S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #1
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Question What are the best Toe stops for quad speed skates?

I'm kind of opening a can of worms here. I've been researching and looking at Crazy Skates Big Bloc, Sure-Grip Shock Stops and Gumball Superball Toe Stops. I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse. I skate indoors and I'm currently stopping with my original black Huggers which have aged and seem hard due to slipping when stepping off on them while on the skate floor. I've noticed that the sizes of the new stops I mentioned are larger than what I have which is one of the benefits I kind of like for stability. I don't know how things have changed with how the materials used are made, I just remember a stop having some cushion, bite and being made of rubber. Any advice, thoughts and input is appreciated.

Last edited by idiveintoit; July 5th, 2016 at 02:58 AM.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 02:54 AM   #2
Nostalgic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 726
Default

Toe stops similar to Huggers are still available.

https://www.skates.com/Roller-Skate-...s-s/244489.htm
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:39 AM   #3
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Thanks for the link. I did see stops simular to my Huggers but I noticed the larger sized stops which do appeal to me. I also noticed the different materials used and I'm curious to advantages and disadvantages, such as longevity and durability. I've heard that some stops just disintegrate.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #4
Nostalgic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 726
Default

I have been out of skating a long time and I have no clue as to the quality of today's toe stops. Someone else will have to respond to that.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #5
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Thank you Nostalgic, I'm in the same boat. There have been changes and I appreciate any advice and information.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,250
Default Moonwalkers are the coolest looking

Wish they came in more colors though. If your just using them to stop go for the cooolest looking.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #7
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Derrick, there are so many stops that look great but looks aren't everyrhing, they must function well and be of great quality. Keep on rollin.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #8
JorisKB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 213
Default

What's the point in having toe stops on speed skates ?
__________________
Passage des Etoiles, Roller Derby shop and café in Paris, France.
www.passagedesetoiles.com
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #9
WJCIV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,086
Default

Maybe this was meant to go into the quad forum for general purpose quad skating?

I use toestops for indoor speed for starts. They're often good for couple of placements going into the first corner. That said, I like the SureGrip cutaways because they're light and have the right angle for my style. Nothing about stability, which often includes heavier toestops with a larger footprint that can interfere with wheels. There are some old stock ones that are terrible (crumbly and slippery), but the pair I have grips just fine. They wear out a bit quick.

I found the Gumball V2 work well for derby after a couple of practices to wear them down. They're a bit bouncier than the Suregrips. They're quite a bit bigger for stability, and they're lasting a lot longer.

(For completeness I'll mention that I use plugs for session skating.)
__________________
You don't improve by training until it hurts; you improve by training after it hurts.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #10
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)
 
GraySk8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 426
Default Please note: stops on speed skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
What's the point in having toe stops on speed skates ?

I brake for kids!


Keep rollin
__________________
595 redline/Snyder Royal/Bones Swiss/Faster 59mm Demiurge
595 boot/Snyder Imperial/Bont micro/Scott's Narrow Phantom
I brake 4 kids!
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

This question needs to be more specific.

First off, it is not the style of skates ("quad speed skates") that determines what the best toe stops will be, but rather it is the KIND OF SKATING.

Assuming speed skates are used for actualspeed skating - as in racing - then no toe stop is the more normal setup. However when a speed skater still deems toe stops to be a necessity, then their use for STARTING is typically a higher priority than for STOPPING.

In this case, running up on the toe stops to get up to speed from a dead stop ASAP is the desired result, and both the size and grip of the toe stop is paramount. If the stop's height cannot be set close enough to the floor to allow the foot angle to function for max power transfer then it will be poor.

Stop stems that are too short, which do not allow them to be positioned with enough extension to be set optimally close to the rolling surface will compromise performance for fast starts. This setting can also degrade performance for stops as well, especial 180º reverse stops.

The deck height of plates and the location of the stop hole threads above the rolling surface will impact the decision of which stops are best matched to a given set of plates. In addition the angle of the stop hole and its nearness to the wheels can dictate what stops are best size wise to avoid wheel bite on the stop.

Insufficient grip of stops when doing starts and while running several strides fully up and supported on them, can have the leg thrust force exceeding the traction grip of the stop material, and the resulting slippage will destroy a fast start. So the formula of the stop material has to match well for grip to the skater's typical rolling surface environment(s).

So bottom line is that choosing the best stops is going to be a matter of uniquely assessing the particular plate design properties on which they will be used, as well as considering both the running starts versus stopping aspects.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR

Last edited by Armadillo; July 13th, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #12
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 2,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiveintoit View Post
I'm kind of opening a can of worms here. I've been researching and looking at Crazy Skates Big Bloc, Sure-Grip Shock Stops and Gumball Superball Toe Stops. I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse. I skate indoors and I'm currently stopping with my original black Huggers which have aged and seem hard due to slipping when stepping off on them while on the skate floor. I've noticed that the sizes of the new stops I mentioned are larger than what I have which is one of the benefits I kind of like for stability. I don't know how things have changed with how the materials used are made, I just remember a stop having some cushion, bite and being made of rubber. Any advice, thoughts and input is appreciated.
I think a picture of your skates from the side to show where the front axle sits might help, if the front axle is back toward the junction of the big and index toes...running on the toe stops is really easy and fun, it the axle is far forward, at the knuckle of the big toe, running on your toe stops will be an issue.
Length of the toe stop shaft can be adjusted longer or shorter to accommodate, I'd look at what Snyder offers, good urethane, different sizes and different length shafts.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #13
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,424
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
What's the point in having toe stops on speed skates ?
Yep. I agree.

Kids........ Who stops for kids?. Bahahahahahahaha.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #14
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default A point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
What's the point in having toe stops on speed skates ?
Hello JorisKB, Generally I session skate and like to go fast and can stop safely and fast with stops on and maneuver with them. If there weren't people all over the place and I could just roll on, I might not need them but, I like them.

Last edited by idiveintoit; July 12th, 2016 at 04:55 AM.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #15
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default Sweet Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post

I brake for kids!


Keep rollin
Hey GraySk8ter, Just had to mention that your skates look sweet. How do you like the wheels?
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #16
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default Quite the explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
This question needs to be more specific.

First off, it is not the style of skates ("quad speed skates") that determines what the best toe stops will be, but rather it is the KIND OF SKATING.

Assuming speed skates are used for actualspeed skating - as in racing - then no toe stop is the more normal setup. However when a speed skater still deems toe stops to be a necessity, then their use for STARTING is typically a higher priority STOPPING.

In this case, running up on the toe stops to get up to speed from a dead stop ASAP is the desired result, and both the size and grip of the toe stop is paramount. If the stop's height cannot be set close enough to the floor to allow the foot angle to function for max power transfer then it will be poor.

Stop stems that are too short, which do not allow them to be positioned with enough extension to be set optimally close to the rolling surface will compromise performance for fast starts. This setting can also degrade performance for stops as well, especial 180º reverse stops.

The deck height of plates and the location of the stop hole threads above the rolling surface will impact the decision of which stops are best matched to a given set of plates. In addition the angle of the stop hole and its nearness to the wheels can dictate what stops are best size wise to avoid wheel bite on the stop.

Insufficient grip of stops when doing starts and while running several strides fully up and supported on them, can have the leg thrust force exceeding the traction grip of the stop material, and the resulting slippage will destroy a fast start. So the formula of the stop material has to match well for grip to the skater's typical rolling surface environment(s).

So bottom line is that choosing the best stops is going to be a matter of uniquely assessing the particular plate design properties on which they will be used, as well as considering both the running starts versus stopping aspects.

-Armadillo
Armadillo, I really like your descriptive explanation and yes there are quite a number of variables. It is one of many a somewhat challenging topic. I thank you for your reply and if you have any experience with different stops on different surfaces that would prove helpful. Thanks again.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #17
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I think a picture of your skates from the side to show where the front axle sits might help, if the front axle is back toward the junction of the big and index toes...running on the toe stops is really easy and fun, it the axle is far forward, at the knuckle of the big toe, running on your toe stops will be an issue.
Length of the toe stop shaft can be adjusted longer or shorter to accommodate, I'd look at what Snyder offers, good urethane, different sizes and different length shafts.




Well Ursle, Since you asked, here are my ol 265's on Cyclone plates with Fanjets, Fafnir 8balls and Hugger stops. I'll check out Snyders offerings. Thanks.

Last edited by idiveintoit; July 12th, 2016 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Had to add another pic.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #18
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Maybe this was meant to go into the quad forum for general purpose quad skating?

I use toestops for indoor speed for starts. They're often good for couple of placements going into the first corner. That said, I like the SureGrip cutaways because they're light and have the right angle for my style. Nothing about stability, which often includes heavier toestops with a larger footprint that can interfere with wheels. There are some old stock ones that are terrible (crumbly and slippery), but the pair I have grips just fine. They wear out a bit quick.

I found the Gumball V2 work well for derby after a couple of practices to wear them down. They're a bit bouncier than the Suregrips. They're quite a bit bigger for stability, and they're lasting a lot longer.

(For completeness I'll mention that I use plugs for session skating.)
WJCIV, Hello and thanks. I'll look into the Suregrip cutaways and the Gumball V2? I assume that you mean version 2? I'm a little slow on some acronyms so I hope they're listed a such, but I'll figure it out . Your personal use and opinion are appreciated. My Ol Huggers feel like they need changing to a fresh new stop due to feeling slippery as well as potentially crumble like you mentioned at some unforeseen and inappropriate time.
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #19
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)
 
GraySk8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiveintoit View Post
Hey GraySk8ter, Just had to mention that your skates look sweet. How do you like the wheels?
Faster wheels are the only wheel I use. I have several Roller Bones Turbos gathering dust and other assorted wheels I tried.

I skated the Faster wide speed wheels for over 18 months and just bought this set of Red, White, and blue hub beauties. They are more narrow and 3mm lower. I have used them for a couple of weeks now and they are great!

All American made by Detroit Skate Factory (formerly FasterSkates).

Keep rolliin
__________________
595 redline/Snyder Royal/Bones Swiss/Faster 59mm Demiurge
595 boot/Snyder Imperial/Bont micro/Scott's Narrow Phantom
I brake 4 kids!
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #20
idiveintoit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Lucie County, Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Faster wheels are the only wheel I use. I have several Roller Bones Turbos gathering dust and other assorted wheels I tried.

I skated the Faster wide speed wheels for over 18 months and just bought this set of Red, White, and blue hub beauties. They are more narrow and 3mm lower. I have used them for a couple of weeks now and they are great!

All American made by Detroit Skate Factory (formerly FasterSkates).

Keep rolliin
GraySk8ter, This is off topic from my toe stop thread but, I've been eyeing those wheels I have my Ol Fanjets which are shown in a previous part of this thread. If I recall correctly they originally were a somewhat solid white urethane like yours without the red and have turned to a tye dyed butterscotch look in color and seem a little slick, especially when scooting around a corner on a wood floor and doing some footwork to keep on track. How do your red & white tires feel when shuffling around compared to your Naturals?
idiveintoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.