mm wheel has a 76.5mm hub diameter, shares the same 76.5mm hub with their 120mm wheel. Requires a good deal of urethane to get to 125mm - little wonder they feel sluggish when accelerating from a stop or slow speed! By contrast the MPC black magic hub is 81mm and the Matter G13 87mm. I've yet to try the MPC black magic's and Matter G13's. I suspect I'll like both better then the stock K2 wheels. My hang-up now is that the K2 frame is better centered on the boot then the Luigino 3x125 frame and the Luigino frame has allot of void space between the wheels and any of the frames cross members whereas the Luigino's cross beam bridges are > 1mm from the wheels! I feel the K2 frame will be 100X safer in that the finger width spacing will allow little rocks, twigs and fallen leaves to escape. My Cado Moto Pro IV dual box 4x110mm frame has close gapes like the luigino and in the fall I often have near misses with the pavement due to leaves and twigs getting caught between wheel and frame. Leave it to K2 to screw up a decent frame design by making it a obscure hi-low 125 x 120 x 125! I can see mixing the MPC with one K2 120mm but not the G13 skinny profile cross-section wheel. The K2 125/120mm "tractor wheels", also have a wider profile (cross-section), then the MPC:\ And again, K2 uses a 180mm mount which limits frame options to the 165/195 mount frames (split the difference = 180mm, centering dependent on slot configuration and frame length). I had tried the Powerslide 11.8" 3x125 165/195 frame and the middle wheel was too close to the front mount to clear the boot shell. The 12.8" Luigino 125 frame middle wheel is far enough back to clear it by ~ 1 - 2mm. I doubt the carbon fibre outsole will flex and rub at my size (USA mens 8), just have to decide if I want the slightly forward boot centering (extra tail out), then the stock K2 frame. The 12.6" Luigino 3x125 frame centering is the same as the 12.8" only shorter both front and back so the 12.8" would be the better choice. Stock K2 frame is 12.6" which I actually like. Not sure what I'm going to do, I'm not thrilled about the K2 wheels...and don't like the unsafe factor of the Luigino frame's 1mm gap between wheels and frame cross members:\
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:19 PM   #70
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

After this past weekend's indoor regionals, I decided to take a step "backward" and give a 4x110mm setup a try, since I never tried it. I used to skate a hi-low, which allowed me to step faster than the 3x125mm ever did. I'm going to work on strict form. If I like it, I'll stick with it. If I don't, it'll be a somewhat cheap experiment.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:25 AM   #71
reely?

Quote:
After this past weekend's indoor regionals, I decided to take a step "backward" and give a 4x110mm setup a try, since I never tried it. I used to skate a hi-low, which allowed me to step faster than the 3x125mm ever did. I'm going to work on strict form. If I like it, I'll stick with it. If I don't, it'll be a somewhat cheap experiment.
Did your regionals not go well? If you got beat by someone on 110, id say its not the wheel size it's the motor. Imo if you worked strictly form on the big wheels, you'll improve more than going back to 4x. It takes a while to reely get used to 125s. Not saying you wont do/like 110s better. Just know how much I've Iimproved by staying committed to them. It's your $, unless it free.

Have fun,

Spring, TX.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM   #72
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
Did your regionals not go well? If you got beat by someone on 110, id say its not the wheel size it's the motor. Imo if you worked strictly form on the big wheels, you'll improve more than going back to 4x. It takes a while to reely get used to 125s. Not saying you wont do/like 110s better. Just know how much I've Iimproved by staying committed to them. It's your $, unless it free.

Have fun,
Unless the floor was small. 125's have no advantage on small floors. I don't care what anybody tells me. I know from experience that if you can't run up the floor coming out of the corner, the wheels have no chance to gain momentum. I can't wait to run Orlando's floor for regional's next week.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:14 PM   #73
reely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
Unless the floor was small. 125's have no advantage on small floors. I don't care what anybody tells me. I know from experience that if you can't run up the floor coming out of the corner, the wheels have no chance to gain momentum. I can't wait to run Orlando's floor for regional's next week.
I'm not going there. Imo if the track is set up as the oval instead of traditional usars 4 pylon, I believe the big wheels would do fine. Our current 4 pylon sys is too restrictive for inline speed, especially narrow/small floors. That's a good topic, Indoor Oval track vs 4 pylon track.

Spring, TX.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #74
onurleft

Quote:
Have you seen EOSkates 2x125+110 HiLow frame? 12.6"/44mm front deck height beats EO's 4x110 13.2"/48mm front deck height. For comparison, EO's 110/100 HiLow 12.8"/41mm front deck.
http://www.eoskates.com/Store.php?c=11&p=2504742

I'm curious to hear feedback on that one. If and when I ever go back to a race boot, I'd be very interested in the 2x125+110 frame. I like the idea of the larger wheels lowish deck height and shorter frame. When I went to a low cut race boot, I had downgraded from 4x110 set-up (Bont Semi-Race cheater boot), to a 4x100 Fila frame which has an exceptionally low deck height for a 100mm frame. I waited a few months before moving up to the 4x110 Cado Moto frame. The 4x100 Fila frame was very close to the height of my old Salomon Vitesse 5x80mm skates! Worked because the Luigino Bolt skate's "Pro-E" high arch provided just enough room for the second wheel and the low deck height helped me "acclimate" to the low cut race boot.
Have to say after not being able to use the low-cut race boot I again downgraded to a Marathon boot, an older generation zebra striped K2 Radical Pro which had a goofy 100x100x110x110 HiLow frame 12.8" and although I was noticeably slower, I preferred the shorter frame to the 13.3" 4x110 setups I was using for many years prior.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:40 PM   #75
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Not really a reason why I'm going back, except to work on form without the deck height. My EO frames have to be shimmed in order to clear the center wheel. I have purchased one of David Simmons heating tools to help with this. I still intend to run the 125s outdoors. I also thought of trying a shorter 125 frame, because my 13.2 EO is just too long for indoor use on the 90m practice track we use (175x70 floor).

As for the EO 125/110 hi/lo, I don't want to go through the pains of buying two different wheels sizes and having to rotate them.
Old June 1st, 2017, 01:48 AM   #76
gsloop

Default G13, F1 notes

I found a good deal on some G13 F1's.
[Paypal 20% off, and a good ebay deal - my cost was about $150. Still, that's about what I paid for my used Bont Z's (IIRC) - which seems crazy even if I got the boot's pretty cheap.]

Anyway - cost seizures aside - I've got a couple of light days on them.
Bont Z, 2pt + PS XXX (13.2"?) 3x125 frame.
I weigh ~140-150# [retarded units].

Coming from 4x110mm, Bont Mayhem - most recently skated both 85a and 87a Bont Mayhem wheels.

The G13's roll very well. I like the profile.
Wheel hardness is about in the middle between the two mayhem wheels. ~86a - which is where I've seen the "estimated" hardness - so it's nice that the estimated value matches what I'd give in real-life.

However, if you're comparing to a non-banded [single pour] wheel the numbers are quite different.
An 87a Bont pink is FAR harder (and very dead) than the 87A Meyhem. Same is true for 85A Mayhem vs 85A Mints, or others.

[I suspect anyone willing to shell out the cash for G13's isn't going to confuse an 85a single pour wheel with an 85a dual-banded wheel, but just in case.]

I'd probably prefer the F2, as I do skate some pretty rough pavement - but the F1 is a reasonable compromise. As noted, it [the F1] feels softer than the 87A Meyhems, IMO - and they're "OK" in the same conditions, but not great.

I must say, the G13's are *very* nice wheels.

As an aside: I do believe the 3x125 is faster for me. It's hard to compare apples-to-apples, as the frame changes give opportunity to have differences in alignment and such and it's entirely possible those differences are what feels faster etc. But I felt quite comfortable quite quickly ... but I'm not attempting to eke out every second out of the wheels. I'm pushing to get what I can, but I'm also enjoying the skating too.

TLDR: G13 F1's are about 86A [if compared to other banded wheels I've skated] roll very well and are *very* nice wheels.

[Later: Added to note that my review only applies to outdoor, not rink/indoor. I'm not an indoor skater.]

Last edited by gsloop; June 1st, 2017 at 03:59 AM.
gsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:42 AM   #77
onurleft

^ that is a good deal and thanks for the review.

I actually got a deal in the offseason on a set of G13 F-1's for $164 and change from inlinewarehouse which I thought was pretty good too considering the going $$$ these days.
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #78
gsloop

An update on the G13's [F1]

All things equal, I'd get F2's - I'd rather have something closer to 85A and while these are pretty good, they're still a tad hard for what I want. [But since I couldn't get F2's for the same price, (long story) I got F1's and I'm pretty happy.]

I went out while it was still wet in shaded spots yesterday, and IMO, the G13's are REALLY slick in the wet. Seriously! As bad as anything I've ever been on. I don't skate in the rain often, but I would really hate to be out there on G13's.

And we're just talking places where it was still wet where it hadn't gotten enough direct sun to dry out - not active rain on wet pavement. Perhaps in mitigation - though not much - this is a bike path that probably is a bit "slimy" which makes it more slick. Still, I've skated all these same places on quite a number of different wheels, and on a comparative basis the G13's were still worse than anything else in memory. And it's not always the wet - I've noticed they grip less in places where you're at the end of a push and there's a little debris there too. On good dry stuff, I've not felt it was a problem, but they're not as grippy anywhere as you might expect.

-Greg
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #79
onurleft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsloop View Post

All things equal, I'd get F2's - I'd rather have something closer to 85A and while these are pretty good, they're still a tad hard for what I want. [But since I couldn't get F2's for the same price, (long story) I got F1's and I'm pretty happy.]

I went out while it was still wet in shaded spots yesterday, and IMO, the G13's are REALLY slick in the wet. Seriously! As bad as anything I've ever been on. I don't skate in the rain often, but I would really hate to be out there on G13's.

And we're just talking places where it was still wet where it hadn't gotten enough direct sun to dry out - not active rain on wet pavement. Perhaps in mitigation - though not much - this is a bike path that probably is a bit "slimy" which makes it more slick. Still, I've skated all these same places on quite a number of different wheels, and on a comparative basis the G13's were still worse than anything else in memory. And it's not always the wet - I've noticed they grip less in places where you're at the end of a push and there's a little debris there too. On good dry stuff, I've not felt it was a problem, but they're not as grippy anywhere as you might expect.

-Greg
Thx for the update.

The primary road I skate on is desperately in need of resurfacing, I'm thinking I should exchange my G13 F1's for F2's.

Re: slippage, if comparing apples to apples, i.e., against other 3 x 125mm wheelsets and not a 4 x somethings. I would guess it's more the G13's narrow profile and x-section's smaller contact point then the urethane compound and or F1 86A hardness.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #80
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsloop View Post

I have actually changed my tune a little after spending some time on my MPC Black Track (XF) and Atom Boom Road wheels. They definitely have more grip than any of the three types of Matter wheels that I have skated. (One20Five new profile F1 [blue hub], G13 F1, and Code White).

The Matter wheels feel like they have a little more roll, but in the long run, it seems to take less effort to keep the MPC and Atom wheels going. Not sure why that is. Maybe it's wheel weight, as the Matter wheels are all lighter than both the MPC and Atom wheels. More weight means longer roll when up to speed.

I'm hoping to acquire a set of the Atom Boom Magic XXF (the ones w/ the MPC hubs) soon. I guess we'll see how that goes.