S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: Will 3x125 be good for the future of our sport?
Positive Impact 15 45.45%
Negative Impact 7 21.21%
No Impact 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #61
reely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
LOL .... ya

As far as 125's being fast indoors, I think they can be but it still seems to be like the way 3x110 was were it worked for mostly lighter skaters. I have seen many lighter skaters go fast on 125's but not many bigger skaters. I am still waiting for a 2nd company to make indoor 125's too. Matter's urethane doesn't hold up for nothing. Cracks after a couple practices and the roll dies just about as fast.

Imo 3x110s are working for those you described/lighter. But current 125s do work for bigger skaters. I'm 170, Jim B is over 200, Marty L is 160+, Dave W 170+ the list goes on. Yes us old folks only run low 9s indoor, and we all don't skate that pretty... I believe the current wheels are capable of high 7s, it's just that they run out of driver at low 8s, jr/sr/classic haven't embraced or mastered cornering on 3xs yet. The skaters that have grown up on 3xs will take 3x125s to the next level.

I'm also convinced that most of the spliting was due to them not being fully cured. I experienced it with the first several sets i owned, gen 1. W gen 2 i bought 3 sets in April 16', put 2 of them in my closet skated 1 set until July and noticed they held up better and had plenty left. Set 2, i put on the week before Natl's and have skated that same set at 3 big meets this season on top of 3 practices a week. I see the current performance 125s lasting as well as 110s now.

And from a pushing the limits of speed view, 125s will be good for us.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #62
onurleft

I think they will, even better if boot technology would become more user and ankle friendly.

Will say 3 x 125 set-ups certainly don't go unnoticed by the general public! I did a skate of my cities river drive path this past Friday during the annual Dad Vail Regatta. As I passed a small co-ed group of college students, one guy said "Sick Blades", the guy next to him said "Sick Blades, Three Wheels!" Got a little crowded so I headed back toward boathouse row, past the Philly Art Museum onto the Schuylkill Banks Trail where a bearded millennial with a man-bun shouted out "Nice Skates".

And this on K2 Mod 125 skates, not a sleek sculpted race boot with 3 x 125's which I imagine would appear intimidating to someone who last skated in Napolean Dynamite's "Tow Me Into Town" brother Kip's hard plastic 72mm wheeled rec-skates or played roller hockey as a kid.

That said I don't see 3 x 125mm's reigniting the skating boom of the 1990's, but they may get people interested in skating and if those individuals live in a place with a speed skating community, they may gravitate toward that end?

In related news sideways to the latest equipment - A woman who did ski trips with my group this season, told me her ski instructor at Okemo in VT asked what other sports she does, and that they were all the wrong sports to help with skiing, that she should do inline skating. Not new news to me, but I liked hearing it.
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote