S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 6th, 2016, 06:33 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Skated my 1st Club practice in over 40 years.

Two days ago, I had never met Bob Labriola. A day ago he introduced himself to me. I signed all the paperwork and submitted them to the main office.

They said “wait, Bob will have to approve this”. I didn’t even know Bob was in the building…lol

In about two minutes Bob came out, a very nice man with a smile on his face. “Larry, why do you think you have to pay $ XXX.00.” I said “because I have already bought my skates”. He said “No just pay the lower rate”. So for a very nominal rate, lower than advertised rate I was in the club.

But what does that mean? I didn’t have a pro, I really knew no one and I have never ever took a class/ lesson at Fountain Valley Skating Center. One lady knew my dilemma and said practice starts at 8:00 AM.

So, Sunday I show up to practice not knowing a sole. Some very good skaters out there, from what I take is a Internatiional style…lol! Bob was giving lessons as well as others. The speed of the skaters a little fast…LOL! Well, I just jumped in and skated for about 3 hours and went home tired…LOL!

Body feels good. Maybe I will go back tomorrow…lol!

Larry O and happy skating and good luck at regionals and Nationals.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #2
rwsz

good for u Larry, sounds like you will fit in just fine. Bob has been around a long time, nice they are charging u less. cant believe u arent sore yet from all that skating lol
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Ancient1

Larry,

I don't envy often, but today I envy you. I'm happy for you.
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Derrick

Nice, also envious.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #5
PACAskater

Default Yaaaay!

Yaaaaay for you Larry! I'm glad you joined and got to practice!!!!!

I started out much like you...just wanting some quality time to practice. I soon got bored with my bag of tricks and ended up working with a coach to expand my freestyle skills (and to lose my 1980 style!).

When I took a really bad fall on my tailbone last fall, I couldn't do anything that involved jumping or spinning for about two months. I could do some dance skating without too much pain so I started following Dawn around during the organ music offerings during the Koffee session......I kind of got hooked!!!! It is definitely faster than when I skated way back when. I'm still plugging away at freestyle, but am enjoying the dance skating A LOT!!!!

Hope you aren't too sore! See ya soon!
T
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile Dear Tommi, thanks for the reply.

I have noticed if I really want to talk to you guys at the skating rink I will really have to make an effort…lol!

Basically the roller skating club members really impress me. They are all very good! It seems like some members are taking lessons every day. Maybe its because regionals are in two weeks. Are you going?

It’s kind of funny listening to Bob Labriola give lessons because he yells the instructions half way across the rink. Everybody learns…LOL!

What I have heard being yelled is to “slow the dance down”. “Don’t get ahead of the music”. It seems in my very short time back skating that the idea is to make the steps look slow, seamless and smooth. Not choppy, jerky or exaggerated. I think that is pretty good advice…LOL! I can learn a lot. See you at the rink.

Larry O

Bob Labriola's comment to me today was "My man...Good Morning!"..and he says it with a smile on his face... He's a funny man and I like him a lot..!
Old June 9th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #7
PACAskater

I am not going to Regionals. I jumped back into the dance skating in March on a whim really. I had no idea that I would enjoy it so much. I decided to skate the Fountain Valley competition just to dip my foot in the pool to see if I would like it and could do it. I had already made plans to visit my family back East during Regionals so sadly I won't be going....this year!

You will learn tons just by listening and watching Bob and his lessons! I'm sure he would enjoy teaching you Larry! You've got good form and are smooth! Dawn also gives lessons and is amazing to learn from as well!

Things are serious as Regionals get closer!

See ya' soon!
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #8
larryoracing

Smile Dear PacSkater, thanks for the response.

It seems we would talk more at the rink, but we don’t lol!

I have gone to four practices/days in a row now and today my body and legs refused and I just slept for 12 hours/rested before I had to get up and go to work…lol! I’m hoping tomorrow my legs will feel energized and I can go skating again…!

I would really like to find a partner, but in the mean time I will have to just keep practicing, so when the day comes I will be ready. I’m hoping Bob and Donna are looking for a partner for me…lol! I haven’t asked them to look, I just figured that’s their job. You don’t have to ask the obvious, do you?

Bob has been in this business for a long time and I figure he already had me figured out in the 1st five minutes he saw me skate. Hence why he introduced himself to me “as the head coach and that we would talking again soon and most of all he thought it was great that I wanted to start skating again.”

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Get Ready…lol and it’s their decision, it’s not really ours!
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
It seems we would talk more at the rink, but we don’t lol!

I have gone to four practices/days in a row now and today my body and legs refused and I just slept for 12 hours/rested before I had to get up and go to work…lol! I’m hoping tomorrow my legs will feel energized and I can go skating again…!

I would really like to find a partner, but in the mean time I will have to just keep practicing, so when the day comes I will be ready. I’m hoping Bob and Donna are looking for a partner for me…lol! I haven’t asked them to look, I just figured that’s their job. You don’t have to ask the obvious, do you?

Bob has been in this business for a long time and I figure he already had me figured out in the 1st five minutes he saw me skate. Hence why he introduced himself to me “as the head coach and that we would talking again soon and most of all he thought it was great that I wanted to start skating again.”

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Get Ready…lol and it’s their decision, it’s not really ours!
i was wondering when the body and legs would get u,,,,,should be ok in a couple of weeks i would say without these issues......good luck
Old June 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #10
emtdpf

lol...Larry, right now they are concentrating on Nationals which is coming up in about 7 weeks........they may not be looking for your partner yet.

Plus....... have you asked them to look for a partner? They done know if you don't ask......

just my $0.02
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #11
larryoracing

Smile emtdpf Thanks for the Reply...LOL!

emtdpf, I have really read all your posts even though I have not responded to most...LOL! Really good information I might add...LOL!, although I might not always agree because I am one of those skaters living in the past over 40 years ago...LOL!

And Good Luck at Regionals and Nationals, although I don't think you are going to need it. You will probably win, right? And that is meant as a compliment!

Quote:
lol...Larry, right now they are concentrating on Nationals which is coming up in about 7 weeks........they may not be looking for your partner yet.

Plus....... have you asked them to look for a partner? They done know if you don't ask.....

just my $0.02
Since I hog this board so much, I thought I would give all an update...although I don't think most are too interested, right! LOL!!

Well, Bob Labriola sent out one of his scouts to inform me that he wanted to talk to me today. Great...LOL! I dread going into the principles office...lol! What did I do now????LOL!

So, I skate over to Bobs Cubicle/the music booth and he stares me in the eye and asks "Larry what are you intentions?" Here it comes...lol!

I knew what he was driving at, but I didn't think it would come so soon...LOL! I just got here...LOL!

So, I said, "I wanted to skate Sophmore A dance and Sophmore B singles".

As nice as he could be he recommended I not take that route. I wish I could tell you what he really said...it had something do do about the female anatomy and basically I had no chance in that event and that he did not want me to embarrass myself. And he wasn't smiling when he was talking to me. He was dead serious. So that hurt a little, but that's life, and it time to face reality...LOL!

So, he gave me three choices, Esquire, Veterans or Masters. And he asked if I would be willing to skate with a partner. I said "yes". He wanted me also to skate solo dance.

So, in the typical Bob Labriola fashion, which I am just starting to learn, but figured it was coming...He said "we will start right after regionals", which regional's is next week. So I figure, if I read Bob, correctly he will be coaching me in two weeks...lol! That's how fast things happen at Fountain Valley Skating Center, Ca...LOL!

So, when I say "Boys don't have a choice when it comes to dance skating", I'm a perfect example. I didn't ask Bob to coach me, he told me, he was going to coach me...LOL! And bascially get ready because we start in two weeks.

Isn't skating fun?!

Have fun every one, the party has just begun...lol! And good luck at regionals and nationals.

Larry O
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #12
rwsz

lucky u lol, get out the bank book
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #13
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
emtdpf, I have really read all your posts even though I have not responded to most...LOL! Really good information I might add...LOL!, although I might not always agree because I am one of those skaters living in the past over 40 years ago...LOL!

And Good Luck at Regionals and Nationals, although I don't think you are going to need it. You will probably win, right? And that is meant as a compliment!

Since I hog this board so much, I thought I would give all an update...although I don't think most are too interested, right! LOL!!

Well, Bob Labriola sent out one of his scouts to inform me that he wanted to talk to me today. Great...LOL! I dread going into the principles office...lol! What did I do now????LOL!

So, I skate over to Bobs Cubicle/the music booth and he stares me in the eye and asks "Larry what are you intentions?" Here it comes...lol!

I knew what he was driving at, but I didn't think it would come so soon...LOL! I just got here...LOL!

So, I said, "I wanted to skate Sophmore A dance and Sophmore B singles".

As nice as he could be he recommended I not take that route. I wish I could tell you what he really said...it had something do do about the female anatomy and basically I had no chance in that event and that he did not want me to embarrass myself. And he wasn't smiling when he was talking to me. He was dead serious. So that hurt a little, but that's life, and it time to face reality...LOL!

So, he gave me three choices, Esquire, Veterans or Masters. And he asked if I would be willing to skate with a partner. I said "yes". He wanted me also to skate solo dance.

So, in the typical Bob Labriola fashion, which I am just starting to learn, but figured it was coming...He said "we will start right after regionals", which regional's is next week. So I figure, if I read Bob, correctly he will be coaching me in two weeks...lol! That's how fast things happen at Fountain Valley Skating Center, Ca...LOL!

So, when I say "Boys don't have a choice when it comes to dance skating", I'm a perfect example. I didn't ask Bob to coach me, he told me, he was going to coach me...LOL! And bascially get ready because we start in two weeks.

Isn't skating fun?!

Have fun every one, the party has just begun...lol! And good luck at regionals and nationals.

Larry O
LOL... looking forward to future posts. Be interested in who he matches you up with. Honestly, I'm glad he brought you back to reality.

Skating comp, is not always about winning. Will I do my best, for that day...yes, Will I have fun......eh, that debatable. Do I have any control on the out come........not really, that is in the judges hands.

Regionals for me is a shakedown for Nationals... to me it doesnt matter win or lose, Nationals is what counts.

So, have you decided which category you would like to skate in? LOL.. you may not have a choice based on who he potentially teams you up with, age wise.

This is what is nice about these boards, you don't have to agree with me, and I don't have to agree with you. Its about skating. Back in the day was the old way of skating, now is the new way of skating. You might find that after a few lessons with Bob, things have changed quite a bit as far as the ways and hows, of American Dance..... I did when I came back after years of being gone. Styles have changed.......

All I can say, is pay attention to Bob and his staff of instructors, don't argue with anything he says, and just learn from it......

Maybe we will talk at Nationals some time.....?
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #14
PACAskater

Come on Larry! I knew that was coming!!!

When I first talked to Bob, I said I wanted to jump and spin! (I still do!!!!) He told me I was too old! And maybe I am too old to compete in freestyle. Did you look at the Novice division? That's what my freestyle coach would have signed me up for. I can still polish my skills and learn new things though! I get a great deal of joy from turning on my iPod and interpreting the music I'm hearing.

I have a rash of 80's style dance skating moves that I am trying to forget. I was amazed at how much it has changed, but the changes account for the beauty of it. Good advice from the others. Soak it all in from Bob. He is the master!

Things do happen fast....I started dance lessons in March and competed in May. I would have gone to Regionals except for a trip that had been planned for the same time back in January. Next year!

Enjoy the ride Larry!
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Ancient1

Larry,
Trust in what you were told. They are right. tighten your skills back up and learn the new. Show those young kids what talent really is... I so wish I could come out there and skate with each of you.
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #16
Ancient1

So Larry and Tommi,
Will you try skating together? If only for practice. Uh! Maybe Tommi already has a partner, but if not then Larry what are you waiting for?
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #17
larryoracing

Smile To everyone thanks for the posts.

It’s really hilarious if you really think about what we are saying/talking about. I would like to think this is what this web board is for. To laugh and have fun and to talk about the sport we love.

A few months ago I was really trying to come back to skating, visiting all the local Southern California Rinks during sessions, trying to roller dance and do some freestyle, I actually could perform a waltz jump, single loop and mapes combination jump with vigor and height, then I caught a cold. I even landed about 15 axels off skates, but never could get one off on skates…lol! My cold lingered on for a month and I just didn’t have any energy to go skating again.

I couple of weeks ago the boy/next door neighbor who got me into skating over 40 years ago called and said he wanted to go skating. That was a couple weeks ago. It was the spark I needed. Now, I’m skating again with a lot of enthusiasm even though Bob Labriola, kind of busted my ego, but that is OK I will get over it…lol!

1) This is what I’m thinking. I can always leave Fountain Valley and go do my freestlye and also do my sophomore dance somewhere else, but what a wonderful opportunity to learn from the old man, who may not be with us forever. He is 85 years old. You just never know when somebody will die/perish and as you get older, it happens all the time.

2) To me Bob is a legend/living…lol, that my old pro (Manuel Lopez at Del Monte Gardens, Monterey, CA ) over 40 years ago use to talk about Bob Labriola all the time. I actually try to skate like his son (Bob’s son), who was a Senior Dance Champion in the early 70’s. At least that’s what I think about when I’m dancing. I just try to stand a little taller..lol! That was a big deal back in the 70’s to stand tall when you were skating. Try to look taller…LOL!

2a) And I remember Bob’s Daughter,Donna. I think she was skating Junior Singles skater, which is equivalent to JR WC Singles. She was a great skater. But I don’t think Donna was a Natalie Dunn. Not even the boys could compete with Natalie…LOL!

3) So, I think the smart thing is to do what you all say. Just listen to Bob and take it all in. When he’s dead and gone, I can go do my own thing. I was actually thinking about skating for another 11 years, so there’s a long time to win out of the older events and move up to sophomore or some other division to do those backward dances, right?. The possibility is there if one can just keep healthy. Skating is the fountain of youth, right Tommi.

4) “Ancient 1”, I would love to skate with Tommi, but guess what? It’s not my decision. And I’m not going to ask Bob and have never had the guts to ask Tommi. That is Bob’s decision. Bob teaches Tommi and he could be thinking about hooking us up at sometime. We will just have to wait and see. I will be honest I dread skating with some of the girls I see at the rink…lol! So I hope Bob does me well….lol!

5) I’m slowly meeting all the better skaters at Fountain Valley. I met Dan the other day, Donna (one of the pros) skating partner and Dan said “Larry, when you started doing Mohawk turns we knew you could skate backwards/that you knew how to skate already and we started wondering who Bob was going to hook you up with for a skating partner” So everybody is thinking the same thing. We all know the game. You either buy into it or not…lol! If you are smart you play the game and smile while it’s all happening…lol! I got a feeling everybody is controlled by Bob Labriola. Scarry hah. Even Dan had other ideas but Bob told Dan what division to skate.

a) I have only had one dance partner in my life. And to be quite honest about it, Tommi reminds me of her, except Tommi is a lot stronger skater. But in my time Anne was perfect for me. She was beautiful, could stand up straight and just went along for the ride.

b) She didn’t mind me being the leader. Some girls want to be the leader/man and I really don’t like that…lol! Just my own personal preference…lol! So I’m sure who ever I skate with Bob will insist that Larry leads the dance…lol!

Trust me Tommi as well as many of the girls at Fountain Valley, Ca are very good strong skaters. Much better than me. I hope to catch up…lol! So I’m thinking Bob will try to hook me up with someone I can skate with. Someone who will make both of us look good. That is his job as "head coach"...LOL!

And to the “Ancient” one, I wish you were here in Southern, Ca also. Thanks for being nice about my posts. I really worry about pissing people off on this web board and I know the one girl got mad and I hope she get’s back on the board and reports on her skating. We all learned from her/ skating and posts.

And to Rick I hope Bob only makes me take one dance lesson a week. If I ever get the guts maybe I will look into a freestyle lessons, but I know down deep Bob would frown upon it. Bob’s a dance coach and if he had it his way nobody would skate freestlye at Fountain Valley, Ca. That’s what I feel and thanks for helping everybody on the Skatelog Board.

Sincerely,
Larry O

God bless everyone. We are truely lucky to be alive and skating...right?
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #18
Ancient1

Default I don't take offense easily

Larry,

re: And to the “Ancient” one, I wish you were here in Southern, Ca also. Thanks for being nice about my posts. I really worry about pissing people off on this web board and I know the one girl got mad and I hope she get’s back on the board and reports on her skating. We all learned from her/ skating and posts.

You are welcome and no worries. It's ok to disagree (because I know I am right anyway ).

Now I know you have a pair, so go display them proudly and talk to Bob and Tommi if Tommi doesn't have a partner. What! you think they will pull a gun and shoot you? Sheesh! You don't know till you try. If you can't do ask, then you have no business in competition. Be bold, be strong. AT LEAST TRY. You are right, it isn't up to you. Remember other parties (Tommi and Bob) have to weigh in ahead of you, but SHEESH! just do it.

I have had 5 dance partners between 1972 and around 1980. 2 of which my instructors selected and 3 I went up and asked to do some dances and some practice then one thing led to another. Both instructors chose good for me, but I only accepted one of the instructor chosen partners. That was my loss. That skater was new and I was years ahead of her but in 2 years she was judging and guess what, she was very good and she was judging me on my figures. Lucky for me she didn't hold a grudge.

Let's talk of out of our league skater: My first dance partner chosen by my instructor was a decade literally ahead of me and she was great and extremely beautiful and executed moves and leans perfectly. I was so shocked he picked her to dance with me. I WAS NOT WORTHY to skate with her. Still she taught me to lean, bend my knees, do my turns and how to hold a partner in proper position that I would not have learned from another partner. I could not keep time with music at that time so she took the lead which was great. In 3 months we skated our only meet together before I went into the USAF and we took first. I had only skated at that time for a total of 6 months and I was skating with a goddess and we won.

What does that mean. 3 things: Don't be afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to let the lady lead and be better. Accept what the instructor/ now called coach decides for you as a partner.

Go back to 1: Don't be afraid to ask! Be the rooster and stand proud. YOU ARE A SKATER. Skaters stand proud. The gutless will never achieve let alone win. Be a skater and win. Go for it...
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #19
rwsz

yes Larry one lesson is good then how many hours of practice for each like u did the old days. dont even know what they charge an hour now for lessons. exactly how old r u, i have seen many older old men try to skate again and some did quite well, if you arent over weight it will be much easier to do singles. yes Bob is really a dance coach and a good one and a legend like u said, he even had wheels with his name on them lol.
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #20
PACAskater

Thank you for the kind words Larry!

Honestly, I don't think you should give up your desire to skate freestyle. I have my routine finished for my 5th freestyle proficiency test. I just have to get up the nerve and stamina to do it. (The stamina part scares me!)

There are two freestyle coaches at Fountain Valley. I started with the youngest one. It was the first time I ever took lessons from someone younger than I She corrected my 80's bad habits as well as the ones I had picked up trying to relearn what I thought I remembered. I really enjoyed that time!!! She really helped my form as well as my confidence. And there was no pressure to compete or test. She knew that I just wanted to be challenged and polished! She went overseas for school and I started taking from the other one who has gotten a test routine down. We have started a competition routine, but I haven't attacked that with as much gusto. I really like both of them and would be happy to pass on their info to you if you would like!

I'm on the fence about having a partner. I never did that kind of skating back in the day. I was strictly solo. I'm also tremendously fearful of "taking a partner out". I have fallen hard in my last three dance lessons. I can deal with my aches and pains but would feel awful about causing others to hurt. (The reason I'm not skating today is that my back and knees are still smarting a bit from my fall on Wednesday.)

I'm headed out of town for two weeks. I will be doing a lot of skating....in my head!