S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: Will 3x125 be good for the future of our sport?
Positive Impact 15 45.45%
Negative Impact 7 21.21%
No Impact 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #41
Code Monkey

awesome! AZ. Thanks, I needed that bit of optimism.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #42
eduardoritos

3x125 is good for gear manufactures, if whe accept changing our recently purchased 4x110 skates.

Our sport needs:
1- Being olimpic
2- Growing in the amateur side (rec skaters doing races)
3- Having more TV races

Those things are easyier if many non racing people do rec or "spare time" skanting. If you know the sport, loves it, and enjoys watching races.
eduardoritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #43
eduardoritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
But the new skaters would have to use the same equipment and still lose.
Putting a good skater on small wheels will slow him down, but not that much.
The new skater needs to put in the time training before racing, then be ready to lose some.
Yeah. People need to accept that skating fast is a very technical think, and train hard, not the core or the muscles, but train the tech side (crossovers, turns, straigth push, swing arms... Those little thing that make this sport so hard but so FUNNY.
eduardoritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #44
tomcatsk8

I can only speak from urban skating point of view. Yesterday we have a 20 km urban run with some friends from Bulgaria, 15 people rollerskating in Bucharest.
Most people had 4 x 80 mm setups from Seba, and they were putting serious effort to keep the pace with the 4 tri-skaters of the group.
We had in the group a friend with Seba 3 x 110 and one with Powerslide Swell 3 x 110 and they were really fast, allways in front of the group. The 3 x 110 setups look great. My girlfriend and I had Powerslide Megacruiser 125 Pro, and they are not much faster than 3 x 110 setups. The 3 x 110 setups were better when accelerating from zero speed, the 3 x 125 were better at keeping speed and over not-so-good surfaces.
After yesterday I can say that for urban skating triskates are not good for skating, they are absolutely awesome and sublime!
tomcatsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #45
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatsk8 View Post
I can only speak from urban skating point of view. Yesterday we have a 20 km urban run with some friends from Bulgaria, 15 people rollerskating in Bucharest.
Most people had 4 x 80 mm setups from Seba, and they were putting serious effort to keep the pace with the 4 tri-skaters of the group.
We had in the group a friend with Seba 3 x 110 and one with Powerslide Swell 3 x 110 and they were really fast, allways in front of the group. The 3 x 110 setups look great. My girlfriend and I had Powerslide Megacruiser 125 Pro, and they are not much faster than 3 x 110 setups. The 3 x 110 setups were better when accelerating from zero speed, the 3 x 125 were better at keeping speed and over not-so-good surfaces.
After yesterday I can say that for urban skating triskates are not good for skating, they are absolutely awesome and sublime!
What wheels were did your girlfriend have on her skates? The stock Megacruiser wheels? If so, there are much better wheels out there (but they cost more).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 03:18 AM   #46
panch0

*I love my 3x125! I think it's easier to skate on 3 wheels than on 4.
*I went from 4x100 to 3x125 and didn't feel any difference ( I had taken a long break beginning when the 110's began to be used, spanning to the beginning of 125's).
*I feel 125's are easier to cruise/roll on but don't feel that they are faster at top speed than 125's.

*The only item that is crazy about 125's is the price. SO far we really only have a few choices, Matter One20Five for $200, MPC Black Magic for $180, Bont Red Magic for $220!! Personally I think this is too much for wheels. I'll be glad when good wheels appear in the market and I'll be glad if the price goes down to $150. If the price does not go down, I think it will be a bad thing for the sport. If the price is not accessible to the general public, then it's not good for the sport. I mean, who the heck around the world can afford these prices? I think only us in the USA where we can earn dollars and those around the world who are good enough to be sponsored and get the wheels for free. At European and World's marathon last year, there were almost as many skaters using 110's and 125's and the main reason was that many of them in 110's couldn't afford the 125's! In my opinion, the general use of 125's around the world, is going to come down to economics and not to technological details. If prices don't improve and I was a FiR official, I would vote "NO" on 125's just to keep the sport accessible to people around the world
Old April 25th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #47
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
What wheels were did your girlfriend have on her skates? The stock Megacruiser wheels? If so, there are much better wheels out there (but they cost more).
IN some cases, not much more:
Atom Boom Road ($106USD/set of 6)
Mota Hybrid ($104USD/et of 6)
Matter Image ($99USD for a set of 6)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #48
panch0

I've heard that Mota wheels are very good when they're brand new but that they lose their qualities very soon after that and get very slow. Let me know if anyone finds a different experience.
Old April 26th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #49
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I haven't had good luck with roll on 125mm wheels that are spoked (Atom Boom Road and MPC Black Magic), most likely because I am a heavier skater at 185 pounds (well, heavier as speed skaters go).

Matter wheels are still my go-to wheels for the best roll.
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #50
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I haven't had good luck with roll on 125mm wheels that are spoked (Atom Boom Road and MPC Black Magic), most likely because I am a heavier skater at 185 pounds (well, heavier as speed skaters go).

Matter wheels are still my go-to wheels for the best roll.
My team has the same problem with the Atom's. Zero roll compared to the Matters. Even our skaters under 170 can feel the difference.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #51
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
My team has the same problem with the Atom's. Zero roll compared to the Matters. Even our skaters under 170 can feel the difference.
The only spoked wheel that I feel a decent amount of roll on are the Roll'X X-Road. However, my first set had spoke issues and I had to get a replacement set (haven't rolled those yet). The new set is supposed to have fiberglass reinforced spokes.

The Roll'X are the lightest of the group at 166g each. Then the Atom at 184g each. Then the Matter at 188g each. Then the MPC at a whopping 215g each. The Matter feel like lead compared to the Roll'X. You figure at a 49 gram difference per wheel, that's more than an entire Roll'X wheel's weight per set.
Old April 27th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #52
panch0

I only skate outdoor so I can tell you that MCP Black Magic 125's have a lot of roll outside. If I'm drafting someone... 20mph is very easy roll for those wheels. I can say the same for Matter One20Five's. I'd say that Black Magics have slightly more roll and they absorb road irregularities slightly better than One20Fives.

Can we agree that Atom Boom, Black Magic, Red magic is the same wheel dressed in different logos?
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #53
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Has anybody had issues putting Mota Hybrid 125s on the CadoMotus TR-5 frames?

I just discovered that the wheels I got are not symetrical from side to side. The 'pour' side is significantly farther away from the wheel center plane than the logo side which causes the pour side to drag quite a bit on the TR-5's center 2 mounts for 110mm wheels. I mounted them logo out and logo in and the dragging stayed with the pour side. The frames eye-ball perfectly straight.

I'm going to have to grind off a bit of the pour-side machined surface before I can use these wheels.
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:00 AM   #54
Hard2Pass

Default Yes.

The 3X125 allows powerful skaters the means to put down more power to the floor. The 4x110 can mechanically only take so much, the 3X125 has unlocked higher speed potentials. The 125 evolution will take down all of the nationals records eventually. Stay ahead of the curve, don get left behind.
I anticipate times to become closer to that of ice after the transition is complete.
Hard2Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #55
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Has anybody had issues putting Mota Hybrid 125s on the CadoMotus TR-5 frames?

I just discovered that the wheels I got are not symetrical from side to side. The 'pour' side is significantly farther away from the wheel center plane than the logo side which causes the pour side to drag quite a bit on the TR-5's center 2 mounts for 110mm wheels. I mounted them logo out and logo in and the dragging stayed with the pour side. The frames eye-ball perfectly straight.

I'm going to have to grind off a bit of the pour-side machined surface before I can use these wheels.
I heard the same thing for Luigino frames using Mota or Atom wheels. The wheels are poorly made which I guess is to be expected for the price.

Quote:
The 3X125 allows powerful skaters the means to put down more power to the floor. The 4x110 can mechanically only take so much, the 3X125 has unlocked higher speed potentials. The 125 evolution will take down all of the nationals records eventually. Stay ahead of the curve, don get left behind.
I anticipate times to become closer to that of ice after the transition is complete.
3x125 indoor wheels will have to improve significantly before they will be superior at the higher levels of indoor skating (Junior, Senior, Classic). They simply don't hold the corners well enough at this time for the fastest skaters. 4x110 is superior at this point for those divisions.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:11 AM   #56
tomcatsk8

Quote:
We have now the stock wheels, they are pretty good, maybe the quality is not so good because they started to squeak right after we bought them, but still rolling well. We are already thinking to upgrade to Undercover T-Rex wheels or Matter Image.
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM   #57
spdkls

Quote:
They simply don't hold the corners well enough at this time for the fastest skaters. 4x110 is superior at this point for those divisions.
I don't know. I've watched the World Class men run 8.3's consistently on the Lethal's at meets. I think Brandon Hall ran an 8.29 at his home track in Seattle.

I do agree that the 125's can be better for indoors. I've seen some pics of what could be a new hub coming this summer from Matter, but you know how that is.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:26 PM   #58
kufman

Quote:
I don't know. I've watched the World Class men run 8.3's consistently on the Lethal's at meets. I think Brandon Hall ran an 8.29 at his home track in Seattle.

I do agree that the 125's can be better for indoors. I've seen some pics of what could be a new hub coming this summer from Matter, but you know how that is.
LOL .... ya

As far as 125's being fast indoors, I think they can be but it still seems to be like the way 3x110 was were it worked for mostly lighter skaters. I have seen many lighter skaters go fast on 125's but not many bigger skaters. I am still waiting for a 2nd company to make indoor 125's too. Matter's urethane doesn't hold up for nothing. Cracks after a couple practices and the roll dies just about as fast.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:52 PM   #59
matguy

Quote:

And, if I recall correctly, Brandon did that on the original outdoor 125's, before they had an indoor compound available.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:07 AM   #60
tomcatsk8

For urban skating, the 3x125 mm setup is a blessing. It can tolerate the city's not perfect pavement. Keeping your speed is easy, accelerating is a little harder, but this is good for training, right? Braking is harder, but that means you have to be more anticipative and increase your braking skills and slides. Mobility is not a problem as the wheels will tend to rocker after a few kilometers.

Yesterday we did another freeride tour in Bucharest (Romania), just my girlfriend and I. It was a longer ride than usual, 70 km one in the city, with a medium speed of 12.1 km/h. After that we were tired but not dead . Just the usual little pain in ankles and knees. We discovered the weak spots in our Powerslide Megacruisers (125 Pro). The wheels are squeaking more now, and the cuff screws (exterior) tends to unscrew, will try to fix this with some blue Loctite (there is not a trace of blue on any screw when we bought them, maybe Powerslide company run out of Loctite) or toothpaste.

So I think 3 x 125 mm setup can be a radical change in urban transportation, alongside foldable bike and big wheels kick scooter if the city municipality would be so smart to encourage that and create good conditions, meaning good pavement, large sidewalks. They don't require special tracks like the bikes, they don't need to be locked and guarded, they don't run with great speed like bikes, and they can offer one-hour-to-work fitness every day in the big cities.