S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old December 19th, 2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Miss Behaved

Default Quick help please, before I buy Deadbolt Scuffbusters???

Are Deadbolt Scuffbusters toe guards any good? Worth the money? Have you personally used them and did/did not like them? Why? They seam light and not clunky.

In an archive search I turned up a thread from 2011. Derby Vixen, seems she is still in business, 58skate muzzles seems to be gone from the scene?

I'm getting my gear together and I need some form of toe guards quick and dirty to protect my brand new derby skates. I don't want to gum them up with guerilla tape straight out of the box. What's a girl to do??? Miss Bee
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Miss Behaved

I guess I can conclude that they are not popular. Hmm...
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Behaved View Post
I guess I can conclude that they are not popular. Hmm...
I wouldn't expect an answer about toe guards in the derby subforums so quickly

At $20, you could always order some, test them out, and let us know how it goes
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Rollmazicon

For what its worth, I'm a fan of Tuff Toe. You just need to make sure you don't botch the application.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #5
Miss Behaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
I wouldn't expect an answer about toe guards in the derby subforums so quickly

At $20, you could always order some, test them out, and let us know how it goes
Thanks I'm still learning here. I also realize we are in the off season.

I'm a zebra in training so I may just try them and do a report. Great idea. I'm also thinking if they don't destroy quickly from my outdoor skating, I may try to coat the cordura if they start to fray.
Old December 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default If your into DIY

You can make your own without much hassle. Even put the part between your boot and plate to keep it still.

I got some canvas around the house and could try my hand at it. Canvas is cheap, and can easily make a template or a piece of the toe guard you could reinforce. The folds would be somewhat like the way the make pool tables felt flat in the corners.

Basically youd put a square between your boot and plate, cut 2 slits in the fabric where it come out from the end of the boot at 45 degree angles from the tip. With the 2 spots originating from say the left /right of your toes (big toe/pinky toe) and fold them over the boot. Once you have the size right, adding holes for a small lace would be easy. To make them strong , one could add layers of tuff toe/shoegoo and canvas. Or leather even. Raw Leather tends to become very stiff when shoegoo is really pushed down into the fibers.

If you dont want it between the boot and plate, after its built, you can always modify the guard where the boot used to hold it and make the toestop boss hold it. Or jist set it up like that from the start.

Ill have to try it myself, but my motivation lately is lacking:/
Old December 27th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #7
Miss Behaved

Thanks for the ideas. One plus for Scuffbusters is that by loosening the laces a lot you can get a wrench behind to adjust the stop jam nuts without taking the covers completely off. That will help me as a newbie still finding my toe grip height.
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #8
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Derby Vixen FTW

Absolutely none better.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/derbyvixen
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #9
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default $55?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Absolutely none better.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/derbyvixen

The same toe guards from the link are available on Ebay for $8-$20. They are made in China. I've ordered several pairs. I do not like the way they make the toes of my skates look. Too boxy and chunky looking. There is a guy on Ebay that makes the standard toe guard (like Riedell or Sure Grip). What's cool is he has them in a lot of colors and he customizes them with names, numbers, and logos. I've heard he is also on Facebook but I cannot confirm that as I am not on Facebook. He is located in England and the leather is very good quality. And he makes and ships them very quickly. We have a leather/luggage repair shop in my town and I have had them make me some as well. They made them while I waited and stamped them with my name and logo. I would definitely check your local area for a leather shop.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrob View Post
The same toe guards from the link are available on Ebay for $8-$20.
Last time I checked, Susan hand makes them and has for many years. I did a quick check, and don't see anything on eBay that even looks close. Got a link?
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #11
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Last time I checked, Susan hand makes them and has for many years. I did a quick check, and don't see anything on eBay that even looks close. Got a link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291950653804...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is just one of them. But if you check the seller, they have just about anything you can imagine. And you can contact them for something from your own mind. But I still highly recommend going to a local leather shop. These are just for if you want to try a bunch for not a lot of money.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:25 AM   #12
Dekindy

Default Made from paracord by derby for derby

https://www.etsy.com/shop/snarkyparts1223

Made to order from paracord.
Dekindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:04 PM   #13
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrob View Post
This is just one of them. But if you check the seller, they have just about anything you can imagine. And you can contact them for something from your own mind. But I still highly recommend going to a local leather shop. These are just for if you want to try a bunch for not a lot of money.
Interesting. They are certainly the same general design, but I don't think they're of the same manufacture, nor of the same quality. I've seen a number of the Derby Vixen guards personally and they are first rate.

I do agree at that $15 you can play a little.
Old February 21st, 2017, 03:42 AM   #14
Miss Behaved

OK here's my update. My pink scuffbusters are holding up well. I did have issues. I had to mount the nose cap pinched between the boot and plate for the best fit. The strap for me works best laced under my lace crosses. They hold better in that position and look much nicer. The thick steel grommet was an issue until I crushed it flat with a 5/8" bolt, washers and nut. This may only be a problem on Pilot Zytel plates with the clunky toe stopper jam nuts. (the new raptor plates eliminate the nut). I still had problems with the Mota Monster stops too low. I eliminated the heavy nut by drilling and tapping the plate thread inserts and installing a set screw. (if anyone needs this fix I will post a complete how to). From there the SBs work great. They are light weight too.

I put my Jacksons on an intense diet. I got rid of the Mota Monsters for new lighter Super Gumballs, got rid of the hefty jam nuts and treated my skates to Royal Assassins. Much better! Yes Virginia, wheel weight is important. A girl on my team has the exact same Jackson skate with Poisons. My size eleven is noticably lighter than her size five.

Another girl on a different team was admiring my wheels so I lent her four of mine. I put my wheels on her left skate her wheels on the right. She skated a dozen laps and was amazed at the dramatic difference. She ordered them from Bont on line while I swapped my wheels back. Giggle. I just love to help. Miss Bee