S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old July 18th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #1
The Shuffler

Default New Jersey PA and NY Rink changes

Just a heads up Jersey PA and NY rinks change
Franklin Skating Center now know as Sk8 47 new owner and up dates
to the sound system and lighting
Holiday Skating Center Delanco the owner past and now the son own all 3 rinks Palace and Cherry Hill
up date to the play list with more up beat music to the sound and lighting system
to the Holiday rink, Jackson new Manger and a more skatable play list
Roller Jam and BBP still the same
Colin rink in PA is now only hockey!! no more skating sessions there
The Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Questions on the New Owners

Hey Thanks A LoT,,

<Franklin Skating Center now known as Sk8 47 new owner and up dates
to the sound system and lighting >

Is the new owner a skater. I find it makes a difference in how a place is run...
Skaters, rink skaters in particular, understand and want to also skate.

OK Name I can now remember the Route Number.. Still have to get to it.

<Holiday Skating Center Delanco the owner past and now the son own all 3 rinks Palace and Cherry Hill. Up date to the play list with more up beat music to the sound and lighting system>

Now I have skated at two of those places and each has some improvements I would make to the floor area or the flow. Palace and Holiday, with Palace particularly needing some improvements, like skate rentals.

Again is the owner a REAL Rink Skater. Up here in Mass I have seen the transfer to a non skating owner and the skating experience is not quite as good. They know the money yet not the skating.

Hopefully Skate Skooters and Skate Mates are not in their future.

Thanks again for the update.
Yours in Skating, MA/NY and yes PA originally Skating Dave
Old July 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #3
JHB
Shuffling Member

Sk8 47's new owner is an awesome skater. I haven't been able to make a session since Jim took over, thanks to my job, but all the NJ/PA skaters on Facebook seem to be very happy.

I wish I knew exactly who is now the owner of Palace, Holiday, and Cherry Hill. Back in my speedskating days, I skated for Cherry Hill Omni, and skated with a couple of the Rendfreys - I even went to Nationals with one of them as a relay partner. They are a skate family without a doubt... I just don't know whether they actually get out on the floors these days.

South Amboy is still under repair from the roof collapse this past winter; it's taking a while, but the good news is they have every intent to reopen. EWNB is still planned to be there, but if SA isn't finished in time, Jackson is the official alternate location.

Jackson has new management, and again, I haven't been there due to work, but all the reports from NJ/PA skaters on Facebook are great.

The Palace does have skate mates, but only on Saturday mornings - they're not available for any other public sessions. I can't speak for any of the other rinks re: skate mates.

Bottom Line: If you're in the PA/NJ/NY area, and not skating these rinks, YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!

Last edited by JHB; July 26th, 2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Extra info for PA/NJ/NY rinks
JHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Gee

South Amboy Roller Rink has it electrical working. Some of coffee clutch regulars even got to skate on 15 ft of wood. More is on order to complete the floor.
Old September 10th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #5
JHB
Shuffling Member

Cherry Hill (NJ) and Palace (PA) just recoated their floors.
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Gee

Live organ music returns to Mount Gretna Roller Rink. Kathy Long Collins will be playing the Hammond organ on Saturday from 7:30 PM to 10:30 PM for the months of October through April.

Mount Gretna Roller Rink
1st Street & Route 117
Mt. Gretna Heights, PA
717-964-3631
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #7
larryoracing

Smile I can't believe all the rinks that play organ music.

Why do all these rinks play organ music?

Are they not to far from one another?

They must be "competitive artistic rinks"?

Fantastic!

I'm jealous!

Do they get a lot of people showing up?

Thank you,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:21 PM   #8
Gee

Organ music seems popular for adult skating at rinks in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Jackson Skating Center in Jackson, New Jersey started having organ music on Tuesday. The session is from 10:00 AM to 12:30 AM which is bad for me because it coincides with work.

At Holiday, I have seen about two dozen people who attend on Tuesday organ night. It is a much more comfortable skating environment that Saturday when there maybe a hundred teens running about in all directions.
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #9
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
Sk8 47's new owner is an awesome skater. I haven't been able to make a session since Jim took over, thanks to my job, but all the NJ/PA skaters on Facebook seem to be very happy.

I wish I knew exactly who is now the owner of Palace, Holiday, and Cherry Hill. Back in my speedskating days, I skated for Cherry Hill Omni, and skated with a couple of the Rendfreys - I even went to Nationals with one of them as a relay partner. They are a skate family without a doubt... I just don't know whether they actually get out on the floors these days.

South Amboy is still under repair from the roof collapse this past winter; it's taking a while, but the good news is they have every intent to reopen. EWNB is still planned to be there, but if SA isn't finished in time, Jackson is the official alternate location.

Jackson has new management, and again, I haven't been there due to work, but all the reports from NJ/PA skaters on Facebook are great.

The Palace does have skate mates, but only on Saturday mornings - they're not available for any other public sessions. I can't speak for any of the other rinks re: skate mates.

Bottom Line: If you're in the PA/NJ/NY area, and not skating these rinks, YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!
yes the same family you skated with own Cherry Hill,Palace and Holiday. They used to own Echelon but since sold the property years ago
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Gee

Chester Fried wrote a RinkSider article about Theodore W. Rendfrey back in 2014.

http://rinksider.com/?wpfb_dl=409
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Steeped in their Historical Culture

Hi Larry, Glad to see you again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Why do all these rinks play organ music?

Larry O
It is not all the time, it is only when the crowds or a special occasion comes up like Columbus Day or Christmas. CHSC can correct me. He has a son who is now quite a skater. Saw him this October 2016 at Holiday Skate.

Quote:
o - o
Do they get a lot of people showing up? o-o
Larry O
A Good Crowd, Still room for movement, yet the Holiday Skate floor is kind of Big so it works out OK. BtW I do not like the wrinkle on the front side, yet most of the regulars adapted well. I did skate sideways for a bit with a guy who said he once did the bowls on his quads. So again room, and I can imagine you could do a Camel easy in the middle.

Quote:
o - o
They must be "competitive artistic rinks"? o - o
Larry O
Don't know for sure, yet on Columbus Skate they break up the session into time for general skating and some time for Art Skating. So you get to see Art Skaters doing some of their learned craft. Now they don't do everything that you would see at an only Art event, like competitive dance yet it is still awesome to see skaters that can skate hard in general do their art moves.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 476 I-276 Plymouth Meeting,PA Skate Places for Kids

Hi,

Wondering from you PA/NJ skaters which places would be good and a short distance from Plymouth Meeting, PA. That is at the intersection of the NE PA Extension I-476 and the PA Turnpike.

I have grand daughter North of there that might let me take her skating, yet Holiday and maybe even the Palace on Roosevelt Ave might be too far. I would like to also find a good kids' instructor so that she could continue IF I got her to skate at least once. She is a challenge to say the least.

Old October 30th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #13
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Wondering from you PA/NJ skaters which places would be good and a short distance from Plymouth Meeting, PA. That is at the intersection of the NE PA Extension I-476 and the PA Turnpike.
A good rink in the Plymouth Meeting area is Palace. From my Plymouth Meeting office at 1 IMS Drive (close to I-476), it is about a 24 mile drive.

Palace Roller Skating Center
11586 Roosevelt Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19116-3032
215-698-8000

Quote:
Saw him this October 2016 at Holiday Skate.
BtW I do not like the wrinkle on the front side, yet most of the regulars adapted well.
I was there for the Columbus Day Jamboree. That wrinkle along the side with the barrier is a bit annoying. For dance, I do not spend much time in that section and for session skate, it takes me less than 2 seconds to skate through that side of the rink so it is not much of a bother.

I usually skate there on Tuesday night. That is when organ music is played. They break up the session between all skate and dance skate. There are at least four competitors who stay after club practice to skate session. One can sometimes be seen helping out a beginner get comfortable on rolling in skates.

The Tuesday night session at Holiday is not crowded and they are trying to get more people to attend. There are adult skaters from North New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware who regularly attended the Tuesday night session at Holiday.

The Saturday night non-organ music session is very crowded. The rink gets filled with hundreds of young children all moving about crazily to hip-hop music. I have not been there on a Friday night but I think their Friday night session is probably just as crowded as Saturday night.
Old October 31st, 2016, 05:49 AM   #14
larryoracing

Smile Hey guys thanks for all the posts!

I have become a "club" skater, skating when the rink is closed and taking a lot of private lessons. So, I really don't skate sessions any more. My friends have become the mothers in the rink, girls who are art skaters and going to competitions. But I really appreciate all the post about art skating, organ music and sessions that show off art skills of skaters.

Thank you very much,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #15
Newskaterink

I was in NJ/NY from the mid '80s to 2002. Not just with skating (I understand that is the topic here) but in many industries and fields the same thing did and does happen.

The business cyclic is more volatile here than most other parts of the country.
Newskaterink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thanks about the Palace,

Hi Gee,

Now I have been there a few times when my son lived really close in BenSalem on Street Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
A good rink in the Plymouth Meeting area is Palace. From my Plymouth Meeting office at 1 IMS Drive (close to I-476), it is about a 24 mile drive.

Palace Roller Skating Center
11586 Roosevelt Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19116-3032

o - o
I am going to have to time the ride. She lives just North of Plymouth Meeting in Blue Bell. If I can find a good instructor it would be nice for my GrandDaughter. YET She is a particular little girl, Like her mama, my daughter. She doesn't like to take the little active one (a 1 yr old boy) in a car seat for too long.

Almost took my skates for Thanksgiving. Hey one of our kids my son, hosted us just to the NorthEast in Warington, PA. My wife convinced me we had a busy schedule and I would not have time for skating. She was correct...

I am going to take my Skates for Christmas, since we are going down there again on the 22Dec. Again a busy time, yet maybe little less than TDay.

BTW the Homewood Suites by Hilton is a pretty nice place and brand new. Tough to find and get to,, yet still very nice

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; December 5th, 2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: OK Warington is East of the NE Extenstion
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default The Skate Head Halo

Hi Gee,

Since we were both at Holiday in Oct, I thought it was interesting to talk to the one gal, who had more than one concussion during Art Skating. If I remember right she fell backwards each time doing something complex.

She had on her head, this interesting thing like an Angle Halo. She bought it from Canada.

Anyway, we talked for awhile in the concessions area and then went back to skating. I told her about my falls as well.

Fun hearing other skaters injuries, once you had your own share of strange, unexpected stuff.
Old December 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #18
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Head protection

Quote:
Hi Gee,

Since we were both at Holiday in Oct, I thought it was interesting to talk to the one gal, who had more than one concussion during Art Skating. If I remember right she fell backwards each time doing something complex.

She had on her head, this interesting thing like an Angle Halo. She bought it from Canada.

Anyway, we talked for awhile in the concessions area and then went back to skating. I told her about my falls as well.

Fun hearing other skaters injuries, once you had your own share of strange, unexpected stuff.
Three weeks ago at an adult skate, I was skating backwards. I had someone run into my skates and took my feet out from under me. It happened so quickly, I didn't even realize I was falling until my butt hit the floor(hard). Then the rest of the upper torso whipped back to where I hit my head. I was wearing the CrascheŽ Soccer Middie:
http://crasche.com/products#

Minimal protection, but it saved my bacon. I did not split my head open. They have several different styles. You may have to check with your rink to see what head gear they allow on the floor. Many rinks have hat restrictions.

Keep rollin

p.s. after that experience, I am ordering another piece of Crasche headgear.
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #19
JHB
Shuffling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Chester Fried wrote a RinkSider article about Theodore W. Rendfrey back in 2014.

http://rinksider.com/?wpfb_dl=409
Sadly, Chester Fried passed away yesterday.