S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
rinkraptor

Default Back In Commission !

Skaters shouldn't fly model airplanes; those things are dangerous. I learned my lesson about it the hard way while flying a model one September morning in 2010..... As I was bringing the airplane in for a landing, I became dimly aware that I had the cursed thing headed straight toward me - and turned to run out of its path, severely twisting my left knee. Later that same day, when I arrived at the rink, I found myself wishing that I had just stood there and let the model hit me - as I could barely skate ! Even a severe scalp laceration from a spinning propeller would have been preferable to such a disabling injury.....

After a month or three, the knee pain worsened and I could only skate for a few minutes at a time, and then only on rare occasions when the pain subsided enough for me to tolerate it. And even a simple backward-to-forward Mohawk turn made me wince. Worse, the lack of exercise was putting weight on me - as I am one of those unfortunates who must exercise to keep weight off. So I realized the injury was not going to heal by itself, and made an appointment with the best orthopedic surgeon in town. Much to my surprise, he simply told me that the problem was just aggravated arthritis, and gave me a cortisone shot - which helped ease the pain some, but did not fix the problem. I still was unable to skate - ever try limping on rollerskates ? It just doesn't work, so I resigned myself to a lifetime of flying stupid model airplanes out on a field with a bunch of old fat men.

Then at last, I found out about a new procedure that had just been approved for use in the USA by the FDA. The treatment, which involves some injections of fluid into the joint combined with therapy and traction to straighten out the twisted joint. An orthopedic clinic in Raleigh, only an hour's drive from my home, offered the new procedure so I began undergoing the treatment two weeks ago. Already my knee is almost painless and I no longer limp when I walk. So, as the treatment will be finished by the April 20th afternoon session, I will finally again take the floor !
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Pinhy

Great news! Gotta love modern medicine!
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #3
fierocious1

Awesome! My wife wants to get back to skating but has hammer toes. She had surgery on both feet a couple of years ago but it did not fix it. So now she is going to have is done again. Maybe she will get it fixed this time. She won't go to the rink unless some friends of ours go because she don't want to just sit there and watch me skate and her not be able to. Hopefully it will work out this time.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
rinkraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Awesome! My wife wants to get back to skating but has hammer toes. She had surgery on both feet a couple of years ago but it did not fix it. So now she is going to have is done again. Maybe she will get it fixed this time. She won't go to the rink unless some friends of ours go because she don't want to just sit there and watch me skate and her not be able to. Hopefully it will work out this time.
I sure hope so much that they can fix her feet and get her out on the maple; there ain't a single more valuable worldly possession on can have than the ability to sk8 ! I wouldn't take all of Bill Gates' billions for my sk8er's legs !
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Ice Ramps

Funny how you started your story, I'm a skater and fly drone planes for the Army. Of course our toys are much larger and I would have more than a twisted knee if let one hit me

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Hah Dale! Your "model" plane would prolly leave a big smokin azz hole where you used to be!

Rinkraptor f'n A! I'm the same way, a fat dude trapped in a skinny skater's body. Take away the skating and....well, you know.

Welcome back. (almost...don't push it!)
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #7
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
Funny how you started your story, I'm a skater and fly drone planes for the Army. Of course our toys are much larger and I would have more than a twisted knee if let one hit me

-Dale
If I'm allowed to ask - are they ever actually flown RC plane style? or does one always just program in a bunch of waypoints, and it does the flying totally itself?
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #8
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
If I'm allowed to ask - are they ever actually flown RC plane style? or does one always just program in a bunch of waypoints, and it does the flying totally itself?
The short answer is both. It all depends on the platform. The ones I have experience with are way point based.

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #9
WildBill

Injuries suck, nice to hear you found a treatment that is working.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote