S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
srknurse

Default products from years gone by....

I was thinking yesterday, in the '70's and '80's when I began skating, there were a lot more companies catering to skating....and I was remembering what businesses/products are no longer available or in business.

So, I thought I'd start this thread: what do you miss most in terms of products or businesses related to artistic roller skating? And...perhaps then other readers can write about new products that might have replaced older products or perhaps product substitutions....?

1) Unicorn Sport - I really liked their skating clothes.

2) The Jump Tender - remember reading about this in Skate magazine and begged to have one in my garage growing up. Needless to say, I didn't get one. (Is something like this still available? Not the ice skating version, where someone else has to pull a rope...).

3) Excalibur wheels - I know, I know...not up to today's standards, but still cool, nevertheless.

4) Inga tights - I bought these at the ice rink in Seattle when I was about 10-11, and used them for practice at our chilly rink!

5) Remember when Danskin used to sell skating items?

6) Remember the column, "Is the meet over yet?" in Skate magazine? I still have that author's book. Love it!

Looking forward to reading the replies on this thread!
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Nostalgic

All the different wheels that are no longer available. Rannallis, Waldecks, Mercury.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

WHEELS:
Comets
Webber
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
WHEELS:
Comets
Webber
Comets I am not familiar with but several of my friends skated on Webers. I saw a set not too long ago on a web site. So there may still be a few sets around and available.
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
WHEELS:
Comets
Webber

Oh yeah, I remember the Comets! Just to conjur up a few more: How 'bout the pleated skating "skirts" with separate tights, and gored skirts on our dresses! Didn't want to be to beefy wearing those gored skirts. LOL! Gussets in the skating dresses...no stretchy fabrics back then. No E6000 for stones now...you had to sew them all on back then. Taller boots always white. No over the boot tights, because we didn't wear tights or nylons back then! Imagine that? The Giant Oranges (that's a product I guess) scattered all the way down H-99 to Regionals at Bakersfield "Civic Auditorium", that have long since disappeared. That was a great time! We didn't have a lot of extra fancy frills and thrills back then, just good ol' plain skating. A simpler time for sure.
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Nostalgic

Why did they stop holding regionals in Bakersfield?
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
srknurse

Default things gone by...

Ah, yes, Webber (Weber?) wheels...

I had a green set for figures, and then ended up using two of them as a spin wheel! (Those were the days)...remember when some wheel manufacturers gave you 10 wheels, with 2 for push wheels? I do recall buying a set of yellow webbers from Eric Anderson's father about 10 years ago. I am sure if someone is patient, they'll crop up on EBay.

Remember Tiger Claw wheels? Another wheel called The Advantage? Remember Waldecks and Valdecks? Remember Fafnirs?

I remember being so nervous at meets and not eating anything except concession stand food.

As far as Regionals not being held in Bakersfield anymore, the price of the civic auditorium there was so high that it had to be relocated.

I also remember attemping to do trim on my own skating dresses. It was HORRIBLE!
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8
pacificsk8r

Default $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Why did they stop holding regionals in Bakersfield?

That's my guess...$$$$.
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Nostalgic

Now they're holding it up in the Bay area where I would never want to go even if it wasn't too far. At least Bakersfield was centrally located.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #10
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

boy you talk about some days of old in my face...Comets a freestyle wheel. I remember Mary V and Skip V, having those wheels. I remember Webers as a figure wheel. I do remember seeing or hearing them as a spin wheel. (remember 30 or more yrs ago)

The one gal named Jackie she had Weber as her figure wheels. There was a set of wheels that had to have a push wheel or otherwise was considered to slick. Might someone have the answer to this clue. Dating back late 70's early 80's. Can't place them

Now what is the story on Waldeck to Valdeck? Anyone?
Yes Fafnir I remember!

Now the stones, because my mother didn't do bead work nor sew much I wouldn't know these numbers, but the lady that did do the bead work probably would. The boots were a bit higher and it was cost that made some thinner then others. The ultimate then was Harlick(custom), and the idea of tongues with fur was a luxury.

The dresses were with knit or (Keeana HELP SPELLING) material. The spandex or lycra was there as well.

still wondering that set of wheels that needing a push wheel. I think it even came with them, but don't quote me. (geriatic moment)
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #11
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Oh forgot...thought this might be a bit of fun for thought.

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa050997.htm

I love it!
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM   #12
Nostalgic

Waldecks were the originals and one of the two best art wheels ever produced, at least at that time. Valdecks were a knockoff that, by reputation at least, were not as good. Webers were about the slickest wheels that I know of but nobody I knew used a "push wheel". They skated on the entire set.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM   #13
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Waldecks were the originals and one of the two best art wheels ever produced, at least at that time. Valdecks were a knockoff that, by reputation at least, were not as good. Webers were about the slickest wheels that I know of but nobody I knew used a "push wheel". They skated on the entire set.

I remember that Webers were the slickest, but if they were used as dance they then would've needed a push wheel, but I don't think that is the wheel set I am trying to think of's name. It is a later wheel set that needed a push wheel if used otherwise then whatever style it was meant to be used for. *I hope I've not lost you.

Now the Waldeck from I think("geriatic moment 'Possibly'") I was told...was sold and the company named it Valdeck. Now I am hearing that the Valdeck was a knock off and not as good. So what did happen to this German Wheel company?

The Rannali (which I think... may be the set I am thinking of that needed a push wheel) for it was a Freestyle wheel (only) that was too slick for dance and yet some used if for more than freestyle. George F used them with some of his later students. I can't remember if it was T. Andrew that had the Zephyr wheels(pardon spelling) but those were some all around wheels...I think. Remember them? The dark green ones. (if I am wrong on color...I am color blind)

What dance wheels were there?
I remember the Pattons Rhonda and Tim... they skated with dance wheels, but not too sure of the wheels. Any input on these dance wheel days? Someone...Anyone?
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM   #14
Nostalgic

From what I heard at the time the Waldecks were not being imported as of the late 70's so the supply had pretty much dried up. Valdecks were IIRC made by the same company that made the Hugger wheels. Then there was a claim in the ads that Waldecks were still being imported after the Valdecks came out but nobody could seem to get a set so...
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM   #15
cindysk8s
Rollin' in AZ

Default Wheels

Back in the late 80's/early 90's Hyper made a figure wheel called Hyper Tracer. Those wheels came packed as a set of ten; including 2 push wheels. I always carried the extra wheels around with me but never needed them.
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM   #16
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by srknurse View Post
2) The Jump Tender - remember reading about this in Skate magazine and begged to have one in my garage growing up. Needless to say, I didn't get one. (Is something like this still available? Not the ice skating version, where someone else has to pull a rope...).
Def still available through Promotion Harness systems.. I use the handheld system every day. We also have the off skate one attached to our roof and use it occasionally.

http://www.pro-motionharness.com

http://www.pro-motionharness.com/handheld.html

you'll see in the link there is a picture of one of my ex skaters at Rollerama!
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM   #17
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

well, that was the one...tracers. Now the other is the dance only wheels. I swear that there was such a thing. Possible moment again

Do you remember the bomber jacket made of satin two colors;total rip off of the disco 70's for rexing and so on at the rinks?

OH yes and leg warmers in the Roller Rink! Air conditioned or not

Remember Imperial snyder plates? Are they still available?
(those were considered the figure plate.)

What is the name of material that is a like knit but spandex mixed..keanna or something like that? Spelling please someone...tried a search engine with no luck.

Oh and the music used for routines in the 70's. oh boy!
my friends was like a toilet being flushed. I remember Mark. P saying that. OH what memories

Not too be so dumb, but what is now considered the top figure and would Waldeck get or be able to make a impact still? If yes, how or why. TECH question.
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #18
Nostalgic

I had one of the older sets of Rannallis and they were the tightest gripping art wheels that I ever skated on. People doing freestyle always wanted the tighter gripping wheels, the dance skaters usually wanted better roll. Still a lot of us used the tighter gripping wheels for everything. The last set of wheels that I bought not long before I quit was a set of Z100's. That is what I have on my skates now although they haven't been used since 1988 when I skated twice.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM   #19
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Another wheel that is coming to mind which may have been the comets was a wheel that had stars decending in gold I think. It may have been the bones, because I think they were around for a number of years. Might there have been another wheel with stars on the outside by or near the name?

My last wheels were vanguards and valdeck. I am getting some wheels for rolling only soon, still needing to learn more of the wheel world of today, but very curious of the old
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:22 AM   #20
Nostalgic

You might try going to the national site and downloading the past skate magazines. They have all the old ads in them. I downloaded a bunch of them and it was a real trip down memory lane. Unfortunately they are on another hard drive that is not hooked up. Lots of download time though.