S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old November 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Good-side, bad-side, toe stops, and jam plugs

So a bit of self-analysis (pure conjecture) just for the blog of it. So I'm working on waltz-jumps and IB spins as usual. And I come up with a bit of a quandry.

If you ask me to jump up and turn around off-skate I will naturally go cw. But after 47 years of the left foot being on an outside edge due to "the regular skating direction" (a foolish descision by rink owners in the 50's, there should be no regular it should be 50/50). So I'm learning (from an art skaters advice) to spin and jump ccw into the center of the floor when going the regular way round.

So, I come up with a good-side/bad-side conundrum. My good side IB spin is Right foot cw. But my rock over good side is left foot ccw. So do I learn the rock-over cw or learn to spin better ccw?

My good side waltz-jump is jumping off left ccw. But my best best Mohawk is cw. So do I learn the waltz Right foot start cw or improve my Mohawk ccw?

My preferred solution is to learn both ways, but mentally when I know I can make advancement one way or the other I practice that.

So toe-stops in. Great for jumps that go awry. Either that or I'll need to add elbow protection. I already protect the wrist which is great on most falls. But the falls off a jump tend to go to the elbow if the stops aren't in. Also, I wnat to try a half-mapes at some point. I'm sure the mood will hit me and I dont like to change equipment mid-session. I think I'll just need to get over that.

But I also am working on some toe stuff. A few things can not be done with stops on. Most can, but things like gliding heel toe all spread out doesn't work. The toe-stop tends to hit when my feet wre passing each other when on toes only. I'm still not good at that yet, but getting there.

Just a bit of rambling here. Does anyone else have these kind of conundrums?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default The Brain' for Right Handers

Hi Derrick,

Back awhile ago I posted a few answers on this subject of "Are we mentally conditioned to do Both Ways equally as well" The Greeks I think, had a term for this that is still used in medical literature and the bad or weak side means "Bad". Right now I can not remember those terms, distal maybe yet probably not. It is used for the eyes as well in your prescription.

The last answer I remember was to an Art Skater, and others (OK maybe one knowledgable) agreed with me with like-ways knowledge.

As much as you try, and you should try hard, your body and brain works better in one direction than the other.

I recounted to one young man, I believe he was a man not a gal, that I have done continual mohawks around the rink for years. Usually I like to do the entire circle or sometimes twice. Did this for years. I know I should get dizzy yet I don't. As much as I try I notice that one direction of turn has me concentrating harder than the natural direction. This supported his Art Teacher's knowledge and others agreed.

Anyway that is my InPut

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old November 12th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #3
diagetus

Quote:
My good side waltz-jump is jumping off left ccw. But my best best Mohawk is cw. So do I learn the waltz Right foot start cw or improve my Mohawk ccw?

My preferred solution is to learn both ways, but mentally when I know I can make advancement one way or the other I practice that.

I am sure those more heavily embedded in the discipline of figure skating will have great input, but here lies your post. My two cents is to go for the gusto and aim for progression in both! I know - "but which one first if I had to prioritize?"

Well, if your focus is dance/pairs competition I would say run your progression front on the Mohawk. It seems to me that choreographed skated moves yield to jumps.

To be honest, I think lack of symmetry on the Waltz will be forgiven more-so than the Mohawk. Spins and jumps... you tend to get a pass, but with any skate pivot or transition I would say the expectation is that you can execute both ways.

Never the less, symmetry on just about any jump would make you more dangerous in any choreographed freestyle program.

Understandably there is only so much time in the day to tackle your weaknesses. There was a coach I knew who gave out a program on how to productively practice each session. That little hand out would come in handy right now...

Wish I could be of more help. Best of luck in your practice!

*Edit* Seems like I am scanning posts a little too fast these days. The second part of your post about the stops: Well, you may have to go through the pain of changing out the stops each session. Sounds like you are pretty embedded in artistic discipline right now as you only named artistic freestyle moves. Crazy legs can probably wait. The other option will be heavier on the wallet - buy the exact same boot and plate (or nts version) for your roller dance sessions. Yes, this problem is faced by style skaters as well. I see most use two pairs of skates. One pair may be for Detroit/Flint style let's say and the other is for Chicago JB. The other common pairing I have seen is one set for indoor and another for outdoor punishment.

Last edited by diagetus; November 14th, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Altpensacola

Default I've thought about this!

I have the same questions about CW/CCW moves and have been thinking about it all summer.
Here is what I have decided after talking to a few people and knowing what I can do. When I want to try and learn a new move, (and with my new skates I have been trying a lot of stuff,) I make the attempt both ways. If I do it, fine, if not...move on.
On many moves, especially involving a turn, I stick to one way. For me, most are CCW. I figure at my age and ability I am damn proud I can do them, most of my peers (if I can call them that) canít even conceive of skating. So I am way ahead of the game. I also have many more moves than most people at our rink, the rest I learn from and get more moves.
I too believe we have a dominant move side, just as we have handedness. So I figure go with what you can do best, it looks cool, perfect it.
If I was in a contest, and was younger, I might concentrate more on trying both ways. At least I give it a shot before I forget it.
I also notice, and this is important, that I no longer get dizzy doing some of these crazy spins, but only if I go one way, If I attempt to do the other way, my inner ears donít understand!
Another thing I notice, if I have a skill I CAN do both ways, sometimes my brain actually tries to change it up in the middle! So Crash!
I have to tell myself, I am going to go this way THROUGH the entire move! For years I was only turning back to frontwards one way, so when I learned a full turn, I had to re-learn the follow through, and sometimes at the last minute, my body wants to reverts to the old move!

And about the jam plugs vs. stops, get the plugs and learn the different ways to stop, you donít need stops plugs (unless you are doing derby) and you can do so much more.

P.S. I imagine rinks went to the one way CCW rule to keep people from switching it up on their own when ever. And to stop having to have someone keep switching us. Much safer for all of us.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Derrick

Default As suspected my good side and bad side is switchingg

As I try more spins and jumps people ted to teach ccw. But after I try cw enough times it becomes my good side even though I've only done it ten percent of the number of times.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Agree with ALL, Observations

Hi ALL,
Good Post Derrick, Altpensacola

I agree with my post and another that talked about our Dominant stuff.

Yet IF you have a weakness on the Dominant side, like a knee or an ankle, or a skate that isn't quite tied correct. Then all of a sudden you do things pretty darn well in the other direction. Our feet are not quite like our writing hands, is my guess. We use them much more in parallel. So we have some latitude when our dominant side is not working as well. And BTW Skate tying was a strange one when I figured it out as a problem, WE look for symmetry when we do things in both directions and we notice those little things like one skate tied different than another.

Now as a precaution: Remember I have been working on Mohawks CCW and CW for years so I might not be the best candidate for understanding stuff, since I have trained. I used to do several spins around the rink doing both CCW and CW, my goal was training and to do them well in both directions.

Middle spins were the same way. Sometimes I could do them better the non dominant way than the other. I suspect this is due to a fixed pattern my body knows for the dominant way, and a new pattern, uncluttered by how I skate, for the non dominant way. So the non dominant way is more pure.

Geez this is a funny note, even if it is my experience.

Thanks ALL,

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave