S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
plainsk8ing

Default How to find a proper fitting Derby skate online?

Hello, I am in need of new Derby Skates. My current set up (Riedell R3) do not fit me properly (to narrow and long), and it is time to upgrade. My problem is that I can only buy online.

There are not any skate shops close enough for me to drive to (I am not able to take a weekend off to road trip to any). I have tried on some of my teammates skates to get an idea of what I may need. However, we are a start up team and most of the ladies have the same kind of skate (Riedell of various make and model), and larger or smaller feet then me. I have also checked out a Facebook group in the state next to me that sells used derby gear, but choices are very limited.

All of this is to say, that I will need to buy my skates online. I am very worried that I will end up with an ill fitting boot (again). Money is limited so I need to get it right this time. Any suggestions of what brands are good for a wider flat foot? Measuring techniques (I used measuring guides I found online for the R3 and still got the wrong size)? Any useful info about proper fitting skates? I am not knowledgeable about skate assembly, so I assume I should buy one with the plate already mounted. Would you all recommend that I find non custom made skate in a boot size that might work? And that way if it doesn't fit I could exchange it.

My budget is $500 max. The most important thing to me right now is property fitting skates, I am willing to upgrade other comments of the skate over time.
Thank you
plainsk8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsk8ing View Post
My budget is $500 max. The most important thing to me right now is property fitting skates, I am willing to upgrade other comments of the skate over time.
Thank you
I'd PM Doc or one of the other builders on here and get a Semi-custom Bont boot mounted to whatever plate you like/they recommend.

Their the only ones that I know of that are built around the idea of making a boot to fit YOUR foot. They even will let you send in plaster wraps (bont sox or other methods) to get a last (mold of a foot) built perfectly to your foot.

It is exactly what I am saving for after much trial and error.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Zibbit

I don't think the OP will be looking at Bont's for under 500 (at least in Canada anyways).. a cheaper alternative would be some leather Riedell 265's on the factory nylon plates.

Something to look out for with online vendors.. is look for ones that offer free exchange policies if the boot doesn't fit right.. also call the vendor and discuss sizing you correctly. An example of a vendor who offers services such as this is Rollergirl.ca, which is the place I bought the first two sets of skates through.

Leather by nature will stretch over time, so the thing to look for in a proper fitting boot is the length.. the width can be heat moulded to accommodate your wide foot, or you can run your laces looser. The thing you definitely don't want is your foot sliding forward in the boot at all.. it'll make going on your toestops very tricky which will affect your stability.
Zibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1142 View Post
I don't think the OP will be looking at Bont's for under 500 (at least in Canada anyways)..
It can be done, no problem.

Quote:
a cheaper alternative would be some leather Riedell 265's on the factory nylon plates.

There are worse packages, but I can't think of one right off.

The 265 feels great the first time you put it on. The nice fluffy padding breaks down fairly quickly leaving you with a loose fitting boot. The nylon plate is awful right from the start.
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Default I suppose there is import taxes...

Quote:
I don't think the OP will be looking at Bont's for under 500 (at least in Canada anyways).. a cheaper alternative would be some leather Riedell 265's on the factory nylon plates.
I don't see how a minimal semi-custom at roughly $300 before shipping and mounting is such a bad idea given the difficulty of picking a decent boot without ever trying them on Bont is the least risky I've found.

Total my build (the one I'm saving for) should run around $440 shipped (several times as the parts come from a few places) and mounting myself.

If the imports are too much and push it over a non-custom are still amazing so I hear, and are still fully heat mold-able. I don't see any of Riedells offerings with that feature.
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
265's??!! Are you KIDDING??
(Can we revoke his membership? Wait till he is done with the Infinity review. Ok. Cool Cool.)
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

Get in touch with Connie's
An online retailer that supports skate log, they will ship boots to try on before buying, if you don't want them to mount, buy either there or elsewhere and mount yourself, they charge for the service but it might be what you need

Or eBay some and sell what doesn't fit, nothing wrong with used quality boots
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #8
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Default ... yeaa..

I emphasize with you the Confusion and wonder that a researching party has in Finding a good set of boots.. let alone an opinion that is not contrary and confusing, I did buy a set of Riedell's There nice.. yeah there size width chart is off.. I My foot measured 10 1/4 width around the Ball and or 4 1/4 " wide foot. the width chart for 265 in my size is 9 1/2 Double EE and I'll tell you that there 10-3/4 - 11-1/8 measurement for my 10 1/4 " foot was actually tighter than you think. I'd recommend going up a half inch up cause they measure these in Riedell inches.. and your probably gonna wanna some room for some nice insoles too.. Considering these r supposed to have a bigger toe box I found the contrary the height of the toe box on these was pretty low making the boot feel tight.. they do get narrow in the front and the ankle did not fit well.. they're super comfortable specially if you get em in suede.. so I don't know how wide your foot is.. but I do have some insight about the Riedell size chart the Length is spot on.. but there is some learning curve to the Width chart. I've been Reaming My 9 1/2 riedells with the size 12 shoe stretcher with some success totally skate able and still improving the fit little by little I've almost got them molded but not perfect yet.. I've really had to go great lengths here to get these to fit, they're pretty cool but just imagine if the boots where actually made for you and they actually!! fit!!! I have gone to the zoo and back to feed these animals** and they're some wanna be Bont's..

this has been a learning process for me.. I'd be reasonable to beat your R3's with a foot stretcher and or anything else you can get your hand on just for now -till you figure out what direction your gonna go into the high performance market.. Ie I think I'm getting some bont's next.. let me know if you wanna buy these riedells..
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonChris View Post
I emphasize with you the Confusion and wonder that a researching party has in Finding a good set of boots.. let alone an opinion that is not contrary and confusing, I did buy a set of Riedell's There nice.. yeah there size width chart is off.. I My foot measured 10 1/4 width around the Ball and or 4 1/4 " wide foot. the width chart for 265 in my size is 9 1/2 Double EE and I'll tell you that there 10-3/4 - 11-1/8 measurement for my 10 1/4 " foot was actually tighter than you think. I'd recommend going up a half inch up cause they measure these in Riedell inches.. and your probably gonna wanna some room for some nice insoles too.. Considering these r supposed to have a bigger toe box I found the contrary the height of the toe box on these was pretty low making the boot feel tight.. they do get narrow in the front and the ankle did not fit well.. they're super comfortable specially if you get em in suede.. so I don't know how wide your foot is.. but I do have some insight about the Riedell size chart the Length is spot on.. but there is some learning curve to the Width chart. I've been Reaming My 9 1/2 riedells with the size 12 shoe stretcher with some success totally skate able and still improving the fit little by little I've almost got them molded but not perfect yet.. I've really had to go great lengths here to get these to fit, they're pretty cool but just imagine if the boots where actually made for you and they actually!! fit!!! I have gone to the zoo and back to feed these animals** and they're some wanna be Bont's..

this has been a learning process for me.. I'd be reasonable to beat your R3's with a foot stretcher and or anything else you can get your hand on just for now -till you figure out what direction your gonna go into the high performance market.. Ie I think I'm getting some bont's next.. let me know if you wanna buy these riedells..
Not trying to thread jack, just trying to figure this out, do you mean you bought some riedels from Connie's and did you use the sizing program or are you just mumbling along in general, as the op has a question that many have, and Connie's can answer the question......
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:58 AM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
I'd recommend going up a half inch up cause they measure these in Riedell inches..
There's a simpler way. Go to a department store or fine shoe store and get measured on a men's Brannock Device. That's your Riedell size.

Quote:
I've been Reaming My 9 1/2 riedells with the size 12 shoe stretcher with some success totally skate able and still improving the fit little by little I've almost got them molded but not perfect yet..
If you're doing that to the new 265's, you'll hate yourself in the morning. It won't take long for the padding to break down and they'll get nice and sloppy.

Don't forget that you can heat mold all current Riedell boots.

Quote:
just imagine if the boots where actually made for you and they actually!! fit!!!
Um, I know where to get boots like that......
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #11
plainsk8ing

Thank you for the suggestions. I am researching them all now. If anyone has anything else to add regarding buying boots online, I would be happy to hear it.
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

The Bont Quad Racer leather is INCREDIBLY comfortable and does NOT require any break in. Added to that, it is just a plain superior boot. Check the Bont web site regarding measuring the length and width of your foot. If you use the foot backed up against the wall method, be sure that there is no baseboard.

To summarize, you measure, convert to mm, if you measured in inches, feed the numbers into the little Bont widget online and out spits your Bont size.

Once you get your Bont size, buy it, skate it. You'll be glad you did.

Any of the skate builders could also help you find your size. DocSk8, dvw to name a couple. NOTHING fits like a correctly sized Bont. NOTHING.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post

There are worse packages, but I can't think of one right off.

The 265 feels great the first time you put it on. The nice fluffy padding breaks down fairly quickly leaving you with a loose fitting boot. The nylon plate is awful right from the start.
And when it's attached to the modern 265's rubber soles, even worse!
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #14
plainsk8ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Any of the skate builders could also help you find your size. DocSk8, dvw to name a couple. NOTHING fits like a correctly sized Bont. NOTHING.
Thanks, I have contacted DocSk8 and I am hoping to get a pair of Bonts from him !
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Fancy-Kerrigan

Bonts first for fit

Second - Vanilla classic or Tony Zane (not the Jrs or the brass knuckles) The only reason I added these is that my son has very wide flat feet (flippers really) and has had 2 pairs of the Tony Zanes that have fit him great. I've gotten them off the Bay for less than $200 used. Granted they are on sunlice plates, but at that price point you can send them out to get mounted to something that may be better suited to an adult skating in Derby.

I am glad you are in touch with Doc. He is an excellent resource for skate knowledge and he will make sure you are headed in the right direction.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote