S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Greenhornetuk

Default Roll Line Plates Query

Hi everyone

I've been lurking this forum for a while but have decided to sign up as I could use some info that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

I'm about to upgrade my plates and I'm looking at both the Roll Line Variant M and the Mistral. Just trying to decide if the Mistral is worth the extra money and what the main differences are with regards to performance. I understand the Mistral has different suspension rubbers, comes with a better toestop and is likely a bit lighter but the click action steering system has me baffled. Not sure what it is and if it is a significant upgrade on the Variant.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greenhornetuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Phoenix177

I ended up buying a Variant cheap last year, because I'd wanted to try a Roll Line for AGES. Loved the action, very fun, very smooth. So much so that 6mth later I went for the Mistral, partly suckered in with the shiny factor.

It is definitely worth the extra cash, but I find it hard to put my finger on why. It is smoother and just feels nicer to skate, like an upgrade.

The click action is simply an adjustment on the screw thread...rather than having a full 360 screw it has 8 (I think) "clicks". In theory it means you can't refine the action as much, but 1/8 of a turn is at least what I make when I adjust anyhow & this way you know you've adjusted it the same on each truck.

I got mine from J&P Sports in Essex, they're a lovely couple and they stock them the cheapest of anywhere I've found.
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I`m no metalist by any stretch but the Variant says "Aircraft aluminum" which could mean anything really. It doesn`t say what grade, 6000 or 7000 or ?, it just says aircraft. The Mistral on the other hand says "2024 aluminum" and there again I don`t know what that means. BUT I do know this, I have skated a Variant and loved it. Yeah, its a little heavy but it truly does well. Not sure how the Mistral skates. I`m sure it has a different feel being a different grade of aluminum but is it worth another $200+, not to me but thats me.
And to add to what Phoenix said, the action is pretty simple. The bottom cushion retainer has detents on it and the adjuster nut has one. Whenever you loosen or tighten the adjuster nut it clicks to let you know its made an 1/8th of turn one way or the other. Now the Variant, on the other hand, does not have the click action and I prefer it better. Like mentioned above, its easier to fine tune it, you don`t have to turn the nut 1/8th of turn which can be alot.
Another thing though, the Variants come with rubber cushions and the Mistral with urethanes if I`m not mistaken but that stuff is all interchangeable.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
I`m no metalist by any stretch but the Variant says "Aircraft aluminum" which could mean anything really. It doesn`t say what grade, 6000 or 7000 or ?, it just says aircraft. The Mistral on the other hand says "2024 aluminum" and there again I don`t know what that means. BUT I do know this, I have skated a Variant and loved it. Yeah, its a little heavy but it truly does well. Not sure how the Mistral skates. I`m sure it has a different feel being a different grade of aluminum but is it worth another $200+, not to me but thats me.
And to add to what Phoenix said, the action is pretty simple. The bottom cushion retainer has detents on it and the adjuster nut has one. Whenever you loosen or tighten the adjuster nut it clicks to let you know its made an 1/8th of turn one way or the other. Now the Variant, on the other hand, does not have the click action and I prefer it better. Like mentioned above, its easier to fine tune it, you don`t have to turn the nut 1/8th of turn which can be alot.
Another thing though, the Variants come with rubber cushions and the Mistral with urethanes if I`m not mistaken but that stuff is all interchangeable.

All Roll-lines skate the same (same geometry models anyway.) The difference between the models is materials and click action adjustment.

The Variant handles like the Matrix. It just lacks titanium and click action and has rubber cushions instead of uerathane...and will save you $700. I have the Energy. The GF has the variant.

I have skated on Sure-Grip Century, Snyder Super Deluxe, Labeda Pro-Line and Roll-Line Energy. The Roll-line, by far, is the best performing plate I have ever skated on.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Roll-line Mistral Plates

I have posted this note in the Quad Skate Forum however I thought I would post it in the Artistic Forum as well since we donít see a lot of Roll-Line product reviews. This may help those planning to purchase and wanting to know what other Roll-Line owners experience and think about their plates. I love mine!
Congratulations on your new Roll Line Mistral Plates! As you can see by my Avatar Picture I have had my Mistral Plates for 2 years and appreciate and enjoy them more as my skills increase. My boot is an 8 1/2 Menís and I chose a 160 MM Mistral Plate Short Standard mounted. This works well for my style of skating which is a mix of Artistic and JB style. You will find that choosing the right cushions is very important with the Roll Line's and will make a significant difference in performance. At 150 Lbs. I have found the clear blue barrels (upper cushion) and gray (lower cushions) urethane work well for me. This would be considered somewhat stiff for some but as I do a lot of spins, one leg spins as well as jumps I find the stiffness works well as the cushions don't collapse or compress too much and throw me off balance especially when doing jumps and inside or outside back spins. I am able to loosen the action simply and quickly with the click stop adjustment nut and change it back and know exactly how tight or loose it is just by counting the clicks. If you do not have the right cushions you will be sadly disappointed in the performance of your skates. I cannot emphasize this enough. I have skated these plates 2 or 3 times a week for a total of 6 hours for 2 years and they still look like new. They are also very easy to clean. This is a reasonably lite very stable and yet agile plate that performs well and will stand the test of time. Keep us informed and let us know what you think of them as we do not see a lot of people posting performance updates on Roll Line products that they have purchased. :-)
As I stated in my earlier post I have had my Roll Line Mistral Plates for over 2 years and the original axel nuts are still looking and functioning well. Since the axel nuts are somewhat unique after about a year I ordered a backup set of axel nuts along with two sets of urethane cushions green and gray and a set of dance plugs from Skates US. These were delivered to my door within a week of placing the order.
You can obtain 7MM bearings from most Quad Roller-Skate distributors. I have found the Bones Reds bearing easily obtainable from most distributors and they seem to work well as long as they are maintained.
It has been argued that Roll-Line products are somewhat more expensive than Sure grip. The initial outlay may be more that other brands however the quality of their product is second to none. I have not had to replace any parts on my mistrals and they still look and function exactly as they did when new.
As an update I have now had my Roll-line Mistral Plates for over 3 years and they still look and perform like new! I am always impressed with how well they work for me. I have not owned the Variant but as I understand, the action is the same.
Cheers,
Dan
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:48 AM   #6
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Cushions: A Common Oversight

A common oversight when ordering Roll Line Plates for the first time is that we neglect to specify what cushion hardness we will require. As a result, quite often the plates are shipped with the standard cushions for the plate size we have ordered. Generally speaking we will find that these cushions are too hard. We then have no recourse but to place a second order for cushions at a more appropriate hardness for our weight and style of skating. We can avoid this added time and expense by specifying what cushions hardness we will require when ordering. If we are not sure we can contact the distributor by phone or e-mail and indicate our weight and what style of skating we intend to do. Most distributors will be more than happy to suggest the appropriate cushions for our weight and style of skating and make the necessary changes before shipping the plates.
That being said, after you have had your Roll Line Plates for a while, and are more familiar with their handling characteristics it might be an idea to experiment by trying a few different cushion configurations. It is possible that you might happily discover as yet untapped potential and find that the optimal performance point of these plates is much greater than you had first surmised.
Cheers,
Dan
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Roll-line Plates: Differences

Heres some info for you:
All of the Roll-Line plates (except for 3) are designed exactly the same and respond exactly the same (excepting the difference between rubber and urethane cushions, of course). The differences are in the features and weight (as the more expensive models use lighter weight material). Below is a quick overview the standard Roll-Line models that have toe stops (all of these have standard 15 degree kingpin):

Variant M - rubber cushions, straight toe stops, NO click adjustment

Mariner Cup - rubber cushions, directional toe stops, click adjustment, lighter material than Variant

Mistral - same as Mariner Cup, but has urethane cushions and lighter material

Energy Steel - same as Mistral but with lighter material, also available in half-sizes

Energy Titanium - same as Energy but with lighter material (titanium axle and pivot point)

------------------------------

Matrix - this is similar in materials to the Energy Titanium and also has a 15 degree kingpin. However, it uses a shorter upper cushion (and shorter kingpin) to lower the height of the plate by 4.5mm. Also uses different truck.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:22 AM   #8
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Doc Sk8s Roll-line Cushion Durometer Chart

At some point I expect you'll be asking about Roll-line Cushions so I am reposting this for information purposes.
I'll run the durometer across them. There is a difference between the 3 rubber and 5 Urethane cushions as far as Soft Medium and Hard...

Here is the data. First we will do the Urethane cushions...

Yellow 88-90 shore A. Recommended for 157 pounds and up.... ()
Clear 84-85 shore A. Recommended for 123.5 to 156 pounds ....
Blue 79-80 shore A. Recommended for 101.5 to 123 pounds ....
Gray 74-75 shore A. Recommended for 79.0 to 101 pounds ....
Green 70-71 shore A. Recommended for 78 pounds and less ....

Here are the rubber ones...
Yellow (Don't have any) Recommended for 112 pounds and up ....
Natural 74-75 shore A. Recommended for 79.0 to 111 pounds less ....
Green 70-71 shore A. Recommended for 78 pounds and less ....

NOTE 1: The Yellow rubber cushions are about comparable to the blue urethane cushions..so the hardest rubber is about a medium in urethane...
Note 2: The weight recommendations are Roll Line's NOT MINE... I can't figure out how anyone can sk8 on the clears or yellows. I can't break them and I run 230 lbs... I run the greens with the clicker backed all the way off...

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Dan
Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #9
filthymcnasty

I'm on my second set of Variants. The new model has some of it machined out to make it lighter. You can put the urethane cushions in them, and they work just fine. I'm over 200lbs, and run the green urethane with no problems, although I don't run them all the way loose.

As far as reliability, I've never had a problem with my plates. You can pretty much set them and forget them. I'm big, and have played a lot of stompy derby in them, and have not broken a truck.

I don't see the extra features in the Mistral being worth the 200 dollars. Just upgrade the cushions if you want urethane. My first set of toe stops lasted me more than two seasons.
filthymcnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Greenhornetuk

Thanks a bunch for the replies and info guys. I'm gonna go with the Variant and see how I get on with it. Will put the extra towards some snazzy custom Bonts
Greenhornetuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornetuk View Post
Thanks a bunch for the replies and info guys. I'm gonna go with the Variant and see how I get on with it. Will put the extra towards some snazzy custom Bonts
That is a very nice combo. You will certainly enjoy that setup.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Tuesday Girl

I've been skating my Variant M's for 5 1/2 years, at least once a week, sometimes twice and haven't replaced anything but the toe stops. I rarely adjust them! As soon as they arrived, I took off the massive toe stops and put in Roll Line dance plugs, and have replaced those once, but the last few years I don't even really use the plugs for stopping or much else, so they are not wearing down as fast. I like to jam skate, so that's why I ditched the large stoppers. About 6 months ago it seemed the suspension was looser, and I wondered if the cushions were wearing down (they might be) but I simply tightened the trucks a few turns and am still skating on the original rubber cushions. One other really good girl skater got Variant M's a few years ago and she loves them too. I only skated crappy Sure Grip plates before these, so I don't have much of a comparison story, but I'm very happy! You will love them. By the way, I weigh 130 so it's not like I'm abusing the cushions every week!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #13
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
I've been skating my Variant M's for 5 1/2 years, at least once a week, sometimes twice and haven't replaced anything but the toe stops. I rarely adjust them! As soon as they arrived, I took off the massive toe stops and put in Roll Line dance plugs, and have replaced those once, but the last few years I don't even really use the plugs for stopping or much else, so they are not wearing down as fast. I like to jam skate, so that's why I ditched the large stoppers. About 6 months ago it seemed the suspension was looser, and I wondered if the cushions were wearing down (they might be) but I simply tightened the trucks a few turns and am still skating on the original rubber cushions. One other really good girl skater got Variant M's a few years ago and she loves them too. I only skated crappy Sure Grip plates before these, so I don't have much of a comparison story, but I'm very happy! You will love them. By the way, I weigh 130 so it's not like I'm abusing the cushions every week!
IMHO, your natural rubber cushions dried up after a year, it would be so worth it to put the lite blue roll line urethane cushions in, or at least cleaning and lubricating the present, but, that's just my opinion.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Bondagekitten
Trainee Derby Ref

I am contemplating switching to roll lines. Am in the UK so fairly low priced. The only thing I prefered on my old invaders over my avengers was the offset toe stop. Are the mariner cup ups directional stops just another term for offset. Also how much of a nose do roll line plates have. I have short toes so like the short nose on the avenger for where my front axles sit with my plate pretty much to the end.
Old November 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #15
big-red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondagekitten View Post
I am contemplating switching to roll lines. Am in the UK so fairly low priced. The only thing I prefered on my old invaders over my avengers was the offset toe stop. Are the mariner cup ups directional stops just another term for offset. Also how much of a nose do roll line plates have. I have short toes so like the short nose on the avenger for where my front axles sit with my plate pretty much to the end.
Roll line stoppers are normally so huge they don't need to point in any direction but down!
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Bondagekitten
Trainee Derby Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-red View Post
Roll line stoppers are normally so huge they don't need to point in any direction but down!
Lol. I have imperial threaded roll line artist stops in my avengers. Just wasn't sure what was meant by directional toe stops. Offset or flat edges like on bionic stoppers.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #17
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I own both. Unless you care about a really little bit of weight savings, buy the Variant (it used to be more significant but the newer Variants are lighter than the old ones). I hate the click action on the more expensive ones so I actually prefer the normal adjustment on the Variant.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote