S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:34 PM   #1
AZSHOT

Default And Now for Something Completely Different - Light Plate

Hi all, I've spent the past week trying to decide what would be the perfect plate for my "alternate" set of skates. My main skates are about how I want them, Oberhamer 61 boots, DA 45 XK-4 plate, yellow cushions, Cannibal orange wheels. They are comfortable and I can zip around and turn at 90deg angles practically. I'm in my 50s, and still pretty fast after a long lay off of decades. But I got to wondering, would a "modern" plate on an even lighter speed boot make me noticeably faster? Could I skate my Oberhamers most of the adult night, then switch to my "speed rig" for the 2 songs they do speed skating and be amazed at the difference? What would that rig be? (I always thought an XK-4 45 was THE speed plate, back in the day!)

At first I thought I'd go with Snyder Royal. 45 degrees and supposedly even more agile. But I'm not finding any consensus about the key decision of degree of trucks for speed skating versus turning. Some say a 45 degree (which I like and have skated since the 1970s) is "no good for speed". So I started looking at actual "speed plates" that are more like a 10 degree. I looked at the Snyder Advantage. But I did have a 10 degree XK-4 on my Oberhamers and hated it's restrictive movement. I swapped in a XK-4DA 45 and it's much better. I don't notice any more push with a 10 degree, or less stability with a 10-15 deg. The only people that can approach me are 1 guy that runs some high end modern setup, and looks about 50 lbs lighter than me, and a couple guys in their young 20s. And that is barely. I weight 185 by the way, 6ft 1".
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:37 PM   #2
AZSHOT

Here are the boots that are getting the new plates. Riedell 295s, lined (thanks Randy!).

What do I want to do? I want something that is fun to skate on in crowded sessions, but is a little different than my main pair with the DA45. But I don't want to restrict my skating to having to go in straight lines only, or learn to turn on the "edges" or whatever. I like to lean, and turn. At speed, I want good push, and can handle any degree angle. Should I go Royals, or would that be too much like what I have? Advantage, and try a lower angle truck one more time? Once these skates are drilled, I don't want to have to mess them up again with other screw holes if I don't like the plates....I love the boots!

Part of me thinks that since 90% of my skating is just fast shuffle and session, why sweat getting Olympics class speed plates. I'm not getting any younger.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:39 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Technically a 5 degree plate is faster because more energy gets to the wheels

Snyder advantage plates are 18 degrees

If you want speed get on rollerblades
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Rollmazicon

The Arius is lighter than just about anything and a true 45 degrees.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
AZSHOT

I should clarify my wants:

- metal plate (or I'd have to be really convinced I need the lightness of synthetic material). I am used to heavy plates, and shaving a few OZ is not important. But I did feel my son's new Imperials, and don't want a lead brick on my feet! Just something about as light as the XK-4 or less.

- speed is what speed does. I easily pass the guys that run inlines at my speed sessions. I'm not trying to compete regionally, no one seems to do that anymore on quads anyway. What I want is the fastest I can reasonably go on quads, with a metal plate.

I know the Theory is that 5-15 degrees puts more energy to the floor. I don't notice a difference, other than I can't turn. What does the Practice show? Are people on 45 deg plates non-competitive? Does switching to a 5 deg plate make everyone 25% faster? What kind of lap times or proof is there? Because again, I always skated 45 deg plates, and the old ones were made in 45 degree for speed skating. Did science suddenly learn that the 1970s - 1980s were wrong, and that those plates were mistakes? Or can it be personal preference? What do the fastest speed skaters today use, for angle of trucks? Any use 45, or is that like buggy whips?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:39 PM   #6
AZSHOT

I guess I'm asking is how much did equipment and technique improve the times over the decades in quad speed skating? I see a lot of the same techniques and apparent speed. Perhaps I just need an 8/10ths solution that is more versatile (more angle to the trucks).

1950s?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxELKYMsUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9vO7T_ztc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODHR-u8cgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-QfIL0pqk
Old April 3rd, 2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Or can it be personal preference? What do the fastest speed skaters today use, for angle of trucks? Any use 45, or is that like buggy whips?
100% personal preference. There is a whole array of stuff out on the track. Single action, double action and kingpins at every angle.

If you want to stay with a DA45, check out the Avenger. The take tons of abuse and are much lighter than an XK4.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 05:21 PM   #8
AZSHOT

Thanks for that short answer. I'll check that one out too. I want something that is reliable, and has different cushion duro types too, which it looks like that one uses the SG super cushions. I just weighed my XK-4 with no wheels or toe stops, 650 grams
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Another short one.

Look @ the RD Elite mag Axis plate. True 45 king pin, no pivot adjustments to play with. Wheel base goes up in .25" increments. I'm liking mine a lot after some judicious fiddling. I may get around to a review in a day or 5.
Oh, BTW, my 6.25 weighs in @ 425 grams and it is flat black w/ white letters.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; April 3rd, 2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added stuff
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #10
HeBeGB

Quick way to drop some weight is to go for an NTS plate.
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #11
AZSHOT

Last night I loosened up my yellow cushions on my XK-4 DAs about a half turn, to see if the infamous "unstable....won't go straight on one foot....lose power at full extension crossover" problems came up. No, they didn't. Though going backwards, they felt a little squirrelly so I tightened them back a bit after the experiment.

Results? I like 45 degree, or 30, or somewhere that gives a lot of lean and turn. Since only 2 songs out of 20 on Adult Night are Speed, and since as I get older, I'll probably stop doing speed, I better stick with what I know and like: maneuverable 45 degree plates.

So I'm zeroing in on either Snyder Royals and the Avenger Magnesium. Big price difference.... Also perhaps I would take a chance on less of an angle truck, with the Advantage.
Old April 4th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #12
ascar larkinyar
Remebering how to rex

Just go to the gym and improve your strength to weight ratio. Easier and more effective than spending money on skates to go faster.
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #13
AZSHOT

Ya know, I notice a lot of people on this forum reply to people to "lose 20 lbs....go to the gym..." to become faster. That's pretty personal. And telling a stranger to go to the gym and get in shape is easier and more effective than buying skates is similarly flawed logic. We skate because we like to. I want to optimize my equipment because I'm already in shape. Are you?

Let me just say I work out including weights, hike and backpack into the wilderness, ride my mules, and walk many miles a week. I'm 6"1' and 185lbs and 53 years old. I can outwalk and out speed skate most people in their 20s.

Now....how old are you and what are your stats? (kind of rude, aint it?)

Careful, or I'll give you the 22 pushups for 22 days challenge, like my Navy buddy did to me a few months ago! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61CnBppevDI
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:44 AM   #14
ascar larkinyar
Remebering how to rex

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Ya know, I notice a lot of people on this forum reply to people to "lose 20 lbs....go to the gym..." to become faster. That's pretty personal. And telling a stranger to go to the gym and get in shape is easier and more effective than buying skates is similarly flawed logic. We skate because we like to. I want to optimize my equipment because I'm already in shape. Are you?

Let me just say I work out including weights, hike and backpack into the wilderness, ride my mules, and walk many miles a week. I'm 6"1' and 185lbs and 53 years old. I can outwalk and out speed skate most people in their 20s.

Now....how old are you and what are your stats? (kind of rude, aint it?)

Careful, or I'll give you the 22 pushups for 22 days challenge, like my Navy buddy did to me a few months ago! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61CnBppevDI

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. And yes at 54 I am still in the top 10 of most bike racing sports I do in my age division nationally. I am 5'9", 150lbs, 5-7% body fat. Been the same weight and shape up or down within 5 lbs since 18 years old.

In bike racing we get this question a lot and my answer still holds true. It's good advice. Upgrade the body before the equipment. If the OP is in great shape then no worries. If not getting healthy can not hurt. It's not the easy route of course.

Glad to hear your in shape. 22 pushup for 22 days? Waaaaaaaaay past that on a regular workout routine. Let's go for a 5-10 hour bike ride at 275-325 watts....
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:52 PM   #15
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascar larkinyar View Post
Glad to hear your in shape. 22 pushup for 22 days? Waaaaaaaaay past that on a regular workout routine. Let's go for a 5-10 hour bike ride at 275-325 watts....
I might get warm from 22 pushups
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote