S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Goldiloks

Default plate advice

I'm soon to buy a Riedell 120 boot for mostly outdoor rollerdance fun. I'm 170lbs, and will be skating on asphalt and concrete. No big jumps, just hops, shuffles, maybe some spins, and getting on down

Could anyone advise on the following plates for my intended use?

Mistral
Dance
Arius

Thank you
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Goldiloks

I also wanted to ask if it is typical for skaters to choose a shorter plate for jb, rhythm and shuffle skating?

I realise it's personal preference, but I would be interested in hearing what is the norm?

Thanks again!
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #3
shecky79

Hi goldilocks, I too were in the same predicament. I personally have two of the plates you mention. I have the powerdyne arius and the roll line navigator, which is the same as the mistrial. My thoughts on the arius were that it is a very responsive plate. Lateral movement was outstanding for getting in and out of close calls. They are extremely LIGHT. I really didn't notice it until I stopped skating on them and for some reason decided to give them a go again after a 3 month hiatus. The one gripe I had was that I felt every bump and ripple of the floor. I skate indoor sessions and mostly rhythm skate and used 97A Roller bones turbo on the 120 riedell boot. Now I have the 297 riedell boot with roll line navigator plates on roll line panther wheels. The roll lines are to me far superior to the arius. The arius are responsive but the roll lines have telekinesis. They are a bit heavier than the arius but construction of the roll line is in a different class. I have a 180 plate on the size 11 297 boot and I don't notice any skaters using the extreme short mount but for me these are perfect. Hope this gives a little insight.
shecky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Goldiloks

Thanks, Shecky. Interesting to hear a comparison! I shall probably go for a Mistral, it sounds awesome. Maybe I ask what cushions you use?
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #5
shecky79

Right now I use the urethane clear cushions but I probably will try the clear blues. Im also 5'11 170 ish.
shecky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:06 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I skate an arius plate, have had it for 2 years or so now.

Setup.
Size 10 vanilla freestyle
Size 12 Arius - 193mm wheelbase (original not platinum)

You'll definitely feel more of the floor with the Arius plate. It has a direct connection with tue floor. So instead of the truck sitting on a cushion, it sits on a hinge. This is great for precision (kind of , ill get to that later), power transfer, and how it turns vs other plates.

The problems

The bushings are wear items, and in part, the trucks are too. Since the bushings can wear into tue trucks because of the way it works. Also the cushions can eventually wear out. Now I have had a set of 80A in mine since the 3rd time rolling them, and thats where they have stayed. I have not had to replace them as of yet.

The problem with the bushings starting to wear, or the truck wearing from rubbing the bushings is that this makes the hinged part have more slop, so the turning and overall precision of the setup goes down as it becomes worn. A fix (private / aftermarket) is comming eventually, its in the works.

Others have experienced plates breaking due to a poorly reinforced toestop boss. This does not effect me because I dont use stoppers.

Theres also the problem with the axles, there is a bevel toward the threads on the arius' axles. This bevel is a problem for certian wheels, such as bont wheels. They have a nice aluminium hub with micro bearings, making the wheel very light.(91g with bearings ) however the outside bearing sits in/on this bevel, and makes the bearings roll slightly out of alignment which wears them out pretty fast.

One more good thing though,

My skates with those bont wheels weigh 1260 grams or so. The boot takes up 500 grams in itself, so with a bont (300g or so)boot I have laying around when swapped the weight drops to 1080g or so, super light, very fast, but so rigid and unforgiving because the stiffness of the setup makes things a bit TOO responsive for my tastes. Power transfer to speed was insane, however, I lost a lot of articulation from the stiffer boot where it wouldnt flex like my vanilla and as a result the top speed from the most powerful part of my stride pretty much vanished.

I only include the details about the boot because users habe swapped boots to find that they were unable to hockey stop, or thier attempt yeilded virtually no chatter. I habe experienced the same from changing to stiff new boots. The bont, and just yesterday a Reidell 695 redline. Both boots seemed to help grip, but theh were harder to deal with because of less flexibility.

Boots stiffness matter for dance, which is why a lot of jb skaters will keep their high tops unlaced, or very loose. Helps with control believe it or not. Its like driving a fickle and super responsive race car or a more forgiving sport sedan with 100,000 miles on it. The sedan being a LOT more forgiving, and in my experience, a bit more predictable, easier to control, especially with sliding and regaining traction.

As for the Arius, Id not get one just yet, until they mainstream fix the truck issues, and offer a better bushing option