S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 4th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Toe Jam??

At the anual Employees "Come to Jessus" meeting at Roller Dome North: The owner has died at 92. So the Son is trying to re-establish protocol (Don't blame him for that).

Well he wants the DJ/Floor Guards to teach the kids shuffle skating. But not Jam Skating because "Jam skating has a bad reputation". WTH??? I'd be thrilled to be a good Jam skater.

Anyway, a new office staff member pipes up and says, "What's Jam skating?" After fumbling for an explanation, and telling tales tha Jam skaters can't really skate and shuffle skating is the better form. "And me throwing up in my mouth bit." Dude, When you strap wheels to your feet it's all good. Anyway, the new member says you mean "Toe Jam" . "Toe Jam"?? gross, I hate it when I get toe jam in my skates.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I know both shuffle skaters and jam skaters. Good jam skaters seem to trump shuffle skater at everything except moving fast through packs. Jam skaters who are worth their salts have excellent footwork. And virtually no rhythmic shuffle skater is going to touch them on balances either. The dexterity needed to perform slow smooth and intricate moves on skates without falling or making it look like a newborn deer is much harder than pumping you feet on the floor to the music in a large circle.

Most shuffle skaters I know cant skate backwards very well, but most jam skaters I know can. If going fast is someone's only priority then jam skating is more on their ideas of what is right.

To me EVERYTHING should be learned.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Derrick

Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I know both shuffle skaters and jam skaters. Good jam skaters seem to trump shuffle skater at everything except moving fast through packs. Jam skaters who are worth their salts have excellent footwork. And virtually no rhythmic shuffle skater is going to touch them on balances either. The dexterity needed to perform slow smooth and intricate moves on skates without falling or making it look like a newborn deer is much harder than pumping you feet on the floor to the music in a large circle.

Most shuffle skaters I know cant skate backwards very well, but most jam skaters I know can. If going fast is someone's only priority then jam skating is more on their ideas of what is right.

My favorite jam move is the grape vine, can't do it yet, just learning to skate on my toes. Well I can do toes backwards or forwards but pasing the center point is wobbly. And I can't get a spin on my toe, well a baby spin from standing but thats it.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #4
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
My favorite jam move is the grape vine, can't do it yet, just learning to skate on my toes. Well I can do toes backwards or forwards but pasing the center point is wobbly. And I can't get a spin on my toe, well a baby spin from standing but thats it.
I spent months trying to get my toes pointed slightly inward in hopes to do the vine - my feet don't normally go that way, but I can sidewind all day long. I now have the first half turn from back to forward fairly smooth. Like Mort says, smooth slow moves are the toughest.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #5
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Get Out More

Quote:

You must not have skated on the West Coast. Shuffle/rex skating and jam skating go hand in hand. Very rarely do you see someone who does one and not the other.

For your enjoyment/education:
https://youtu.be/r7gRo10nOgU
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #6
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrob View Post
For your enjoyment/education:
https://youtu.be/r7gRo10nOgU
Awesome footwork! I was expecting the video to include the jamskating where they crawl and roll around on the floor - that part of jamskating never appealed to me, but this video was perfect.

The comments say they use RBT 101a wheels to get slide for smooth footwork and spins. I use 92a RBT because I like the grip - maybe that's hindering some of my skating

Thanks for the video - these kids are great skaters.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:16 PM   #7
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

Nice video, wish I had one of those moves

More Bounce to The Ounce!
dmacalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacalak View Post
Nice video, wish I had one of those moves

Practice makes perfect sir. If our rink was a bit more empty at sessions Id love to get more videos going. Need a gopro!

Derrick, did you get the grapevine down yet?
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM   #9
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

I don't know if he did but I can do 1/2 of one, but those dudes in that video wow doing it full speed that's impressive. I am not sure what kind of skater I am all this new terminology is confusing me. I thought I was a Jam Skater, but I have no clue, lol. I skate slowly in circles with the beat forwards and backwards, and during songs that aren't my jam I try spins and anything else I might think I can do but can't I have noticed most of the people that can do all the cool moves aren't as heavy as me and when I was a kid it was about the same way. I do know a few bigger dudes however that can seriously throw it down and it gives me hope

Old September 1st, 2015, 11:39 AM   #10
Derrick

Quote:
Practice makes perfect sir. If our rink was a bit more empty at sessions Id love to get more videos going. Need a gopro!

Derrick, did you get the grapevine down yet?
unfortunately, no. I'm still working on going toes front and passing the center point smoothly. I can go toes backwards pretty smooth, but working together a grapevine isn't happening yet.

I'd like to do some more video as well. I have the equipment to set up a tripod outside, but then I never seem to get the chance to go. Stupid stuff like room remodels that have been ongoing for a month. Seems like people want back in their bedrooms more than they want to skate with me. What's wrong with kids today?
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #11
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

Quote:
Seems like people want back in their bedrooms more than they want to skate with me. What's wrong with kids today?
My son and I will skate anytime with you as long as you aren't embarrassed hanging with 6 year old and his old man father. I try to practice the grapevine all the time I think. I don't really know if I am doing it right as I only see a few kids that can do it but they are usually gone by the time the rink clears out so I can't ask them for their opinions as to if I am even close. I feel comfortable on my left front truck but not so much my right. I tore my MCL fishing last year, yah I know, so I am very uncomfortable on my right front trucks. Anyway I still try and most the time end up on the floor but whatever @ least I am trying Best of luck!

Old September 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

For your grape vining help. A simple video I made long ago for a friend of mine at the ri k to watch and learn.

Here ya go.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=20531316728

This is the rotation most people mess up on, they can usually get to backwards, but getting from backwards to forwards hangs most people up. If you want or need a super slow vid of some good grapevine work I'll make one on wednesday and post it.
Old September 1st, 2015, 04:09 PM   #13
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

Thanks for the video Mort I will do my best to analyze and reproduce, nice and smooth very nice! Unfortunately this week, I am kind of down and out without my Laser truck and these .5 size to small boots hurting my feet. However we still might hit it up tonight and definitely tomorrow. I find when I don't skate @ least twice a week, I feel shaky and uncomfortable for a few. The more I skate weekly the better and more confident I am the next session. Guess I am just weird like that and putting such on load on my skates @ first must get to me or makes me a little un-confident. I definitely agree everything should be practiced if you want to be a slick and a smooth roller. I feel that if you don't fall or almost fall you aren't going to learn anything new.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:38 AM   #14
Derrick

Quote:
My son and I will skate anytime with you as long as you aren't embarrassed hanging with 6 year old and his old man father. I try to practice the grapevine all the time I think. I don't really know if I am doing it right as I only see a few kids that can do it but they are usually gone by the time the rink clears out so I can't ask them for their opinions as to if I am even close. I feel comfortable on my left front truck but not so much my right. I tore my MCL fishing last year, yah I know, so I am very uncomfortable on my right front trucks. Anyway I still try and most the time end up on the floor but whatever @ least I am trying Best of luck!

Me embarrassed about who I hang with, not likely. My my kids are 14,16,18. Lets ee your 160 miles from me. Doable with some planning. We like visiting rinks we haven't been to. Where do you skate?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Derrick

Quote:
For your grape vining help. A simple video I made long ago for a friend of mine at the ri k to watch and learn.

Here ya go.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=20531316728

This is the rotation most people mess up on, they can usually get to backwards, but getting from backwards to forwards hangs most people up. If you want or need a super slow vid of some good grapevine work I'll make one on wednesday and post it.
Great video, you show the move nice and slow. I'll see if I can break it down. Oh gee, there's my indoor slipper skates right there. See ya.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Great video, you show the move nice and slow. I'll see if I can break it down. Oh gee, there's my indoor slipper skates right there. See ya.
Thanks sir.

We could have a get together up in Ohio sometime. Id be happy to show you guys some things. Who knows, maybe you'll have something for me to learn

I can't side surf to save my life. Almost there though. Flexibility issues with my hips not opening up enough to do it. My daughter is quite happy about making me look like a fool when I try to sidewind.

Ill get a video of the grapevine thats a bit more thorough tonight at junior derby. Like start forwards and end forwards, so you get a complete view of the trick to where it just repeats.. My friend could get around to backwards just fine as most people can. Since the first part is just a transition but on your toes. The second part is what skaters tend to have trouble with.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:49 PM   #17
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

I am down anytime! I love meeting cool new people and having someone to skate with. Sounds like Mort is interested in Orbitz new floor so maybe there, or where ever matters not to me. Lets do this, just give me time to make the arrangements and make sure funds are there. The more heads up I have the better chance I have of making it happen. Looking forward to this!!

Old September 3rd, 2015, 03:00 AM   #18
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000401564970

There ya go.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #19
Derrick

Default Putting some meat on the meet and greet

Quote:
I am down anytime! I love meeting cool new people and having someone to skate with. Sounds like Mort is interested in Orbitz new floor so maybe there, or where ever matters not to me. Lets do this, just give me time to make the arrangements and make sure funds are there. The more heads up I have the better chance I have of making it happen. Looking forward to this!!

OK, my wife wants to come and shop, she doesn't skate (she doesn't shop that much either so it's cool). Anyway I have vacation in Oct so a november weekend, or wekday if you want less crowds. I can always take a day. Lets see how many members we can get to come. Oh yes, I'll have at least one teen with me, prolly 2. 3 if my oldest can get time off. More if their friends want a road trip.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default im down

Figure a date , time ,rink. Im free from friday morning till mid day Sunday. Basically friday and sat nights, anywhere.